For Sale 1968 Fury III, Roound Rock TX ($12K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
Contact seller
Can't believe it's for sale...

1968 Plymouth Fury III 2dr - 383-4V, 727

00y0y_f5UY5Ea2JaP_600x450.jpg

00x0x_8J6qDXBa8x_600x450.jpg

Plymouth Fury III 2dr 1968 Fast Top (the Mopar name for this type of hardtop semi-fastback roofline). Original 383 4-bbl, 727 auto, 3.23 rear. Engine and associated systems are original except for electronic ignition and open air cleaner. Black exterior, black interior, original black vinyl top. Tilt/telescopic wheel. Has all AC hardware but not charged; likely would need full rebuild of AC system. 73,500 miles. Huge car but lighter than it looks; these Mopar unibodies are sneaky that way. $12,000 or best offer.

This car is a survivor owned by two families since new; the original owner died in the early 1990s, and his brother sold the car to my family then. Has been garaged its whole life. Vinyl top is in amazing shape. Body looks great from 20 feet but up close has dings and scratches. The original owner got drunk and ran into a post in his garage ~40 years ago and you can see some Bondo cracking out of the hood (next to the "Plymouth" lettering) where the post hit. The driver's side front fender was also repainted during that repair and the paint has not held up as well as the rest of the car. The original owner also scraped the passenger side lightly along a guardrail (I think it's a safe assumption that drinking was probably involved again), and there is a line of filler visible along that side as well, below the aluminum trim strip. Overall the car has very little rust, mostly tiny small surface spots on the front fender. The trunk floor is the only area of real rust on the car, and this problem is typical of hardtop Mopars from this period due to water flowing down the back window.

The interior overall looks almost new, especially the back seat and dash. The only exception is the driver's seat, which is cracked and split and is now covered with a custom-made heavy, quilted black cloth seat cover. I have included a pic of how it looks under the cover. The headliner is good but has a couple small tears that are covered with stick-on patches to keep them from spreading. These tears are completely my fault; I accidentally pushed up into the headliner while taking out the back seat to clean out an old, dried-out mouse nest and pull the build sheet (which is pictured here).

The car was in storage for almost 20 years and believe it or not started on the first crank (after a lot of careful checking, cleaning, and pre-oiling, of course). And it still does now: two pumps of the gas first, then turn key to on, press again once to set choke, then turn to start -- boom, every time. Since coming out of storage, the carb has been rebuilt, the power brakes have been rebuilt, and it also has new heavy duty leaf springs, KYB Gas-a-just shocks, a new power steering pump, a new gas tank, a new radiator, new dual exhaust with H pipe and Dynomax high-flow super turbo mufflers, new poly motor and transmission mounts, and new 235/70/R15 BFG T/A tires on plain black steel wheels. It is registered as an antique in TX into 2018 on black 1968 Hemisfair plates. It starts, runs, handles, and stops better than it did 25 years ago.

I will include various original parts such as the dual-snorkel air cleaner, front wheel well trim, 14" hubcap set, and the original radiator if you want to re-core and use the top with the code on it. I'll also include a partial case of Brad Penn "green oil," which is what I use in it for the zinc, a spare new 235/70 BFG tire on a matching 15" steel rim, and a partial case of lead substitute. It has never been updated with hardened valve seats because there's never been any other reason to take the motor apart (a mechanic I trust said "Leave it; those engineers knew what they were doing. Under the valve covers and inside the oil pan that's one of the cleanest old engines I've ever seen. . . no sludge at all").

I would love for this car to go to someone who truly appreciates old Mopars, especially these big C bodies, and isn't going to just take out the 383 for some Satellite "Roadrunner tribute" project or whatever. It breaks my heart to lose this car after 25 years. Please take care of it.

That's awesome. All the cool cars are coming up for sale recently.

I don't go to auctions or follow their results. Just a devastating family situation. I hope someone here will take it. Of course I do not expect to get 12 goddamn k for it. I just couldn't bring myself to list it for less because I've had it half my life. Not rational, I know.

Nice car you have there. I like the triple black. I'm one for working air conditioning, personally. Were that hooked up and operating, you'd have a far better chance at a higher price...just a suggestion. Wow, I'd almost do some trading...are you looking trade or cash??? PM me here.

I don't go to auctions or follow their results. Just a devastating family situation. I hope someone here will take it. Of course I do not expect to get 12 goddamn k for it. I just couldn't bring myself to list it for less because I've had it half my life. Not rational, I know.
My condolences for your situation. I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

Nice car you have there. I like the triple black. I'm one for working air conditioning, personally. Were that hooked up and operating, you'd have a far better chance at a higher price...just a suggestion. Wow, I'd almost do some trading...are you looking trade or cash??? PM me here.
Definitely cash only.

You're right on the AC, of course. It's always been on my list, but other things always bumped it down to a lower priority -- got to do the brakes so I can stop. Got to get new tires because the old ones were unsafe. Then got to do the springs and shocks because it's wallowing. Etc etc etc. I've always preferred driving with the windows open, so when I've had a few bucks around to knock one or two things off the list I've never felt like that was a top priority thing to fix. Even in TX where it's 150 degrees in the summer.

I haven't been on the forums for a while and didn't realize everything had changed... I'll try to figure out how to send a PM in the new format.

THanks

I'm personally very sad, I've always liked this car. Liked it the first time you posted it.

I should clarify, the AC system is all hooked up. Last time it was charged it held for a few weeks.

As recent events here on this forum have shown when a member needs help or advice it is nearly always given without question. Hopefully there is someone within this community willing and able to be the next caretaker of your beautiful car. Im only one lottery win away from asking for the keys.

I'm truly interested in this...gotta figure a couple of things first. It's just 444 miles away! Austin, TX is always a fun place to visit.

Great description of the car, BTW. Much better than the plain "car for sale" ads out there! LOL!

I like the car alot.. as you said, listed for a much higher price than actual market value but emotional attachments can be strong. I'd be trying to make a deal if I wasn't deep into my own project.

best of luck on the sale

That is a very nice car!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

As recent events here on this forum have shown when a member needs help or advice it is nearly always given without question. Hopefully there is someone within this community willing and able to be the next caretaker of your beautiful car. Im only one lottery win away from asking for the keys.
Dobalovr, thanks for your caring and generous comment. You seem like the type of person I would want to have it. Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments.

Anyone interested, no trades please, let me know. Make an offer. Please get in touch via PM here or reply to the CL ad and I can give you a phone number.

THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back