NOT MINE 1969 Fury 4-door cop in north TX

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
1969 plymouth fury for sale by owner - Prosper, TX - craigslist $9,500 in Prosper, TX. 318 auto. Interesting car.

Looks like a "K" in the SO number, plus PE in the VIN. Remember the Police Patrol package was often ordered with a 318 or even a 225, versus the Police Pursuit with a 383 or 440.

1706212675406.png

Naaaa this ones been here before, I think it's been horse traded up & down the East Coast in the past decade, now it seems to be headed out west. Complete Clown Car.

I have saved pictures of this Nassau County 'Police' car from early 2021 when it was up in Long Island NY, I forget the story on it... Mall Display(?) High School program with some PD(?) or just a fanboi car but no one seems to care for it over in the real police car FB Groups.

Here's a real 1968 Plymouth Fury I PK 318 'Patroller'. Last seen on the market in 2014. Over the past 2 decades all I have really found were the Pursuit Fury's, not many Patrolers left I'll bet.

1968 Plymouth Fury I POLICE package California car NO RESERVE.001.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I POLICE package California car NO RESERVE.008.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I POLICE package California car NO RESERVE.012.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I POLICE package California car NO RESERVE.014.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury I POLICE package California car NO RESERVE.017.jpg

It was in the 2012 New York City police museum car show, where you can read the alcohol safety patrol graphics on the quarters, so it was likely from the STOP DWI programs.
I see a fun, easy maintenance vehicle for someone wanting in to the hobby.
If I had it, I would remove the decals, hook up a cb radio to the antenna, and I've got an old Amber Federal Signal beacon to put on the roof till I got around to removing the light mounts.
$9500 sounds high, until you consider paint and body work, which this does not appear to need.
Too bad I didn't see it before it headed to the southwest.

Last edited:
The decals are what confuse me. No Sheriff, local police department or constable has its own "Highway Patrol", as that is something reserved for the various States and Commonwealths.

The decals are what confuse me. No Sheriff, local police department or constable has its own "Highway Patrol", as that is something reserved for the various States and Commonwealths.
Nor in anywhere in the USA is there County 'Police', counties has Sheriffs, cities, towns & villages have police, states have highway patrols.

1969 Plymouth Fury I 4dr Nassau County Police.003.jpg

Plus the wood trim in the interior picture leads me to believe this is a pieced together fan boi clown car.

1706540087762.png

The car would be OK minus the goofy cop graphics. And that giant 1973 CB antenna has to go. I agree - a pieced together cop clown on what appears to be an original "K" SO number car.

Out of curiosity, I found that there actually IS a Nassau County Police Department in Nassau County, NY. Webpage - Nassau County Police, NY | Official Website

VIN.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah, some things on the graphics appear "askance" to a purist looking for an authentic COUNTY piece (vs. a statie rig).

All that could be relatively easily corrected, as noted in #5 above, if one wanted to "get it right."

IF there was also a "paper trail" as to its duty-service that would be something neat to have. Whip antenna may be correct for period though.

Nassau County has had a "police department" for a century (20 years ago I had M body of theirs and they helped me verify that THEY were the original purchasers, when they auctioned it, etc).

Last edited:
The car would be OK minus the goofy cop graphics. And that giant 1973 CB antenna has to go. I agree - a pieced together cop clown on what appears to be an original "K" SO number car.

Out of curiosity, I found that there actually IS a Nassau County Police Department in Nassau County, NY. Webpage - Nassau County Police, NY | Official Website

View attachment 641039

Figures, they even have the Highway Patrol emblazoned still on their cars, Boroughs, Precincts, Towns, Villages... only in Yew Nork. Maybe it is a real deal but the County Administration got a better deal at a local off the lot car dealer...
I don't see where this 'K' is in a SO number? <fill me in>

You have to really zoom into the SO number, but the "K" is discernable as the first character, although barely.

You have to really zoom into the SO number, but the "K" is discernable as the first character, although barely.
I don't see or make out anything resembling a K on the fender tag, I tried a decoding with viewing it like 4x in my paint program as all I could decode was paint lines and AM radio and gave up. I hate pictures of things you can't read. I use my phone to take pictures of model numbers and specs of electronic items that even with a magnifying glass is hard to make out, works great, take several shots though as some come out a little blurry if there is a little movement when it's snapped, delete those and just zoom up the clear ones.

AC.POWER.SUPPLY.LRG.jpg

I did spot the Ford starter relay in the lower right corner of the engine picture in the second or third time viewing.

I doubt it was a real patrol car.
The stop dwi program is an effort to reduce alcohol and drug use in the highways of New York state.
The state basically handed out money to local departments for them to try programs.
Likely somebody found the old car, and used the money to make an exhibition toy for educational programs and exhibits.

Back