1970 Sport Fury GT Resto vid part 1

There are 3 EP's on this car, but a lot of other interesting stuff on his channel.He might be in New York...not sure

Yes he is down under in Melbourne, Australia.
I have asked if its for sale with a definate NO reply. Believe me I was really disappointed with that NO answer!!
I won't say where or who it is. If the owner wants to let it be known will leave it up to him.

I bought a car once that I knew had quarter panel work done on it but I didn't know until some miles later that some of the lower quarter patch panels were also glued on instead of welded in place with some of the modern bonding agents as used in assembly of the various cab parts on the latest aluminum bodied Ford pickups these days. The seams of those glued in patch panels started giving way over time and I ended up having my body/paint guy do the job right and welded them together. There is no excuse for not welding these older panels in place when the vehicle was never engineered properly for use of glue bonding agents such as in the Ford.

I bought a car once that I knew had quarter panel work done on it but I didn't know until some miles later that some of the lower quarter patch panels were also glued on instead of welded in place with some of the modern bonding agents as used in assembly of the various cab parts on the latest aluminum bodied Ford pickups these days. The seams of those glued in patch panels started giving way over time and I ended up having my body/paint guy do the job right and welded them together. There is no excuse for not welding these older panels in place when the vehicle was never engineered properly for use of glue bonding agents such as in the Ford.

I'm pretty confident this guy knows what he's doing, looking at his age, his workshop and the quality of the work he's completing mate.

It's not really a question of being engineered for it, because those modern body glues are as strong as a weld when they are correctly used, in the right places. They're sometimes even more strong than a weld, because they cover a more larger surface and protect from rust (in the case of spot welds for example).

I have used the 3M 08115 body panel glue for some parts of my '70 Sport Fury restoration. Of course, you cannot use it for structural panels or pillars, but that's just common sense.

It's not really a question of being engineered for it, because those modern body glues are as strong as a weld when they are correctly used, in the right places. They're sometimes even more strong than a weld, because they cover a more larger surface and protect from rust (in the case of spot welds for example).

I have used the 3M 08115 body panel glue for some parts of my '70 Sport Fury restoration. Of course, you cannot use it for structural panels or pillars, but that's just common sense.

With all due respect, using modern body glues in the right places is a part of an engineering process. The use of such glue in the video referenced from the guy in Australia was used where patch panels were installed and in some of those areas I observed, I am not convinced they will hold up over the long term due to constant changing stresses.

See video above starting at 3:12 regarding Polestar. This demonstrates how the glues are handled in the correct places as part of an overall engineering process....................it appeared to me that only overlapping panels were relied upon where the adhesive was used. Being a unibody, the stresses over the wheel wells and other parts of the sheet metal that were glued together are fed into the unibody and over time the changing stresses as the car rolls down the street and encounters various stresses from constant flexing going through turns without a significant solid backing to adhere to will in time separate the glued bonds is what I observed on my car at least.

In cars like the Polestar, computer aided design evaluates such stresses entering the body under a very wide breadth of maneuvers to ensure the integrity of the body over a long period of use. The glued bonds in the Polestar are backed by a significant solid frame.

Last edited:
It's coming along quite nicely (youtube link not working).

Fury.PNG

Back