1967 Sport Fury Convertible Factory "H" Code 383 4bbl Restoration

SportFury70

Reaction score
So It Begins, my stepfathers 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible restoration. I explained some of the history and information about the car in my photo garage but will recap and/or add for those who are just seeing this.....

The Car- The car is a 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible with a factory "H" code 383 4bbl Hi-Po engine with power windows, power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning. The car was built November 10th, 1966 (B10 on tag) at the Belvidere IL assembly plant. We are not sure if it is a numbers matching drive-train and transmission. See attached picture of fender tag.....

The History- We honestly do not know any of the history before my stepfather's ownership. The car however used to have a black bucket with "buddy" seat interior with a power drivers seat, and black top. The car also used to be a column shift with tilt-a-scope steering, and the original exterior color was SS-1 Yellow. The car had 1966 disc brake wheel covers and a Ford right hand mirror and was already painted the current blue color when my stepfather purchased it in 2003, the car was bought off of Ebay from Enid Oklahoma site unseen.

When my stepdad got the car he reupholstered the interior to how it is today the way he wanted it, light blue with a 3 spoke steering wheel and center console. He also put a white top on with a glass back window in instead of black with a plastic back "window". Now, before everyone scolds him on why would he do that blah blah blah I just want everyone to know he does not like black interiors on convertibles. He also does not really care for black tops on blue cars, and he wanted to make it to how he would have ordered it back in 1967.

The Plan- The plan is to redo the bodywork, repaint the car in CC-1 Medium Blue Poly, repaint the engine, and put better chrome on the car. My "personal" plan is to hopefully document the progress, and make an album of the car being done and sharing it on here when I have time.

The body and paint work are going to be done by a friend of a friend who we met in Carlisle 2020.

I hope you join us "along for the ride" in this journey.

Some pictures below from the ad that my stepdad printed in black and white back in 2003.....
conv  1.jpeg
conv 2.jpeg
conv 3.jpeg
conv 4.jpeg
conv 5.jpeg

What the car looks like today.....
conv 6.jpeg
conv 7.jpeg
conv 8.jpeg
conv 9.jpeg
conv 10.jpeg

Fender tag picture for all the decoding nuts like me. Please note the car was painted blue when my stepdad got it so it is going back to that color blue....
conv 11.jpg

Fender tag picture for all the decoding nuts like me. Please note the car was painted blue when my stepdad got it so it is going back to that color blue....View attachment 449406

I'm not trying to be anything other than curious, the tilt wheel and buddy seat appear in the black/white photo and not in the color. perhaps they are with the super tuner.

I'm not trying to be anything other than curious, the tilt wheel and buddy seat appear in the black/white photo and not in the color. perhaps they are with the super tuner.

I do know the tilt wheel is upstairs in the barn, that will go in my stepdads '67 V.I.P. when that hopefully will get done someday. Regarding the buddy seat, I am not sure where that is. I do believe it may have been sold, although I'm not 100 percent sure about that but who knows it could be in the barn too.

Hey everyone,

I'm back with more pictures before the disassembly.....
conv 40.jpeg

Now pictures of the engine before body and paint.....
conv 41.jpeg
conv 42.jpeg
conv 43.jpeg
conv 44.jpeg
conv 45.jpeg
conv 46.jpeg
conv 47.jpeg
conv 48.jpeg
conv 49.jpeg

More pictures of the engine, as you can see above and below there are things that are not at all supposed to be painted and the last person who had the car before my stepdad did a half *** job......
conv 50.jpeg

conv 51.jpeg
conv 52.jpeg
conv 53.jpeg

Now onto the disassemby, BUT I will keep everyone in suspense and that will have to wait until tomorrow. Stay tuned......

Hey everybody,

sorry I did not post any progress yesterday. It was a busy day and we had to put my best friend the cat to sleep, which I am still very upset and emotional about. I honestly don't wanna get into it right now.

Anyway it's disassembly time! At the rate we are going right now, we could probably have the car to the body and paint shop maybe this weekend. The disassembly first started on March 26th.....
conv 54.jpeg
conv 55.jpeg
conv 56.jpeg
conv 57.jpeg
conv 58.jpeg
conv 59.jpeg
conv 60.jpeg
conv 61.jpeg
conv 62.jpeg
conv 63.jpeg

Yes, progress. Very sorry for your loss, they do become part of the family.

Yes, progress. Very sorry for your loss, they do become part of the family.

Thank you and there is plenty of progress, oh and the car is not for sale by the way. It was my wannabe April Fool's joke. Thank you also for your condolences, it means a lot as that cat meant everything to me.

Hi folks,

Great progress is being made on the ole' convertible. Some of these pictures were taken on March 29 and some March 30th, the back bumper will stay on the car until it gets to our body and paint guy. We plan to drive it to the body guy as it is about an hour away from our house.....
conv 1.jpg
conv 2.jpeg
conv 3.jpeg
conv 4.jpeg
conv 5.jpg
conv 6.jpg
conv 7.jpeg
conv 8.jpeg
conv 9.jpeg
conv 10.jpeg

Back