NOT MINE 1968 Plymouth Fury I 4dr 383 4bbl Commando

I've come to the conclusion after many years of exhaustive 'net research (LOL) that the 'Baby Moon' clip-on caps were just a earlier year production overrun <change my mind>
From what I've heard, certain departments had specs on the books for the clipped caps which were what was used in the 50-s & earlier but pretty much obsolete by the 60's. Similar to some local laws that may be still in effect like prohibitions against tying your horse outside city hall. Rather than try to change the rules, it was easy to give them what they spec'd. There's probably a broadcast sheet code for the clipped wheels.

Some trivia: B-body hemi cars used the same 15 x 6 wheels as Budd-equipped C's of the non-clip variety. They can bring big $ with the right markings / date codes. My '67 Fury with Budds has those wheels.

Some trivia: B-body hemi cars used the same 15 x 6 wheels as Budd-equipped C's of the non-clip variety. They can bring big $ with the right markings / date codes. My '67 Fury with Budds has those wheels.

hey boss ... what are the markings and/or did we discuss that somewhere here?

Reason I ask is I may have 10 sets of steelies from that era from C parts cars that I have/had no clue what else the wheels also went on (other folks may be like me as well) as I do not own any B Hemi cars.

thanks in any event

hey boss ... what are the markings and/or did we discuss that somewhere here?

Reason I ask is I may have 10 sets of steelies from that era from C parts cars that I have/had no clue what else the wheels also went on (other folks may be like me as well) as I do not own any B Hemi cars.

thanks in any event
There's lots of info out there on the hemi wheels. Believe there's a date code around the valve stem and specific wheel ID stampings on the inside of the wheel hoop. My wheels are in storage with my car away from my place, could take some pics but it might be a while. Some years back I spotted a boneyard 68 T&C with discs that still had its wheels & told a guy that had a hemi RR, he was thrilled to death because they were correct plus had date codes perfect for his car.

One give away that you may have these wheels is the raised nubs between the lugs, see pic-
hemi wheel.jpg

Yes, I have seen the "debate" here but I have been ill-equipped to participate with anything authoritative from the factory. All I could tell was stories of what I had seen.

@SIPLOWGUY produced some part numbers for the 15" wheels with clips going back to 1960 -- i never knew any of that.

i have owned 4 (including this one) '65-'68 PK (with paperwork) Furys, three had clips and this last one was the only one with "ears" and hubcaps .. but it does have disc brakes and 15 inch wheels.

I do NOT know the vintage of wheels on this last car as I don't have its ownership pedigree since NM retired it sometime in the distant past. ''

Still ... it very welll as a disc brake car, as @SIPLOWGUY notes, had 15 in wheels w/clips in 1968, OR 14 inch wheels with "ears", from the fleet order for it. I dont know.

Perhaps, now that I have the broadcast sheet, and IF somtbody can tell me what to look for, I can determine how it was ordered.

I like "poverty caps" on the mopar squads -- "baby moons" or "regular. They seemed to "mean business" on police cars.

Do admit a slight preference for the clip-ons for slabbie squads as that's all i ever recall they had when they were in service.

I am sure they (clip-on caps as well as "regular" ones) were on taxis too .. taxies never got my attention back then.

View attachment 508738View attachment 508739
I have historical pictures of the 'Baby Moon' clip-on type on cars going back to the 1930's, think Art-Deco era, also many historical Fury Police Car photos from the 1950's that had 'Baby Moons' on so it's a very old type wheel and I would take it going to the lug version wheel would be a cost cutting version as no time would be needed to rivet the clips on.

1936.Plymouth.jpg

5 Rare Mopar Police 15inch Wheels & Hubcaps.006.jpg

Police.Car.Photo.Collection.jpg

thanks chief.

no doubt stamping "ears" in the hub area, vs screwing "clips" in there, across millions of wheels saved Chrysler real money.

appreciate the pictorial retrospective too!

:thumbsup:

The NYPD had:
1960 Dodge Darts: 14" wheels with "pressure fit": hub caps
1961 Plymouth (Savoy?): 14" wheels with "pressure fit" 1957 Plymouth hub caps
1962 Dodge Dart: 15" wheels with "clip on" hub caps
1963-64 Plymouth Savoy: 14" wheels with "pressure fit" hub caps
1965 Plymouth Fury I: 15" wheels with "clip on" hub caps
1967-68 Plymouth Fury I: 15" wheels with "clip on" hub caps

Non-MOPARS of the 60's were 66 Chevrolet Biscaynes and 69 Ford Customs
Plymouths didn't return until 1971

MCY PCT No 2.JPG

RMPs 1962 Dodge 1961 Plymouth.jpg

My thoughts were that Chrysler used the "clip" wheels for 15" applications after going to 14" wheels in 1957. I didn't recall seeing 15" wheels prior to 1969 when the 15" wheel returned to the full size cars. It is interesting to see postings of the 15" wheel for Hemi cars with "bumps". I think the larger diameter hub cap was used up to 1967. I learned a lot on this post and expect to learn more. We need to enlighten each other.

Yea good information to know, I sort of thought that pre 1968/69 14" wheels were the lug type but it was the hubcap style I haven't been able to pin down in a historic photo or sales AD/brochure.
The only thing I found in Chrysler literature for 1967 is a brochure that has artist rendering of the cars/hubcap and enlarging they appear to be the clip-on baby moons on the Fury I even though the picture is not of the police car. The Fury II's image shows wheel covers.

1967 Plymouth Fury I vs II Hubcaps vs Wheel Covers.jpg

I don't know if y'all can make it out but the Fury I's looks like clip-on's and I don't think a Base Fury would have 15" wheels.
Most all the other 1967 sale AD's images I have are with wheel covers.

I think the "dark center" in the photos means the "hubcaps"? I havent seen the clip-on caps with any color on them. again .. i am learning stuff here for the first time so i dont have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of what I just said.

I also would observe that I haven't seen "clip on" caps on any mopar vehicle from 1969 forward -- NOT saying such wheels DONT exist, just that I have never seen such caps AFTER 1968 MY police cars (14" & 15")

Thank all you guys for helping out with this

:thankyou:

Took some pics of an original wheel from my 67 disc brake car. Per 67-68 parts books this was used on non-police 67 C's & 68 B & C non-police, part # 2823868. It takes the smaller press-on caps. Not sure what all the numbers mean or how any date code may translate. In the 65 parts book there is a 15 x 5.5" wheel used on police B-body which should accept the newer press-on caps. I do know for a fact that the baby moon clip-on cap has P/N 1943733 because I had an NOS one which I sold; that should be late 50's origin.
wheel 1.JPG
wheel 2.JPG
wheel 3.JPG

Last edited:
I wish I had the means to buy a Hemi car and strip the wheels from it to put on a C-body.
That would ruffle some feathers.

@amazinblue82
Old thread.
Any updates?
interior done (seats, dash pad,) except headliner/windlacing,

mechanicals done but will need top-end work one day, will repaint entire car as certain body lines required reconstruction, paint in several areas original primer showing thru .. just too much patina for me. we did leave bullet hole in it though .. added character and makes for a good story.

ohh, need correct spotlight for it too

Earlier in this thread I commented to leave the paint original.
I've changed my mind, I vote for new paint.

Back