1968 Polara 500 convertible

checkoutmyjunk

Reaction score
Boy has the learning curve been sharp for me.

Here is what I am up against currently. The front brake hoses I took off the car were about 14" and the ones I bought are 13.75". With the car jacked up and and the wheel at full lock, the hose is tight, so tight that I could see them ripping off under the right circumstances. Luckily there are several options for front hoses. After researching all of them, I found that they all are either 13.8" or 13.75", or at least they are called out that way on Dorman and Raybestos specs. The one I bought is pictured below.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? If yes, what is the solution? I'd hate to fork over the money for customs for the sake of .2" but I will if I have to.

hose.jpg

Last edited:
I've just bought a pair a few weeks ago from rock auto for my '67 Monaco, didn't think I'd need to look out for the length. I'll measure them and get back to you tomorrow about what I find. What I bought are SUNSONG 2201167. Just looking on-line right now for the specs, I'm seeing 13.77 inches.

Brake Hoses that are too short are a SERIOUS problem…
I can give you longer brake hoses for any application on the
planet — and they are U.S.A. made and —- NOT —-
“ sunsong “ ….

P.M. me, if interested….

@checkoutmyjunk:

The front brake hoses I took off the care were about 14" and the ones I bought are 13.75". With the car jacked up and and the wheel at full lock, the hose tight, so tight that I could see them ripping off under the right circumstances.

Me:

I've just bought a pair a few weeks ago from rock auto for my '67 Monaco. What I bought are SUNSONG 2201167.

@checkoutmyjunk:

IMG_9836.JPG

Me:

cringe.jpg

@checkoutmyjunk:

The front brake hoses I took off the care were about 14" and the ones I bought are 13.75". With the car jacked up and and the wheel at full lock, the hose tight, so tight that I could see them ripping off under the right circumstances.

Me:

I've just bought a pair a few weeks ago from rock auto for my '67 Monaco. What I bought are SUNSONG 2201167.

@checkoutmyjunk:

View attachment 631912

Me:

View attachment 631913

Okay MoPar~Man, you cringe at the brake hoses I was sold, but did you have anything constructive to add? I mean, I started the post explaining that I already knew the hoses were not a good solution; right?

Brake Hoses that are too short are a SERIOUS problem…
I can give you longer brake hoses for any application on the
planet — and they are U.S.A. made and —- NOT —-
“ sunsong “ ….

P.M. me, if interested….

Thanks, mobileparts
What is the part number and where do I order them?

I'm wondering if something like this is available, in imperial not metric:

An extra inch of length might be better than just having it the original length.

P.M. me as per forum rules…
With a 7/16 “ - 20 male, and a 3/8 “ - 24 female,
I can give you 14 “ , 14 1/2 “ , 15 3/4” , and Longer…..
They will all be far less expensive than having them custom made….

For what it is worth: I have a 1968 Plymouth Fury with Drums on all 4.

I had problems with the rear and front hoses (and rear wheel cylinders).

Rear hose part number that was supposed to fit was Dorman H19015. The male fitting on the hose was too small (it goes into the female fitting on the rear axle). Looking through pictures and notes at the parts store we found a Car Quest number BHA24717 that fit and had the correct length.

For the front hoses the old ones I pulled off are about 15 3/8 inches long (I think I put them on the car about 30 years ago, so I suspect these are the correct length). The replacement part that was supposed to fit was Dorman H53540. It is about 13 3/4 inches long. It would bend/kink if I forced it on (it is too short).

I called Dorman, Raybestos, Sunsong, and Dynamic Friction (they all show 13 3/4 to 14 inch hoses).

We tried to search their parts based on fittings and lenghts. One part number looked promising (Doorman H36602). It is 15 inches long, but has the wrong male thread type (looks like a fine thread).

There are a few other part numbers I will try to see if they fit.

Another "for what it is worth": Rear wheel cylinders I purchased had the wrong bolt sizes (threaded holes in the wheel cylinder that hold the wheel cylinder to the backing plate were too small). Had to shop a few stores to get the correct parts (Napa found the correct part in the end).

Hope this is helpful. Your milage may vary. ;-)

Back