NOT MINE 1971 Chrysler Newport 4dr Hardtop - Make Offer - Liberal, Kansas

Apparently the ad poster is young, into racing honda's or something, smokes weed, drinks alcohol, throws gang signs, dj's or raps. I couldn't find any other pictures of the car on his fakebook.
And won't call, text or message.
I swear there was another thread on here about this car.

@polara66hardtop
Do you happen to know the name of the yard? I'm probably going to be down that way on Sunday and I wouldn't expect them to be open unless I call and set up a viewing time. Sounds fun.

south of dodge city on 283 thru minneola, southwest on Hwy 54 to meade, then stay on Hwy 54 to Liberal. you can't miss the junk yard east side of town.

Ah, I see. Like the seats I just got in the 71 custom.
Is this the correct one you speak of?

View attachment 455997

View attachment 455998

View attachment 455999

I believe this car in the listing is a Custom with the seats you are showing in your photo. High back seats were not available in a regular Newport 4 door.

I believe if this car really is as nice as suggested given what we can see, and a Custom, then its price should be close to $10K or at least $8000.

south of dodge city on 283 thru minneola, southwest on Hwy 54 to meade, then stay on Hwy 54 to Liberal. you can't miss the junk yard east side of town.

I found the phone number and will call them today. Maybe I can get some good pictures and some parts while I'm down there. thanks for pointing that out!

I believe this car in the listing is a Custom with the seats you are showing in your photo. High back seats were not available in a regular Newport 4 door.

I believe if this car really is as nice as suggested given what we can see, and a Custom, then its price should be close to $10K or at least $8000.

Finally a price ! Thanks!

Only the custom could get the high back seats? Interesting. I"m sure they would look really good in a two door version.

I think Steve may be a little low. The Condition of the car will determine price which we can't get a handle on in these photos. Trunk pan, underside of doors, firewall, rear window, if rustless it could pull more with the right audience.

After these pictures, maybe someone can give me a value?

20210502_152951_HDR.jpg

20210502_153033_HDR.jpg

20210502_153059_HDR.jpg

20210502_153415.jpg

20210502_153437.jpg

20210502_154118.jpg

20210502_154121.jpg

20210502_154123.jpg

I would say zero rust. But there is some surface rust on the stub frame.
I have been assured of zero rust on the entire car.
He has said he does believe that it is sold to a local.
Garaged it's entire life.

20210502_154205.jpg

20210502_153624.jpg

20210502_154444.jpg

20210502_154234.jpg

20210502_154455.jpg

20210502_161250.jpg

20210502_155719.jpg

20210502_155729.jpg

20210502_161046_HDR.jpg

20210502_165034.jpg

1 full matching sheet
1 partial matching sheet
matching motor
matching trans
original paint
titled
3rd owner now
2nd owner has had since 70's
first bought it in 1961....seriously though. Kansas it's entire life. garaged it's entire life.

Liberal, KS is a nice little town. Drive one mile South and you are in Oklahoma. One of several ways to get from OKC to DEN.

The car? $4K, perhaps? Far less rust in that part of the state than say, KC or Topeka has. Nice car, IMO, judging from the pics.

I'd have to petition a name change if I was there. Something a little more, conservative.

Actually, Liberal Kansas has a very patriotic name based upon the B-24 LIBERATOR.
I know it's wikipedia, but, Liberal Army Air Field - Wikipedia

We musn't let the liberal left change the meaning of many words that we have used as a nation for a long time.
Liberal doesn't have to be a bad word. (although I know it is right now if you pay any type of taxes or are a responsible American in anyway)

Liberal has a nice little air museum. A must-see! Lots of cool exhibits. A lot of history there, too.

A/C compressor is froze up and squeals when heat or Ac is turned on.
Brakes need bled as it appears the master cylinder is leaking between the mc and the pb. But, the seal is swollen like 2" bigger so it might just be leaking out of the top of the mc.

unfortunately they closed the drag strip there somewhere in the mid 90's.
My friend who lives close to there says the concrete was 16-18" thick. They pulled all the concrete up for some reason. He said it was a very nice strip.

The car looks clean and nice overall with no apparent rust issues. It probably is a 55K mile car. I do wonder why the a/c compressor is a problem? The underhood doesn't suggest immaculate care but if the owner says it runs well with no issues, I think one thing I would ask is how the coolant looks. If it hasn't been changed in a long time, there could be problems with needing replacement of the head gaskets and freeze plugs. I would ask for a photo of the coolant in the radiator with the cap removed (at least the caps looks recent). I might also ask in what intervals the oil was changed just in case no one really cared enough to do it often enough and/or get a photo of the filter on the engine at present to get some idea of the intervals. Seeing flex hoses doesn't make me improve my doubts regarding the quality of maintenance.

If all checks out though, anything in the $10 - 12K range seems very reasonable to me.

What is the current local interested party offering for it? If you like the car, you could always try to outbid him and see where you end up. The listing says he is looking for best offer after all.................

Still haggling and figuring out what his current offer is.
I'll ask about the coolant and oil change interval.
I think the car was his grandpa's and he has passed away so kinda hard to ask what the maintenance schedule was. But I'll try anyway.

Thank you for posting the tag of CL43L1C187056 -- very useful, because it shows that the top was originally gold (V1Y), not black (if it had been then the tag code would have been V1X). While all the photos you show suggest that there is no rust (other than some surface rust), the fact that the top has been changed is a puzzle. I do not see evidence of rust bubbling underneath, and it does not look recent, so it may just be that one of the owners decided they wanted black and not gold.

Last edited:
Back