NOT MINE 1971 Chrysler Newport 2 Door Hardtop New Hudson, MI $18.5k

PH27L7

Reaction score
Cars On Line.com | Classic Cars For Sale

1971 Chrysler Newport 2 Door Hardtop. Beautiful, award winner '71 Newport, only 27k miles. Comes with sunroof, air conditioning, power steering, power breaks, power windows, and handsome black vinyl interior. The car is in original condition except for the addition of a stainless-steel exhaust system. All identifying numbers match. So much more to this car than can be put in the ad. The car has been carefully stored and never driven in salt. Call 248-437-8097

71 chry 1.jpg
71 chry 2.jpg
71 chry 3.jpg
71 chry 4.jpg

Last edited:
gorgeous car, My only thought, sunroof on a Newport, your going to pay the money. get a new yorker

Nice ride! TX9? Exterior almost looks dark green in some shots. They say black interior.

Cars On Line.com | Classic Cars For Sale

1971 Chrysler Newport 2 Door Hardtop. Beautiful, award winner '71 Newport, only 27k miles. Comes with sunroof, air conditioning, power steering, power breaks, power windows, and handsome black vinyl interior. The car is in original condition except for the addition of a stainless-steel exhaust system. All identifying numbers match. So much more to this car than can be put in the ad. The car has been carefully stored and never driven in salt. Call 248-437-8097

View attachment 523555View attachment 523556View attachment 523557View attachment 523558

Given the miles/condition of the car plus plenty of options including the rare sunroof and great color, that car is a steal at that price. If I didn't already have 4 of these sunroof cars, one already being a 1971 Turquoise Newport coupe, I would be on the phone by now...........................

I'm tempted too! Lack of additional storage would be a problem though. Wonder if a straight swap for a Gran Coupe might work? LOL ...

It would be difficult to restore anything similar to this condition for the asking price on this Newport.
Gotta say that ad & the pics stink.

I was interested but the bench seat and only a 2bbl stopped me from buying it.....
But very nice car....
Congratzs to the new owner.......:thumbsup:

The full story behind that car was interesting. Its original color was FQ5 Coral Turquoise Metallic. The car was repainted at one point due to "splotches" that showed up in the paint for some reason and was redone in basecoat/clearcoat to a very high professional level. The car initially was somewhat of a lemon since its 383-2 bbl engine developed a rod knock at just over 24K miles and had to be rebuilt and there was a reverse band problem in the transmission issue as well. Nonetheless, the original owner had everything fixed and didn't drive it much and preferred to just make it more of a time capsule. The overall condition was stunning but some of the touch ups done by the original owner to make the trunk and engine compartment look a little more finished did take away some of the originality of the factory line appearance. Most of those touch ups could have been reversed with some patience but more than likely the new owner won't bother since it still wins show award anyway. If someone got the car near the asking price, I would say it was a good deal.

Also, this is not a factory sunroof car but one sent to American Sunroof Corporation by the dealer to have a moon roof put in after it was delivered to the dealer. I am not seeing that additional cost on the window label though but there must have been some additional cost to have that installed.

1649706657017.jpeg

1649708630674.jpeg

You can enlarge the above underhood photo to read the body code plate pretty clearly since the image is relatively good resolution. The owner, William, told me he got his price of $18,500. William is 76 now (super nice guy) and was just looking for a good home for it going forward and he seems to have found one. Very glad for him and the new owner.

Last edited:
Would this be a car for the sunroofregister or................?

It was ordered with Trailer Towing Pkg and 3.23 Sure grip. Wonder if that had anything to do with it's early engine and transmission problems? Maybe hauling around a 30 foot travel trailer. I really like this one though. Congrats to the new owner.

It was ordered with Trailer Towing Pkg and 3.23 Sure grip. Wonder if that had anything to do with it's early engine and transmission problems? Maybe hauling around a 30 foot travel trailer. I really like this one though. Congrats to the new owner.

In my half hour conversation with William about the car, he didn't mention that he had ever used it to tow a trailer and when I asked him why he thought the engine failed, he only attributed the issue to the engine and/or car being built on a Monday or a Friday.

Gotta love the $25 destination charge. Current cars are typically 50 times or more that figure, way past inflation rates.
1649705167598-jpeg.jpg

I can’t believe they I missed this thread. I was traveling and so it is.

Completely agree with @sixpkrt and @saforwardlook — this was well bought at the asking price.

one favor — @saforwardlook could you pls post the fender tag of CE23L1C143595 ? The VON on the fender tag would tell the tale about the sunroof. (Edit: a day later, I have just learned that some sunroof cars did not have the G VON even though they have a factory ASC sunroof; not the case of this car, whose moonroof is aftermarket as per the original owner).

Last edited:
i think the moonroof would have been added probably after at least 1976 or so, glass sunroofs were 1st available as an option for 1973 in Lincoln Mark IVs and it wasnt until 1975 you could order 1 in a Cadillac .
dont see reason to include it in a sunroof registry, a decent body shop could have installed it, you didnt have to send it to ASC.
i knew a 76 New Yorker that had had a moonroof installed in the 1980s- it looked abit odd because the glass was flat surrounded by the roof's convex curvature. water would pool on the glass as a result ( it never leaked while i knew the car)
it was done by an autoglass & upholstery chain in Vancouver BC who i believe was a licensed dealer by ASC.

i owned a 74 River stage 1 GS that a moonroof was installed in the 80s as well. It had a a handbook from ASC identical to the ones in all 3 of my sunroof Salons ( just back from paint and rest of trim still to go on )

74 paint 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back