For Sale 1969 Polara coupe (383-2, grey/black bench/black vinyl top, $12k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stay practical as the car salesman found out this afternoon when he got grilled. So I don't see anything that rationally justifies his asking price.

many several obvious things wrong with it

Can you share more info in the case at hand? It's the second post in which you hint at issues without giving specifics. Thanks in advance! If you prefer offline, please PM me.

It's a beautiful solid car in excellent original condition , with a desirable color combination. Interior is nice, trunk is solid with minimal surface rust from the trunk mat. Cheap Bastards will always be cheap Bastards . Then you have those willing to step up and pay for solid original cars which should be at the higher end of the price scale. This car appears to qualify for the high side, regardless of options.

Color, disc brakes, big block, why not ?

Last edited:
It's a beautiful solid car in excellent original condition , with a desirable color combination. Interior is nice, trunk is solid with minimal surface rust from the trunk damn mat. Cheap Bastards will always be cheap Bastards . Then you have those willing to step up and pay for solid original cars which should be at the higher end of the price scale. This car appears to qualify for the high side, regardless of options.

Color, disc brakes, big block, why not ?

And A/C! I must have missed some of the photos and description when posting my earlier comments. Beautiful car and worth the money in my opinion, and "drives perfect". What is not to like? The interior is mint and I would love to have that dashpad. If only it were a Monaco, then I would be seriously tempted.

love it ! That would for sure be my first "Dodge" C body if I could afford it....

Thread reminds me of "Bring a Trailer" which is full of fan boys in the comments section. I recall a car for sale where they ooh and ahh all over, yet had many several obvious things wrong with it, as they thought the price was well worth it. It wasn't. Sorry, but I am not a fan boy in regards to anything. I'm paid to think clearly and come up with rational and logical options for people at all times. The only time I am not rational is when a vendor does something that calls my reputation into question. I'd usually fire them the moment I get the rep on the phone but my receptionist intercepts the phone call to head it off at the pass till I relax and back to normal.

Fan boy here and sorry to offend your sensibilities (not really). Get over yourself.

That friggin' thing is sharp. Wheels are kinda bla bla for me but if I had 12g to buy it, getting the wheels right would just be another good time to be had.

I don't think of myself as a fanboy.

But if that cherry '70 300 Convertible ever shows up...I might change my mind.

And A/C! I must have missed some of the photos and description when posting my earlier comments.

You did not miss anything. Those pictures were not there in the original eBay ad. I contacted the seller (as I like the car) and asked him for these additional pictures. He posted exactly what I had requested pretty much right away, which I take as a very good signal.

Beautiful car and worth the money in my opinion, and "drives perfect". What is not to like? The interior is mint and I would love to have that dashpad. If only it were a Monaco, then I would be seriously tempted.

On my side, the question is not Monaco vs. Polara but whether I want to hold off for a 383-4 (or a 440) and for buckets with buddy seat.

One way to solve the engine riddle is answering the question of whether the 383-4 is more temperamental than the 383-2? I understand the latter has been called a "dog" vs. the former, but what I have in mind is ease with restarting the engine when hot, etc.

Comments/thoughts?

trunk left s-l1600.jpg

trunk right s-l1600.jpg

engine s-l16003.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Decoding courtesy of MyMopar.com:

D: Dodge Polara,Monaco
L: Low
23: 2 Door Hardtop

G: 383 290HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
9: 1969
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

248398: Sequence number

E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
A4: Silver Metallic Exterior Color
A4X9: Trim - Basic, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Black
L1X : Unknown Int. Door Frames
317: Build Date: March 17, 1969
167192: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
A48: Dress Up Package
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

L35: Cornering Lamps
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
A01: Light Package
Y14: Sold Car

25: Unknown
END: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:
One way to solve the engine riddle is answering the 383-4 more temperamental than the 383-2? I understand the latter has been called a "dog" vs. the former, but what I have in mind is ease with restarting the engine when hot, etc.
The ONLY thing that makes the 383-4 more temperamental than the 383-2 is the 4bbl carburetor itself. They are nearly the same engine.

The ONLY thing that makes the 383-4 more temperamental than the 383-2 is the 4bbl carburetor itself. They are nearly the same engine.

Thank you for confirming. I should have been clearer: what I meant to ask is, bottom line, is the 4-barrel more temperamental than the 2-barrel?

Thank you for confirming. I should have been clearer: what I meant to ask is, bottom line, is the 4-barrel more temperamental than the 2-barrel?
More? Yes.
But not significant enough, in my opinion, to not have a 4bbl.
Personally, I think the best engine of any Mopar engine was the 383-2
Absolutely the smoothest idle, accelerating and cruising engine in the line.
Closest you can get to fuel injected smoothness.
Getting a 440 to idle without the slightest idle RPM "hiccup" is damn near impossible. Ask Javier... :poke: @73 T&C

The 383 -2 is a dog. The 383 - 4 is a great engine. Granted, my experience is limited with both but when comparing there is none. MPGs , idle, starting my 4 out performed my 2 every time.

You did not miss anything. Those pictures were not there in the original eBay ad. I contacted the seller (as I like the car) and asked him for these additional pictures. He posted exactly what I had requested pretty much right away, which I take as a very good signal.

On my side, the question is not Monaco vs. Polara but whether I want to hold off for a 383-4 (or a 440) and for buckets with buddy seat.

One way to solve the engine riddle is answering the question of whether the 383-4 is more temperamental than the 383-2? I understand the latter has been called a "dog" vs. the former, but what I have in mind is ease with restarting the engine when hot, etc.

Comments/thoughts?

View attachment 216983

View attachment 216984

View attachment 216985

View attachment 216986

View attachment 216987

Decoding courtesy of MyMopar.com:

D: Dodge Polara,Monaco
L: Low
23: 2 Door Hardtop

G: 383 290HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
9: 1969
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

248398: Sequence number

E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
A4: Silver Metallic Exterior Color
A4X9: Trim - Basic, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Black
L1X : Unknown Int. Door Frames
317: Build Date: March 17, 1969
167192: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
A48: Dress Up Package
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

L35: Cornering Lamps
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
A01: Light Package
Y14: Sold Car

25: Unknown
END: End of Sales Codes

I guess I had asked the day or two before you. He sent them to me but they weren't added to the auction for two days.
He appears honest enough but he's also a salesman. If you don't below me read the edited description.

The 383 -2 is a dog. The 383 - 4 is a great engine. Granted, my experience is limited with both but when comparing there is none. MPGs , idle, starting my 4 out performed my 2 every time.
Absolutely the the 383-4 will leave the 383-2 in the dust. No question about it.
I believe his primary concern was a smooth running, easy to tune engine.
That's what I was addressing. I may have misread his question

Absolutely the the 383-4 will leave the 383-2 in the dust. No question about it.

PLEASE read my entire reply

MPGs , idle, starting my 4 out performed my 2 every time.
PLEASE read my entire reply
I'll have to disagree.
But I don't think the difference tween the two is enough to even think about.
If my car came with a 383-4, I wouldn't even think about wishing it was a 383-2. Both great engines.

Nope, you read it correctly. Thank you for answering it. I am trying to collect experiences with both OEM setups -- 2- and 4-barrel. Both your and Dave's answers are helpful. More folks want to chime in, keep it coming!

I never had a 383 until my 70 convertibles , 3 of the four had them. For three years i had both engines at the same time. I hated the 383 - 2 but it was in the best car so I dealt with it. That was with 50000 miles and rebuilt. The 4 has 140000 on it and it again, out performs in all aspects not just pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back