1969 Fury left front drum brake locking and sticking.

forzav12

Reaction score
I am mystified. I have a 69 Fury vert drum brake car. Recently it started pulling to the left under any braking. Went out to address it recently(brake fluid low in one section of master) and the left front brake was completely locked. Pulled wheel, removed drum and hub with some difficulty. Saw that the wheel cylinder was leaking badly. I replaced the wheel cylinder, bled brakes and backed off the adjuster so the wheel spun freely. Reassembled and tried to drive. Immediately after moving a few feet, the left front drum locked up again(violently spinning the steering wheel I might ad). Rubber brake hose is new. Any ideas?

I am mystified. I have a 69 Fury vert drum brake car. Recently it started pulling to the left under any braking. Went out to address it recently(brake fluid low in one section of master) and the left front brake was completely locked. Pulled wheel, removed drum and hub with some difficulty. Saw that the wheel cylinder was leaking badly. I replaced the wheel cylinder, bled brakes and backed off the adjuster so the wheel spun freely. Reassembled and tried to drive. Immediately after moving a few feet, the left front drum locked up again(violently spinning the steering wheel I might ad). Rubber brake hose is new. Any ideas?
Contaminated brake shoes. Brake fld. has saturated the brake shoe lining. Replace brake shoes on both sides. If the brake shoes are dry and in good condition the right front brake hose is the probable cause. If found that way replace both front hoses.

The right hand brake cylinder may also be locked up from corrosion(stuck and not engaging). Always replace hoses and wheel cylinders on the front in pairs. Rear cylinders are also replaced in pairs. Noted the adjuster was not the source of the brake locking (stuck\leaking cylinder), so you should have left that alone.
Dave

Last edited:
Thank you both for the replies. Both front brake hoses have been replaced. The shoes did look wet. I do have the other wheel cylinder so I will replace in the morning and order shoes. Could either of these actually cause the wheel to lock and remain locked? thanks again.

Thank you both for the replies. Both front brake hoses have been replaced. The shoes did look wet. I do have the other wheel cylinder so I will replace in the morning and order shoes. Could either of these actually cause the wheel to lock and remain locked? thanks again.

Brake fluid can cause the lining to stick to the drum if the shoes are contaminated. Sticking wheel cylinders can cause brakes to lock up or not engage causing severe pulling to the side that is functioning properly.

Dave

Could it do it immediately? Only moving a few feet?

If there was lots of fluid on the lining, yes. The other side cylinder sticking puts all the braking to the side that is working, yes again.

Dave

As previously posted, always replace brake components in pairs. When replacing the shoes replace the springs & hardware as well.

Do parts houses sell the springs, etc?

Mopar used the same hardware kits for years, you will need to know the width of the front brakes and any good parts house should have the kits readily available.

Dave

Back