For Sale 1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440-4 - $3500 (Barnesville)

Status
Not open for further replies.

67newport

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
not mine
1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440-4
01010_274pNhIkFBa_600x450.jpg

00m0m_h7RHSR5urGB_600x450.jpg

01010_iYsEfyiMP8j_600x450.jpg

00x0x_d9jERXoiCDh_600x450.jpg

00D0D_97NuTITyfd4_600x450.jpg

00C0C_l7ebqTEgGdL_600x450.jpg

01616_Ynv5qVk8aQ_600x450.jpg

00V0V_hgNXO3xcXQD_600x450.jpg

00n0n_77FsEhSruck_600x450.jpg

00f0f_jeLz0mqpbIX_600x450.jpg

00x0x_jvUfmdmphtf_600x450.jpg

1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440-4bbl 727 4-door, 77, 000 miles, all power options seats, windows, locks, antenna work as they should, Interior very good condition, Engine and Trans have no issues, car recently sat since Thanksgiving I went out on 3-17, pumped the gas once and the car started right up. Car was regularly driven locally all last summer with no issues. New water pump, belts, thermostat, fan clutch, new brake pads and steel lines. Body is in good to very good condition, some areas need attention but nothing serious, please see pics, more pics available if interested, floors, trunk, rear window ledge all in very good condition with no rust. Car is a good daily driver, or could be used as a donor for muscle car, very easy resto if you wanted to go that route. $3500 Will consider partial trades on 2nd amendments, running mopars, old motorcycles and/or parts. Running gears alone are worth the asking price.

I believe that car has been listed before. But this time, given write up and more photos, I am convinced it really is 77K miles. Otherwise those seats would not have held up that long looking so nice, as they deteriorated pretty quickly after about 100K miles. Given how he describes it has been run quite a bit lately and the miles, plus looking at the trunk floor, it appears to be a diamond in the rough. If I needed one and was close by, I would definitely consider it. Best I can tell is the lower rear quarters might need some work though. Is Michel (Ayilar) watching?

Sounds like a better car than the one he was considering getting and this one isn't dark green either.

IMHO, this seems like a very reasonable price. It has more going for it than against it.

not mine
1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440-4
View attachment 271182
View attachment 271183
View attachment 271184
View attachment 271185
View attachment 271186
View attachment 271187
View attachment 271188
View attachment 271189
View attachment 271190
View attachment 271191
View attachment 271192
1971 Chrysler New Yorker 440-4bbl 727 4-door, 77, 000 miles, all power options seats, windows, locks, antenna work as they should, Interior very good condition, Engine and Trans have no issues, car recently sat since Thanksgiving I went out on 3-17, pumped the gas once and the car started right up. Car was regularly driven locally all last summer with no issues. New water pump, belts, thermostat, fan clutch, new brake pads and steel lines. Body is in good to very good condition, some areas need attention but nothing serious, please see pics, more pics available if interested, floors, trunk, rear window ledge all in very good condition with no rust. Car is a good daily driver, or could be used as a donor for muscle car, very easy resto if you wanted to go that route. $3500 Will consider partial trades on 2nd amendments, running mopars, old motorcycles and/or parts. Running gears alone are worth the asking price.

Autotemp II.... I'm out.

Autotemp II.... I'm out.

Same here. I agree with Steve though, this looks good overall. This car might make sense for someone who doesn’t like or need A/C.

PS: the car has indeed been seen and discussed before, including questions re: possible rust in the door jambs and rear quarters. On the plus side, no vinyl roof to hide issues there.

Unusual for a sedan to have ATC II.

The rust seems to be manageable.

Someone else seems to be looking for $8k for a Newport 4-dr hardtop of the same year and same color. Unlike the more reasonably priced car in Ohio, this one is located in Nebraska. Its AC allegedly works, but it clearly needs a new vinyl top and the interior is nowhere close to as nice. I'd also make sure the recent floods in that poor state have not hurt it.

Someone else seems to be looking for $8k for a Newport 4-dr hardtop of the same year and same color. Unlike the more reasonably priced car in Ohio, this one is located in Nebraska. Its AC allegedly works, but it clearly needs a new vinyl top and the interior is nowhere close to as nice. I'd also make sure the recent floods in that poor state have not hurt it.

It looks like a car around the 100K miles point - where everything starts to go wrong. He is dreaming regarding price - very out of touch.

The exact price I ended up getting my NYer for. Nicely optioned. Get a new carpet, give it a good vacuum, then wash, and wax the car. It’ll be a great grocery car.

Black carpet in there would brighten the interior experience!

I respectfully disagree. IMHO a new, correct blue carpet is what belongs in this car. A protector mat in the right color (dark blue, perhaps) could then prevent the carpet itself from getting dirty, and the interior would once again look superb.

The rust seems to be manageable.

Nicely optioned. Get a new carpet, give it a good vacuum, then wash, and wax the car.

Agreed on the options, but unfortunately, more work is needed.

As some of you know, I've been looking seriously at getting a fusie Chrysler to complete my stable. My preferred body style for these Chryslers is a 4-door hardtop, but at the right price a sedan or coupe might tip me over.

This sedan, in GB2 and with a blue interior in seemingly good shape (save the carpet, the missing driver's door handle, and an imperfect driver's armrest -- all fixable), somehow pushed my buttons. I contacted the seller, and after an email exchange and a long phone discussion, he shared with me lots of photos and a summary of the car's shape. He was genuinely forthcoming with the good and bad of the car -- sharing what he knew was right and wrong, and indicating when he did not know (no sugarcoating).

As such, I therefore have zero reason to doubt the seller's claims that the trunk and floors are solid, that the car is watertight (a big deal for me, as my goal is to get a fusie for rainy-day outings), and that it is mechanically sound and most everything works as it should -- including all the power toys (seats, windows, even the antenna).

The seller did indicate that the A/C does not work (the compressor is not frozen) and the heater is unknown ("maybe it works, maybe not"). The gas gauge does not work, and if the tank is filled full it leaks. One would also need to look for a replacement passenger fender (as can be seen in the February ad when one looks carefully, there is a hole in the metal at the top of the wheel opening, and the fender bottom is rusting badly -- the driver's side is much better, although there are 2-3 bubbles at the bottom of the front fender as well). Needing fixing, too, are fully-peeled paint and developing rust on one roof spot (about 6"x4") and a small patch of developing rust on the Dutchman panel (nickel to quarter-size).

All of these drawbacks, I could have dealt with given the positive aspects listed above.

What made me decide against getting the car, though, is the seller's statement that "the rearmost mounts of the front k-member, under the doors, looks like the soft mounts are gone and previous owner bolted solid." That, I am not willing to deal with. Someone else may be, in which case I encourage them to reach out to the seller. The fact that he shared this info, shows me that he is a good guy and a honest fellow.

I hope that this car is saved -- but it won't be by me. My search continues.

Last edited:
Nice car if left as-is as a DD.
Investing heavily into a 4 dr. sdn. is a fool's journey.

Depends on what one wants. As an investment, of course. As a beautiful object to enjoy, well, that’s another matter altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back