1968 300 - Why won't my brake pedal return on its own?

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello -

Finally sorted out the cooling problem on my '68 Chrysler 300 (Champion aluminum radiator does a FINE job for less than half the cost of a recore), and while driving it, noticed that the brake pedal will not return on it's own. I have to hook my foot under the pedal and pull it up, or the brakes continue to drag.

Does it 70% of the time, other times it will return, but never consistently. I crawled under the dash and shot a bunch of PB Blaster all over the linkage, but it did not seem to help.

Previous owner said that the brakes are all new...haven't actually checked everything, but the MC is new for sure, as are all the lines, and the drums appeared to be new when I replaced the rims.

What would cause the pedal not to return?

Thanks...

Chris
Monroe, CT

I agree with 440sled, I think it's a booster issue. The only other thing I can think of is the spring inside the master cylinder has collapsed?

There is a vacuum valve in the booster that sticks and holds the brakes on. My 66 did the same thing for a while. The M/C was leaking brake fluid into the booster and I assume gummed up the innards.

I fashioned a return spring under the dash for a quick fix. After a while it quit sticking and I kept it for a spare after I converted the car to discs. I may have shot some brake cleaner into the booster thru the hose but I don't recall for sure.

The booster is now on my drum brake Polara doing a fine job.

Kevin

Back