1968 Plymouth furyiii

Reaction score
I need to upgrade the starter it’s a La 318 5.2 I heard of people putting mini starters on them I think right like 90-97 Dakota starter right any help would be great thanks In advance I’m still learning

You can do that or buy a mini-starter from places like Mancini. You do need a shiled for a mini-starter and may need a wiring terminal adapter.

Where can I get the terminal adapter kit
when installing mini-starter on my 72 Fury LA block
On eBay I purchased mini-starter for 1994-1995 Dodge Ram 5.9L V8, Denso Part# 128000-7810
12V, 10 teeth, 1.299” pinion, 9.145lbs. I think the Dakota is the same, but I am not sure.

Ordered $10 adapter from member @Badvert65. Need to remove terminal block on mini-starter to install.
I did not run a shield and had no issues over 10,000 miles before I sold the car in 2022.

What´s really the reason of using a newer style starter? If your engine is high compression or the old one is broken I could understand but my original one works fine and I can´t see an advantage of a new one. Car is starting well.

What´s really the reason of using a newer style starter? If your engine is high compression or the old one is broken I could understand but my original one works fine and I can´t see an advantage of a new one. Car is starting well.
Even if not high compression, the mini-starter is a better piece.
Spins the engine faster and uses less amperage to do it (I believe).

So when conditions turn against you (cold outside, battery a little weak, etc) a ministarter will get the engine running where a big-boy might not be able get the job done.

Even if not high compression, the mini-starter is a better piece.
Spins the engine faster and uses less amperage to do it (I believe).

So when conditions turn against you (cold outside, battery a little weak, etc) a ministarter will get the engine running where a big-boy might not be able get the job done.
Yea, but it doesn't sound like a Chrysler starter...

Yea, but it doesn't sound like a Chrysler starter...
Yes, but I got over that when the sound of a Chrysler starter signified to my neighbors I was trying to get my car started.
If it's been driven in the last month (meaning the fuel line and carb aren't empty) the mini-starter has it running in ~2-3 secs.

I'm not saying that I don't like the sound of the ole' big boy. I love the tar-aarrr-aarrr sound. But I like the 'modern' sound of a fast-starting engine better.

And the age old debate/screaming match begins. Real starter vs mini starter.
It has been at least 6 months since we have addressed this subject.:mad:

I love the tar-aarrr-aarrr sound. But I like the 'modern' sound of a fast-starting engine better.
My junk always starts, so I guess I have both worlds. :poke:

Seriously, it's always fun to debate the mini starters versus the real starters. Some get really serious, which makes me laugh. One guy said they were so much lighter and got really pissed when I said started calling them "girlie-man" starters. :rofl:

It's a "use what you want" deal... I probably won't go to a mini starter because I'm still strong enough to hoist one in place (LOL) and I can fix the old ones.

Starters, carbs, shocks...... We all seem to have our preferences, maybe based on good experiences, maybe based on bad experiences or whatever. Just glad we have choices, and don't get too worked up! Lindsay

I put in a starter from a dakota years ago and don't regret it. Sure it sounds different but thats only a few seconds, I prefer the car starting over hearing it crank...

Back