For Sale 1968 Fury III Fast Top, NW Austin, TX -- $8,500 or FCBO offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cld

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey guys,
Here it is again, one final time. Saylor and I were talking but it didn't work out (no hard feelings, Saylor!). So I've relisted and need it gone within the next few weeks. I really want this car to go to someone who would appreciate it and take care of it. I have it listed at $8,500 but would take $7,500 from a FCBO member. I have shown it to so many people whose minds were blown by the reverse-thread lugs or by "that weird-sounding starter" (it's just the standard Mopar gear reduction rew-rew-rew), and those are bad signs that it will end up falling apart behind a shed. PM for email/phone or reply to CL ad.

Thanks

1968 Plymouth Fury III 2dr - 383-4V, 727

00606_bsjwKwF6Wt2_600x450.jpg

(google map)
Plymouth Fury III 2dr 1968 Fast Top. Original 383 4-bbl, 727 auto, 3.23 rear. Engine and associated systems are original except for electronic ignition and open air cleaner. Black exterior, black interior, original black vinyl top. Tilt/telescopic wheel. Has cruise control hardware but has not worked for at least 25 years. Has all AC hardware but not charged; likely would need full rebuild of AC system. 73,500 miles. Huge car but lighter than it looks; these Mopar unibodies are sneaky that way. $8,500 or offer. This car was originally listed in Round Rock, Texas but has been moved to Cedar Park due to lack of space.

This car is a survivor owned by two families since new; the original owner died in the early 1990s, and his brother sold the car to my family then. It has been garaged its whole life. Vinyl top is in amazing shape. Body looks great from 20 feet but up close has dings and scratches. The original owner got drunk and ran into a post in his garage ~40 years ago and you can see some Bondo cracking out of the hood (next to the "Plymouth" lettering) where the post hit. The driver's side front fender was also repainted during that repair and the paint has not held up as well as the rest of the car. The original owner also scraped the passenger side lightly along a guardrail (I think it's a safe assumption that drinking was probably involved again), and there is a line of filler visible along that side as well, below the aluminum trim strip. Overall the car has very little rust, mostly tiny small surface spots on the front fender. The trunk floor is the only area of real rust on the car, and this problem is typical of hardtop Mopars from this period due to water flowing down the back window.

The interior overall looks almost new, especially the back seat and dash. The only exception is the driver's seat, which is cracked and split and is now covered with a custom-made heavy, quilted black cloth seat cover. I have included a pic of how it looks under the cover. The headliner is good but has a couple small tears that are covered with stick-on patches to keep them from spreading. These tears are completely my fault; I accidentally pushed up into the headliner while taking out the back seat to clean out an old, dried-out mouse nest and pull the build sheet (which is pictured here).

The car was in storage in North Dakota for almost 20 years and believe it or not started on the first crank (after a lot of careful checking, cleaning, and pre-oiling, of course). Since coming out of storage, the carb has been rebuilt, the power brakes have been rebuilt, and it also has new heavy duty leaf springs, KYB Gas-a-just shocks, a new power steering pump, a new gas tank, a new radiator, new dual exhaust with H pipe and Dynomax high-flow (but pretty quiet) super turbo mufflers, new poly motor and transmission mounts, and new 235/70/R15 BFG T/A tires on plain black steel wheels. It is registered as an antique in Texas into 2018 on black 1968 Hemisfair plates. It starts, runs, handles, and stops better than it did 25 years ago.

I will include various original parts such as the dual-snorkel air cleaner, front wheel well trim, 14" hubcap set, and the original radiator if you want to re-core and use the top with the code on it. I'll also include a partial case of Brad Penn "green oil," which is what I use in it because the zinc, a spare new 235/70 BFG tire on a matching 15" steel rim, and a partial case of lead substitute. It has never been updated with hardened valve seats because there's never been any other reason to take the motor apart (a mechanic I trust said "Leave it; those engineers knew what they were doing.").

I would love for this car to go to someone who truly appreciates old Mopars, especially these big C bodies, and isn't going to park it behind a shed or take out the 383 for some Satellite "Roadrunner tribute" project or whatever. It breaks my heart for my family to lose this car after 25 years, but it's time. Please take care of it.

someone buy this beautiful car. its got good options and is in good shape.

no hard feelings, im sorry we could not get together about it. I still want it :)

- saylor

and the mopar starter noise = the noise you hear all the way across the parking lot at Wednesday night car night at the burger stand,, ahh magical beautiful sound.

ya man if someone asks whats wrong with the starter tell them to leave immediately

I wish I was in the market because I'd be all over this one but there's just no way. Good luck my friend.

Wow, if someone would buy my Imperial ragtop, I'd be on this one! Triple black just tickles my toes! Such a nice car.

We're neighbors! I live off Parmer near Mopac. We should grab a beer. I'd love to see your car.

Definitely! And I'd like to see your '66. Until a couple years ago I lived midway between Parmer and Scofield about a half mile east of Mopac. I now live up by Mopac and 45. Send PM with your info!

Would be nice if we all got together at cabelas on sat night. Would be cool to have several c bodies together

Hey FCBO folks! The triple black 68 fast top is gone. The price was fair and I'm confident in the new owner. She's now in a good home in NW (greater) Austin, TX. I've let the new owner know about this forum as well as C body dry dock. If you see him here I have no doubt you will provide appropriate support and wisdom, plus a healthy amount of ball-busting and bullsh!ttery. I will not check this forum again, since I think it would be too painful until I have this car back again or a similar car. Thanks for all your help and best of luck to everyone.

congrats bro. im sorry I didn't get it, but im glad it worked out for you. ill look you up next time I go to schlitterbahn :)

- saylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back