1969 Imperial progress thread

--> G A S K E T S <--

After the debacle with DMT, I contacted companies in Germany who could possibly make all my Gaskets. I did all the hard work myself by creating perfect fitting templates and af all the gaskets and provided digital data of all of them, still they all wanted a fortune just to cut them out (around 500€ for a set of all gaskets).

I decided to take matter into my own handy (again) and make my own gaskets. So I searched the web to find a way and stumbled across the Cricut Maker 3, a cutting plotter, initially made for (mostly women) to cut crafting materials... After researching the abilities of the machine, I finally made the move and bought a Maker 3 + Tools for ~600€. Yes, a lot of money as well, but now I can make as many gaskets as I want and even sell sets of rare gaskets no one in the market makes. I’m open for that if someone is interested. Just shoot me a PM.

After a bit fiddling around with the machine, I now have made all my gaskets no one makes and they are all a perfect fit!

After the first successfully made gaskets, I felt like I made fire for the first time! Soo satisfying!

Accelerator Pedal
The OEM material is a PE-foam and I will make gaskets with the correct material soon, but for now, I made it from EPDM Cellular Rubber since I had the material already. Should not make a difference, just doesn’t look OEM.

1969-Imperial__Accelerator-Pedal(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Accelerator-Pedal_01.jpg

1969-Imperial__Accelerator-Pedal_02.jpg

Cornering Lights
The EPDM Cellular Rubber is just like the EOM material, but black instead of the original grey material. I used adhesive backing foam, so I don’t have the glue the gaskets down separately like the factory did back then.

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights_01.jpg

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights_02.jpg

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights_03.jpg

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights_04.jpg

1969-Imperial__Corndering-Lights_05.jpg

Door Cable Guides
These are made of ABS Plastic sheet stock and are just the original ones.

1969-Imperial__Door-Cable-Guides(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Door-Cable-Guides_01.jpg

1969-Imperial__Door-Cable-Guides_02.jpg

Fender Turn Signals
Again, I used EPDM Cellular Rubber for the foam gaskets and ABS Plastic sheet stock for the housing gaskets.

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_01.jpg

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_02.jpg

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_03.jpg

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_04.jpg

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_05.jpg

1969-Imperial__Fender-Top-Turn-Signals_06.jpg

Headlamp Door Motor
I used paper gasket material for the housing gaskets, just like the factory did, and after researching a lot, I even found the correct material for the windings inside the motor. It's called fish paper, and it's a special insulating material designed specifically for use inside electric motors. I forgot to make a photo of the finished gasket, but it cuts nicely with the plotter and looks great!

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor_01.jpg

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor_02.jpg

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor_03.jpg

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor_05.jpg

1969-Imperial__Headlamp-Motor_06.jpg

Rear License Plate Lamp

1969-Imperial__Rear-License-Plate-Lamp(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Rear-License-Plate-Lamp_01.jpg

Front Bumper Turn Signals
The original gaskets were just squares, without the bended side, which made them fit (and seal) poorly. I have improved the design by adding the radius.

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals_01.JPG

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals_02.jpg

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals_03.jpg

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals_04.jpg

1969-Imperial__Front-Bumper-Turn-Signals_05.jpg

Wiper Motor
DMT sells them, but unfortunately, they don’t fit. The pencil line shows where I had to cut the DMT gasket for it to fit. I didn’t like that so I made my own perfect fitting one.
1969-Imperial__Wiper-Motor(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Wiper-Motor_01.JPG

1969-Imperial__Wiper-Motor_02.JPG

Tail lights
The most complex and finicky to make Gasket so far. But after some tries, it came out great! I just had to cut it in the middle and make them a two-piece gasket because it was to long for the machine. But that doesn't make a difference in the end result. Again, I used adhesive backing EPDM rubber foam, just like Chrysler did 54 years ago.

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_Split(EN).png

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_01.JPG

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_02.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_03.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_04.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_05.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_06.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_07.jpg

1969-Imperial__Tail-Lights_08.jpg

Tail lights
The most complex and finicky to make Gasket so far. But after some tries, it came out great! I just had to cut it in the middle and make them a two-piece gasket because it was to long for the machine. But that doesn't make a difference in the end result. Again, I used adhesive backing EPDM rubber foam, just like Chrysler did 54 years ago.

View attachment 604891

View attachment 604900

View attachment 604892

View attachment 604893

View attachment 604894

View attachment 604895

View attachment 604896

View attachment 604897

View attachment 604898

View attachment 604899

Awesome! A stunning achievement. If you decide to go into business with that thing, I could use some gaskets for my '66 300.

Awesome! A stunning achievement. If you decide to go into business with that thing, I could use some gaskets for my '66 300.
I'm not gonna make that commercially, but I'm interested in making other C-Body gaskets bigger companies are not interested in making for sure!
The biggest difficulty would be that I need the part the gasket is supposed for to make an acurate template. But if you like to send me some smaller parts to Germany, we can talk!

I'm impressed.

I knew of the Cricut machine and thought about purchasing one for another project. (Long story) I didn't even consider that it could make gaskets!!

From talking to DMT, he uses an industrial version of the same type of machine.... Which surprised me at the time because most of what I had seen done was with a steel rule die and clicker press.

I'm not gonna make that commercially, but I'm interested in making other C-Body gaskets bigger companies are not interested in making for sure!
The biggest difficulty would be that I need the part the gasket is supposed for to make an acurate template. But if you like to send me some smaller parts to Germany, we can talk!

Mighty fine, Julian!

I'm impressed.

I knew of the Cricut machine and thought about purchasing one for another project. (Long story) I didn't even consider that it could make gaskets!!

From talking to DMT, he uses an industrial version of the same type of machine.... Which surprised me at the time because most of what I had seen done was with a steel rule die and clicker press.
The nice thing is, you don't need any tooling, so small batches or even one-off pieces are possible!

Absolutely fabulous! Wunderbar! I'll certainly ping you for my 1966 New Yorker rear taillight gaskets. I do have spare housings and lenses that I could ship from over here.

I love your rationale! "500 euros for the cutting, after I've done the hard work? No way! I'll just buy a machine for 600 euros. Priceless. With some cottage industry sales, it will eventually pay for itself. The gaskets look great!!!

Back