For Sale 1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible Project - Burlington, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the sedan home today after a bit of drama, we will be picking up the second car on Sunday now as we ran out of time. Part of the reason that happened was because there was a major accident on the way to the destination, and not your usual fare either. We first came across an ambulance being towed out of the median area between the north and south highways before coming across the accident scene. It was an Armored car that had gone off the highway and crashed through the trees, it looks like it may have flipped as the roof is badly buckled too. Place had cops with rifles at the ready as another armored car arrived while we were there.
As for the car, got it loaded up and hit the return trip getting home rather late, luckily there were no hiccups for us.

Highway crash.jpg
Highway crash1.jpg
DSCF3460.jpg

The sedan pics enlarged and some convertible ones too. On closer inspection I'm not so sure these cars will be saved, but I will do a very good detail check on the convertible once it gets home before making a final decision. The sedan has more rust than originally thought with rust through in some footwells as well as the trunk area and back window. The interior is rather bad too. Considering the value of a four door it would take some big bucks to bring it up to driving condition. The convertible has no engine or box in it either, or radiator or rear seat at all. The exhaust system in the sedan is good, too small for a 440 though and I am thinking would go better in my 383 sport fury.

18952684_10158824645970608_217576837314631795_n.jpg
19059336_10158824645105608_3241434662059140975_n.jpg
19113511_10158824646845608_8187492140422633914_n.jpg
26169360_10159795745760608_6018605839231681106_n.jpg
26001046_10159752229035608_2911961279608343461_n.jpg
DSCF3461.jpg

On closer inspection I'm not so sure these cars will be saved, but I will do a very good detail check on the convertible once it gets home before making a final decision. The sedan has more rust than originally thought with rust through in some footwells as well as the trunk area and back window. The interior is rather bad too. Considering the value of a four door it would take some big bucks to bring it up to driving condition. The convertible has no engine or box in it either, or radiator or rear seat at all. The exhaust system in the sedan is good, too small for a 440 though and I am thinking would go better in my 383 sport fury.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Dang! So sad...

Robert

A pity they may not survive. I cannot remember the last time I saw a 4dr console car.

The sedan pics enlarged and some convertible ones too. On closer inspection I'm not so sure these cars will be saved, but I will do a very good detail check on the convertible once it gets home before making a final decision. The sedan has more rust than originally thought with rust through in some footwells as well as the trunk area and back window. The interior is rather bad too. Considering the value of a four door it would take some big bucks to bring it up to driving condition. The convertible has no engine or box in it either, or radiator or rear seat at all. The exhaust system in the sedan is good, too small for a 440 though and I am thinking would go better in my 383 sport fury.

View attachment 164446 View attachment 164447 View attachment 164448 View attachment 164449 View attachment 164450 View attachment 164451
thanks for the report, Gary. Glad ya made it safely back.

Okay I have gone over the car and can report on its true condition, mostly. The car is worse than it appears. I was inside it and noted that all the vinyl on the seats crunched and crackled as i sat on it because it was all so hard. The door cards all are deteriorated too. The floor has sheet metal patches in places to cover rust holes as you will see in one of the pics. The dash is a mess as the hole in the windshield has been letting water in for 2 years and the pad is ruined, there is mold in and on everything too. The headliner is trash and in the pics you will see the roof brace is partially collapsed and also in the other pic you will see white spots, that is body filler oozing through the roof skin from the outside.
The outside pics show the entire roof has been covered in body filler, I would hate to see whats underneath. Also the rear window area shows heavy rust through which again, is some major repair.
The trunk floor has a couple of holes in it too but is basically solid.
The cowl shows rust holes in a few spots too. Basically at this point to do the body properly would require an entire tear down to a shell to do all rustwork. Then if you added in having to do the entire interior as well as replacement of glass, tires, brake system etc you are talking a major project to bring this car back and even then I haven't mentioned a respray which it would need. The paint is Kerflucked (My new word for the month)
I think you would be far better off buying a four door for $3500 to $5500 in driving condition than bother with this one. While it does have the center console, I don't believe this makes it a worthy contender of saving simply for that.
Now, I haven't gotten the convertible back yet and will be going over it in fine detail, I would put extra effort into that one if it is in similar condition. We will see once I get it here and give it the once over.

DSCF3462.jpg
DSCF3464.jpg
DSCF3465.jpg
DSCF3467.jpg
DSCF3468.jpg
DSCF3469.jpg
DSCF3470.jpg
DSCF3472.jpg
DSCF3473.jpg
DSCF3474.jpg

Here are a couple of more pics, I was told that the engine ran good when it arrived for storage in the yard, the remote fuel line for running the engine hanging over the radiator support supports the claim, but whether it runs now is another story, I will be checking soon on this. If the convertible proves to be a viable project I will be using whatever parts i can from the sedan to make the convertible complete. If not, I will use parts for my S23 and sell most of everything else. Either way, some 69 Chrysler 300 Parts will come up for sale, of which Dale @sauterd has already snagged some bits.

DSCF3475.jpg
DSCF3477.jpg
DSCF3480.jpg

Could you use some of the sheetmetal from the convertible to fix the 4Dr.?
The convertible has worse rust than the four door, I know the trunk floor and foot wells are gone in it. But here is my thinking, even if I was to do a full frame off restoration of the shell, I would still need another parts car for a new complete interior to fit into it. I just don't see the value in all that. The amount of work in this car doesn't warrant the big expenditure of time and money to end up with a car that is maybe, if I'm lucky worth $8K at the end of the day. I'm not looking to own a 4 door anyway.

I just noticed this, which is usually not a good sign...I agree with you even more now.View attachment 164555
Yah it is rotted through next to the drain hole as well further to the left and down, hard to see but it is all bubbled up with rust there too. With the hole in the windshield I'm sure there is rust in the inside cowl area too behind the dash frame ala Nicks "Dennis"

Okay got the car home today and parked it in the carport out of the rain. Also noted it has an electric antenna, is this factory looking to you?
A cursory glance shows it has factory electric seat drivers side plus electric windows, push button thumbwheel radio. Also disk brakes in place too. AC car, factory gold type color with white interior. I'm thinking this car could look stunning restored. I forgot to check the fendertag to see if it is an E86.
Once I have inspected the car properly with more pics I will load them up in a new thread. Stay tuned.

DSCF3517.jpg
DSCF3518.jpg

Okay got the car home today and parked it in the carport out of the rain. Also noted it has an electric antenna, is this factory looking to you?
A cursory glance shows it has factory electric seat drivers side plus electric windows, push button thumbwheel radio. Also disk brakes in place too. AC car, factory gold type color with white interior. I'm thinking this car could look stunning restored. I forgot to check the fendertag to see if it is an E86.
Once I have inspected the car properly with more pics I will load them up in a new thread. Stay tuned.

View attachment 164995 View attachment 164996

Staying tuned.

Jon-Stewart-Eating-Popcorn-320x320.gif

View attachment 164995 View attachment 164996
Agreed, a gold/white convertible will be stunning. Hopefully the basic structures are sound.

Looks like good parts on the sedan, rocker trim, console and the door panel trim can't be easy to source today.

Best wishes to you.

Agreed, a gold/white convertible will be stunning. Hopefully the basic structures are sound.

Looks like good parts on the sedan, rocker trim, console and the door panel trim can't be easy to source today.

Best wishes to you.
Thank you, I'm hoping I can save this one, i like the options and color combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back