For Sale 1970 300 convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

challenger

Reaction score
Contact seller
I am selling my 300 convertible. I am in SE North Carolina. I am putting it here for a couple of weeks in case anyone is interested because this forum has helped me greatly in the past with this car. It's a great car that is nearly original and here are some details:

Originally from CA

Miles are less than 60k however the speedometer has not bee working reliably in the last 5 years. I've driven the car less than 100 miles in the last 5 years so this will be an issue of trust and vehicle condition I suppose. I do have some history on this site that may help assure any interested party that the speedometer was working during the time I've been a member.

The car has a new top. It was installed too tight IMO and it got a small tear in it at one of the seems. May have been my fault because I never put the top up. When I did it was extremely tight and starting to rain so maybe I "forced" it??

Perhaps I'll save space here by posting the photos and asking any interested parties to contact me through here. Thanks for looking.

Price is $18K.

IMG_20190515_111526.jpg

IMG_20190515_111539.jpg

IMG_20190517_170006.jpg

IMG_20190517_165959.jpg

IMG_20190517_165946.jpg

IMG_20190517_165942.jpg

IMG_20190515_110106.jpg

IMG_20190515_110058.jpg

IMG_20190515_110045.jpg

IMG_20190517_170103.jpg

Looks like a nice car! Power Frt Disc brakes, A/C, 440/375, etc. W23 Class II 16-Slot Road Wheels, too! No tilt, no cruise, or associated rim blow wheel. Every now and then, a C-body AM/FM radio pops up, which would be a good upgrade, not having to do the rear speakers.

The seats do look like they've been re-done, from the lack of French Seams. But if the interior was White w/Black Accents, then if the seats were re-sewn, that takes care of that color change, but how was the rest of the interior color-changed? Dyed? In which color?

Just some thoughts (dreams??),
CBODY67

Looks like the seats and all the side panels were re-covered in a non-stock fashion....
Seems like a lot of money for a car with a totally non-stock interior, missing parts, and needing a new top
as well as needing a major cleaning (condenser pretty plugged),, the aftermarket trans cooler lines routed
in a manner that will chaff,, and that cooling fan is a mess.... I am also going to guess no longer has the
proper carb being as not all the emission lines are not hooked up....

It is a pretty looking car on the outside.. Very pretty....

The front seats are not original as they are higher than the original seats (which had headrests). There was also no pull-out armrest available for the back seat. So the interior is "custom". The interior colors available from the factory were black, white, light blue, tan, green. It's a TNT (375 hp 440) car none the less!

I don't know the paint codes. Was this originally black? Great wheels.
Yes it is originally black exterior. I'll post a couple of trunk pictures later that show the inside of the trunk lid.

Wow! You must have been very busy to only put 100 miles on that beauty in 5 years.

My wife and I drove in it and clocked maybe 300 miles for the first few years we've had it. My wife is a nervous Nelly and the car stalled at a light one time. The car flooded and the battery died. I got help pushing into a gas station and got it squared away in short order. This single experience set the tone for future drives. Every spring I'd break my *** getting the car ready for spring after it sat for 8 months and she would bug me to do so. We'd go for a ride and I could always sense her anxiety if the car didn't purr like a sewing machine. In other words I'm over it. I have a very nice 68 dart gt convertible that I'd like to get done and selling this will find that resto.
It would have been smart to drive it every week but I never did that so every spring was one thing or another.
Looks like the seats and all the side panels were re-covered in a non-stock fashion....
Seems like a lot of money for a car with a totally non-stock interior, missing parts, and needing a new top
as well as needing a major cleaning (condenser pretty plugged),, the aftermarket trans cooler lines routed
in a manner that will chaff,, and that cooling fan is a mess.... I am also going to guess no longer has the
proper carb being as not all the emission lines are not hooked up....

It is a pretty looking car on the outside.. Very pretty....
Tell you what Big Time, you are not required to buy the car. Take your baseless negative comments to Facebook. Maybe you have some peeps that can appreciate being enlightened by Galen Govier lite.

The front seats are not original as they are higher than the original seats (which had headrests). There was also no pull-out armrest available for the back seat. So the interior is "custom". The interior colors available from the factory were black, white, light blue, tan, green. It's a TNT (375 hp 440) car none the less!
I beg to differ. I found a build sheet under one of the front seats and I'll post a photo of it later. The build sheet also shows the option code for rear seat with armrest.
Wow in Hampstead huh? I’m out by Sneads Ferry/Holly Ridge. A 300 vert so close to me I had no idea about! I’d love to see it in person
Thanks. As I mentioned above the car wasn't driven but a few miles since we moved to Hampstead in 07.
The car has an edelbrock 650 carb.

To all the turd merchants that want to pee on the floorboards please save your comments. I've met you all before. You're the types that jump at the chance to serve on your car club BOD. You hold your own private little seminars at your monthly meeting talking to the new club members that have not yet learned to avoid you and these conversations consist mainly of the words me, I, mine etc.
BTW I do realize the car is not perfect. HELLO! I also know that it is an amazing original car with absolutely zero rot. I'll post a few underside photos when I get back to my laptop. If I have it priced too high I'll soon realized it. I value the vast majority of the opinions I get here. So the price may or may not change. Locally this type of car will bring this price and more. If I list it locally it will be higher at the start. I'm not looking to rip off anyone. If someone want a concourse car this ain't it BUT it could be for a ton less money than any other candidate that I've seen. In its current state it is a super nice low miles ride with a big upside IMO.
Lastly, if it doesn't sell so what? I've got a ton of valuable stuff that I rarely use but enjoy owning. Having it continue to hang in the garage won't ruffle my feathers.

paint looks too good to be factory. about fifteen years ago i had my cadillac shot with ppg's concept black. single stage. still looks awesome. like this car does!

paint looks too good to be factory. about fifteen years ago i had my cadillac shot with ppg's concept black. single stage. still looks awesome. like this car does!
I think I mentioned that the car was repainted by the original owner. If I failed to mention this then I am doing so now. The color is a perfect match single stage of some sort done a long long time ago.
As for the interior changes I can't speculate on them at all. This is how I got the car in 2001. I do have a small amount of documentation that shows the car was original CA car FWIW.
And, as I said in an earlier post, some more photos. Thanks for watching :).

IMG_20190525_093903.jpg

IMG_20190525_094333.jpg

IMG_20190525_094434.jpg

IMG_20190525_094530.jpg

IMG_20190525_094542.jpg

IMG_20190525_094600.jpg

IMG_20190525_094613.jpg

IMG_20190525_094717.jpg

Good Luck with the sale, that's a very nice car and thank you for posting on here FIRST. I wish I could buy them all.....

The headlight doors and grille align very nicely - you don't always see that.

If the rest of the underside looks like those under-quarters then that is worth a lot, that's hard to find.

Whoever did the tailpipes also knew how to properly do 'the Mopar hook'. Most shops can't get 'em right even if you describe it and give them a picture to follow.

Yes, there may be some underhood 'disconnects' due to the modern carb, but that's not the end of the world. I see the choke is missing - anyone that has tried simply putting an Eddy carb on a cast-iron manifold knows that 1970 raised-dome choke (actually, most factory chokes) will interfere with the features on the passenger-side of the carb.

As for the interior - it may not be correct, but I had to look at the doorpanels a bit, the person that did them put some stitching/details in them that makes them look less 'trim-shop'. I would certainly rather have an incorrect interior in good shape than worn-out factory-correct - and the black/red is a fabulous color combo.

So what is it?
a 300 'vert, in black, that appears to have VG body and paint (based on the hood shine), and is an original TNT car. It begs for the same TLC we'd expect on any unrestored sub-100k mile car.

The price isn't terribly unreasonable for what it is.

If the rest of the underside looks like those under-quarters then that is worth a lot, that's hard to find.

Whoever did the tailpipes also knew how to properly do 'the Mopar hook'. Most shops can't get 'em right even if you describe it and give them a picture to follow.

Yes, there may be some underhood 'disconnects' due to the modern carb, but that's not the end of the world. I see the choke is missing - anyone that has tried simply putting an Eddy carb on a cast-iron manifold knows that 1970 raised-dome choke (actually, most factory chokes) will interfere with the features on the passenger-side of the carb.

As for the interior - it may not be correct, but I had to look at the doorpanels a bit, the person that did them put some stitching/details in them that makes them look less 'trim-shop'. I would certainly rather have an incorrect interior in good shape than worn-out factory-correct - and the black/red is a fabulous color combo.

So what is it?
a 300 'vert, in black, that appears to have VG body and paint (based on the hood shine), and is an original TNT car. It begs for the same TLC we'd expect on any unrestored sub-100k mile car.

I would agree with all you said although in my case, my preference would be for an original interior that was worn in order to have the correct bucket seats with headrests and also because the correct seat covers are available from Legendary:

You searched for 1970 chrysler 300 seat covers | Legendary Auto Interiors

Nice car, I really like the color combination and to me, the interior looks pretty good.

IMHO, price is fair for a rust free convertible. We see cars here all the time for less money, but to get one looking good will cost a lot more than the asking price of this one.

You know... When a member of this board is selling a car, we should have a little respect for them. Nothing is perfect... Don't like the car? Don't buy it. Want the car but don't like the price? Make an offer. Can't agree on a deal? Move on to the next one. It's really that simple.

Craigslist and eBay stuff is fair game, but geez... a little consideration and courtesy is in order with one of our own.

Nice car, I really like the color combination and to me, the interior looks pretty good.

IMHO, price is fair for a rust free convertible. We see cars here all the time for less money, but to get one looking good will cost a lot more than the asking price of this one.

You know... When a member of this board is selling a car, we should have a little respect for them. Nothing is perfect... Don't like the car? Don't buy it. Want the car but don't like the price? Make an offer. Can't agree on a deal? Move on to the next one. It's really that simple.

Craigslist and eBay stuff is fair game, but geez... a little consideration and courtesy is in order with one of our own.

That's the way it's always been here but with the new blood nobody cares .

So what is it?

Thanks for that. It's pretty much how I thought everyone here would treat my post. Still I guess some get off by searching for places to posts their negative thoughts. Personally I don't get it. Then again I don't "get" the whole Facebook attraction/mentality either. As my mother used to say OVER AND OVER, "if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything".
I'd much rather see the car go to someone that will appreciate it as a rare Mopar than just a "classic" convertible. I'm not looking for special treatment. I posted it because I know this is by far the most knowledgeable forum on C bodies. Most here are really in love with these big old Chrysler and for good reason. They really are beautiful AND much more interesting than their GM counter parts. Don't get me wrong. A 59 Cadillac is one of the most breathtaking vehicles ever made IMO but there's something special about Mopars. Maybe I like rooting for the underdog?
I'm happy to take price correction advice and I knew I'd be informed respectfully if the price was wacky. Maybe I'm a little high but the car is amazingly rust free. I once purchased a 70 T/A challenger (hence my handle here) and it looked real good. Got it home and ended up replacing 75% of the floors and both rear frame rails PLUS much more. It was a real "learning experience". 8 months after I bought the car it got 4th place at the nationals in Ohio. I personally did 90% of the work myself thanks to a bay loaned to me in a body shop that also loved old Mopars. That car was damn near perfect when I finished it. The effort finished me in EVER touching a car with heavy rust/rot.
Personally there is no way I'd even think about restoring this 300. I've done a fair amount of tidying up on it but nothing I'd consider approaching restoration work. It's just such a great original car and I'm pretty sure I can call it that even with the repaint as it was done so long ago. I'm thinking late 70's early 80's.
Anyway thanks for looking. This really is a great forum with many folks having a similar sense of humor as I do. God bless

Once again late to an interesting thread. I can't add anything to the above comments and criticisms other than this. Posting to a discussion board is different than simply putting up an ad on Craigslist or Kijiji. People are prone to discuss the relative merits both positive and negative. I've been around this board long enough to know that members here are blunt to a fault and aren't particularly interested in maintaining or enhancing anyone's self esteem. That said you seem to fit right in and it was nice to see you swinging back assertively. BTW your car is a beautiful solid example well worth the asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back