1968 Plymouth Sport Fury 440 4-Speed at Mecum

You guys have never been to one of these big auctions before, huh? $30k wasn't a real bid. The sellers reserve was probably $35-40k so the auction house bids it up to close to the reserve, with no real bidders, to try and get someone to bite at that high price. No one bid, so to the "Bid Goes On..." the car goes. You would be shocked at the "quality" of cars at the major auctions. Most are cobbled together and not good cars. And they all look good under the lights on TV. I'm just curious if its a real 4-speed car or not, seller says it is. The missing braces from the firewall to inner fender on the drivers side makes me question that.

Sometime in early 1967. I've seen a couple 67s without but its rare, need to document the SPDs when I see them. Current theory was there was some firewall flex, I've seen cars with one, two, or three braces.

Sometime in early 1967. I've seen a couple 67s without but its rare, need to document the SPDs when I see them. Current theory was there was some firewall flex, I've seen cars with one, two, or three braces.

The braces were added to give additional support to the firewall for the clutch pedal. Keep in mind that it took some muscle to operate the clutch pedals back when these cars were new.

I think that some of hardest things to find to bring this car back to life are the rocker moldings, wheel opening moldings an door panels. I'd bet this car is full of bondo.

Did 3 spd manuals have the brace?

Interesting stuff. A '67 from photo garage has no braces but I can't comment on originality. A '68 coupe I've seen had 2. Any pics of one with 3 would be great. My car has 2 braces. Memories of driving mine with the original clutch was that it was not a terribly stiff, hardly a challenge for the left leg. This also applies to all other manual mopars with stock clutches I've driven including muscle cars with big motors. I believe the idea that some clutches required a body builder to use is a myth, at least in stock form.
img_20200419_173921_946-jpg.jpg

It was also a good idea, back then, for the manual trans racers (1/8 and 1/4 mile) to have scattershields and "blankets" over the bell housing, to contain shrapnel should a clutch come apart "in the heat of battle". Many times codified in the track's safety rules and those of the sanctioning body for the particular track (i.e., NHRA, IHRA).

As I recall, before grippier frictions were applied to clutches, the spring pressure in the pressure plate was elevated for some products. Many were know to be not easy to modulate in normal street driving AND city traffic situations. A seeming "badge of courage" for those that had them?

Enjoy,
CBODY67

The braces were added to give additional support to the firewall for the clutch pedal. Keep in mind that it took some muscle to operate the clutch pedals back when these cars were new.

I think that some of hardest things to find to bring this car back to life are the rocker moldings, wheel opening moldings an door panels. I'd bet this car is full of bondo.

I can attest to the firewall flex being present - my 66 Monaco 440 4 speed car shows sign of repairs by the clutch pedal mounting on the firewall, as well as flex-based wear in the pedal pivot. It's no wonder the factory made the changes.

I haven’t heard of this flex problem in b bodies, 68-70 at least.

I’m guessing because they are unibodies?

As is a C body... however, the stub frames on our cars are bolted on, and while I may have this wrong, I think the stubs on Bs are welded on other than the K member, correct?

So are the pedals mounted differently on B bodies?

I don’t think so. Mounted to firewall with brake pedal Assy.

I was just saying the firewalls didn’t have extra braces and I’ve not heard of a flex problem. Was just surmising that the reason was the full front unibody.

I don’t think so. Mounted to firewall with brake pedal Assy.

I was just saying the firewalls didn’t have extra braces and I’ve not heard of a flex problem. Was just surmising that the reason was the full front unibody.
Makes sense.

The B-bodies have the inner fenders welded directly to the firewall near the M/C making it more rigid compared to C-bodies where the inner fenders are free standing and the firewall has an open expanse of sheet metal.
braces.JPG
MC 2 temp.JPG

Back