1969 Plymouth Fury "Pursuit" coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Here's a pic of the engine bay:

View attachment 35596

Other original rocker on floor behind the front seat:

In some ways this car is in better shape than mine but overall it it probably needs more work.
In contrast here is mine as discovered.
2010-05-08_001.jpg

I'm well over $15000 in mine right now including the purchase and think it'll be another $5000 before I'm done.

Alan

In some ways this car is in better shape than mine but overall it it probably needs more work.
In contrast here is mine as discovered... I'm well over $15000 in mine right now including the purchase and think it'll be another $5000 before I'm done. Alan

yup, that's the number range for a high quality resto in my experience when they start like this these do but are otherwise mostly complete (finding correct cop-spec hard parts can be tough).

while you'd probably rather not, the '69's (CHP cars and other sedans, and any rare-as-hens-teeth cop car coupe from that year), as others have mentioned above, are still the ones to "go deep on" though if maximum investment recovery is one future goal upon resale.

the 69's were performance/design standard setters it seems and very desirable as a result.

good luck to you too on yours Alan

That's one of those odd 383 air cleaners with no snout we were talking about a few weeks ago.

That's an unsilenced air cleaner .. draws air around the bottom. Base is smaller than the top and has appox 1" gap all around

Standard equip on 1968-69 340, 383 and 440 4-Barrel (except very early 68)

Did they come on any C bodies also?

I kind of wonder what this car looked like before it got parked and then the transformation from that point up to today. Then why it took so long to put up for sale as that transformation happened right in front of one's face?

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Here's a pic of the engine bay:

View attachment 35596

Other original rocker on floor behind the front seat:

View attachment 35597

Adian, what I can tell you from my 25 years of experience of MoPar collecting and restoring is this.

If you can afford to restore this car, you should. Don't hesitate, buy it. It is very rare and desirable, rarer than V code Sport Fury GT's etc. It is the "holy grail" of MoPar police cars.

Having said that, of course rare does not always translate into desirability or a substantial return on your investment. But by buying this car, at a minimum you are joining a VERY small group of owners of these cars specifically. And once this car is restored it will be very desirable to a much larger group of MoPar collectors, in my humble opinion.

What I can verify from the photo is this. You are looking at a PK21K two door, fleet ordered Police Pursuit. With special ordered code 99 paint, brown and white which is unusual. K code Police only 440 Commando 360 HP engine. It has the original unsilenced air cleaner. There are holes on the drivers side fire wall for a siren. Which are similar to VSP location. lt Should have HD 727 torque-flight. It shouldn't have Sure-Grip, most police cars did not, for safety and traction reasons. Look at the diff. or the build sheet to verify. It has extra body welds for structural reinforcement , unibody and subframe for extra stiffness (done by hand) e.g. = hand built car to some extent. Roof reinforcement plate for lights/siren. Battery heat shield. Spot light (obviously). etc. Correct 1968 B-Body steering wheel in black. Which was a Pursuit only build item, a B-body wheel in a C-body. The 69 Polara CHP cars got a white steering wheel, the 69 Fury Pursuit got it in black.

Possible options are tow package goodies, which may be on the build sheet. And special police only high speed tires.

This car clearly served in some capacity which is unknown at the moment. It's up to you to find the agency in which it served.

The VSP (most likely choice) put the unit numbers on every car that served whether it was a patrol car, scales car, or Pursuit car. Look on the fire wall next to the A/C box, in the glove compartment and the rear deck lid near the drivers side hinge for a number in yellow or white paint pen for a THREE digit number, painted by hand.

Try and save the floor mat, be very careful if you remove it, NOT to rip it. It may be very brittle. These are impossible to find in good condition. Try and save it at all costs.

The car is worth it, totally rare and cool. You'll be the ONLY one on your block to have one! :)

I have seen cars that are in far worse condition restored. The fire wall looks good, which is a good sign. Hopefully the frame rails are ok too.

If you need help, let me know. I have contacts in the VSP if your car served with them.

Good luck and remember the early bird gets the worm! If you don't buy it soon, someone will and soon.

FP

Last edited:
Thanks man, great advice. Car has Department of StatePolice sticker in the front window, dated 1976-1977, so the car has been offthe road a long long time (thus leading to the deterioration I would imagine -being stored outside does not help, it has been there some time as nogrowth under the car). I hope to seal the deal over the next few days (the owner has to move some vehicels out of the way etc.), if I lose out, and I really hope I don't, at least I've given it a shot. That is all I cansay. I realize it is a MASSIVE project but I intend to preserve it as is -not part out, modify, hot rod etc. etc. Just a plain jane stout machine.

I have many more photos and yes, the rear frame rails are not great, mainly badlooking at the back. To be honest, the frame rails are my greatest worrybut everything can be fixed with time and patience (actually the wholeunderside is pretty brown if you get my meaning, heavy scaly rust). Rockersneed work, floors are bad, exhaust system has disintegrated (no surprise there), on top of the
cowl there is some rust thru at RScorner in front of windshield (which does not bode well for the lower cowl and floors, as per Alan's Polara) etc etc. Patience patience!

I agree with Pete Kaczmarski: County Sheriff Car.

From my internet research, on Virginia State Patrol, the paint colors have been blue and gray at least since the 1950s. Since the original color is brown and pale yellow, I do not believe this is a VSP car. This color scheme is typical for county police cars in our area. In fact, in King William County, Virginia, where I live, the police cars are still the exact same two-tone brown and pale yellow. County police departments are set up with an elected sheriff and many hired deputies. I think that since the car is equipped so nice and a coupe, it may have been a county sheriff's car. Basically, he was the boss and could order what he wanted. Thus AC in a cop car.

I talked with the seller. The seller found the car in Mechanicsville, VA, which is in Hanover County, adjacent and west of my county. In Virginia, each county or city is responsible for buying its own cars, using locally collected taxpayer dollars. Real Estate taxes are the big contributor. My guess is a Hanover County Sheriff's car, although it could be from King William or any number of other rural counties in Virginia. Exception: Henrico County, which is west of Hanover, had white police cars in the late 1960s. Also, the county seemed to be buying Fords, from what I can see on the internet. The Richmond City cars (west of Henrico) looked different too.

The green sticker in the window is a state safety inspection sticker. "Approved March" and 1975 cut out means that the car was last inspected in March 1975. The nine means that it was due for inspection again in September, but for reasons unknown, never made it back to the inspection station. Probably, the car was sold at auction after the county emblems were removed. The civilian who bought it probably had it inspected, was driving it, and then parked the car. Most likely, it's been sitting since 1975, waiting for help. Go Aidan!

Below is a link to a report made before Virginia changed over from semi-annual to annual inspection. The report is dated 1978.
http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main/online_reports/pdf/78-r36.pdf

DSCN7767.jpg

Last edited:
This shows up as updated but I'm stuck on page 7 with no new posting?

Alan

Page 8 had some most interesting info; I couldn't read it to the end though. :)
Hope it will come back.

Here's the text originally posted by 1970FuryConv that seems to have disappeared - just happened to have it on-screen when something messed up.

"I agree with Pete Kaczmarski: County Sheriff Car.

From my internet research, on Virginia State Patrol, the paint colors have been blue and gray at least since the 1950s. Since the original color is brown and pale yellow, I do not believe this is a VSP car. This color scheme is typical for county police cars in our area. In fact, in King William County, Virginia, where I live, the police cars are still the exact same two-tone brown and pale yellow. County police departments are set up with an elected sheriff and many hired deputies. I think that since the car is equipped so nice and a coupe, it may have been a county sheriff's car. Basically, he was the boss and could order what he wanted. Thus AC in a cop car.

I talked with the seller. The seller found the car in Mechanicsville, VA, which is in Hanover County, adjacent and west of my county. In Virginia, each county or city is responsible for buying its own cars, using locally collected taxpayer dollars. Real Estate taxes are the big contributor. My guess is a Hanover County Sheriff's car, although it could be from King William or any number of other rural counties in Virginia. Henrico County, which is west of Hanover, had white police cars in the late 1960s. Also, the county seemed to be buying Fords, from what I can see on the internet. The Richmond City cars (west of Henrico) looked different too.

The green sticker in the window is a state safety inspection sticker. "Approved March" and 1975 cut out means that the car was last inspected in March 1975. The nine means that it was due for inspection again in September, but for reasons unknown, never made it back to the inspection station. Probably, the car was sold at auction after the county emblems were removed. The civilian who bought it probably had it inspected, was driving it, and then parked the car, Most likely, it's been sitting since 1975, waiting for help. Go Aidan!

Below is a link to a report made before Virginia changed over from semi-annual to annual inspection. The report is dated 1978.
http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main...pdf/78-r36.pdf "

attachment.php

Thank you, Greg B. I had just registered as a new member. I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps my membership hadn't finished processing? By the way, my original post has reappeared at the bottom of page 7, so the above is a duplicate.

Last edited:
I've reread the entire thread and have had time to chew on that unique car.
Right now I'm pretty sure that car is TOAST with a capital T. On the body, there's more rusted away than there is good stuff remaining. There just is no car left. Just the drive train. So what do you do?? Remove all the unique cop items only and transfer them over to an look alike donor car?

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Its either that or sacrifice a good donor car to the Mopar gods in order to fix it (the latter is advice that I have received from a good friend well versed in fixing up rusty wrecks). And even then, I have found it near impossible to locate a standard civilian '69 Fury I or II 2-Door Coupe model (certainly on the 'Net), where are they?! A 2-Door Formal Hardtop has the same body/roof (just without the B-Pillar), but again, these are as rare as rocking horse sh$#e, excuse my French....

I am still thinking it over, however, I would really like to restore the original body, no matter how long it takes. If it is re-bodied, to me it is simply not the same car anymore. Maybe not everybody would agree with me there, its just that it wouldn't be right you know? Maybe I am naïve in this thinking but each to his own I guess.

Cheers, Aidan

Run with it Aidan, I hope you try it and I hope you are successful ...... it NEEDS to be saved

Thank you Sir. I have been meaning to postthe following for a little while now, and feel the time is right since thesuccessful acquisition of the Fury Pursuit: I have been a member of ForC-Bodies Only for a relatively short time now and I am so impressedwith the knowledge and conduct of the members. The organisation is sohelpful in every way. A recent example is my dealings with good friend inVirginia forum member 1970FuryConv. This car happened to be locatedin his neck of the woods and he assisted by inspecting the car andproviding honest and thorough feedback, and numerous photos (both before andsince the purchase of the car). Simply a pleasure to deal with.

I know all too well the car is a challenge, I guess I seem to be addicted torust (owning quite a few relics, the worst being a basket case '65 Malibu SSconvertible and '73 Fury Gran Sedan. Those are BAD). But the combination ofalways wanting a big-block 2-door Fuselage C-Body and being a huge American cop car fan,I knew it was right for me. No matter how big the challenge. We face challengeseveryday in our lives. This is just another for me, I hope I live a long time in order to resurrect this thing lol. Hey, if rusted out '69Charger R/T's etc. can be resurrected, then this unique car can too.

So thanks to all, and especially 1970FuryConv!

Sincerely, Aidan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back