1971 Fury GT, Gold, Promo Car

Clues: Roger Mauro Chrysler Plymouth
PXL_20210220_211059512 RM.jpg

Found this dealer emblem with the parts that came with the car. Colorado origin looks true.
The dealer was in business in 1971. It went out of business Summer 1980. The car went off the road in 1978 or earlier. Mounting holes match holes in trunk lid. If this dealer has any sales records stashed somewhere, I'd sure like to know about it. Could be the new car dealer.
1971 Colorado state patrol sold by Mauro
1971 colorado state patrol 2 door e85 fury 1
1972 Colorado Fury pursuit sold by Mauro
Yes yours apparently came From Roger Mauro Chrysler Plymouth on 7200 W. Colfax Ave. Lakewood. CO. That dealer was relatively new at the time taking over the Chrysler Plymouth Dealer duties that went away from the previous dealer on the same street that my Fury is from.
New member, Colorado Fury Pursuit project
mauro-jpg.jpg

COLORADO Dealers
Clues on New Mexico farmer being last owner when car was running
Accelerator pedal
PXL_20210220_214932537 Pedal dirt.jpg

Red soil on bottom of body. Parts of American southwest are known for red soil.
PXL_20210219_213131948 soil.jpg

PXL_20210220_222303940 Soil.jpg

Floor Pans: cleared out passenger compartment. Thought I'd take some pics.
Left front
PXL_20210220_214922125 LF.jpg

Right Front
PXL_20210214_221957376 71 rsf floor pan.jpg

Left Rear
PXL_20210220_221421092 LR.jpg

Right Rear: New Mexico farms require irrigation and farmers have to deal with rocky terrain. I think the farmer bottomed out on a rock.
PXL_20210220_215449799  RR.jpg

Right rear from below
PXL_20210220_222223566 RS.jpg

Left rear for comparison
PXL_20210220_222217027 LS.jpg

Rear Subframe looks OK. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

You're off to a great start towards getting this beast back on the road, thanks for taking the time to share pictures and type up all this info.
With the glass out of the original door, is there room to get at the backside of the damage? I'd imagine a lot of those battle wounds could be massaged out with the correct tools.
And I'm one of the weirdos that would get a really small zip lock baggie and save a sample of that red clay to help illustrate the GT's history.
Keep up the great work, I'm really enjoying following along!

You're off to a great start towards getting this beast back on the road, thanks for taking the time to share pictures and type up all this info.
With the glass out of the original door, is there room to get at the backside of the damage? I'd imagine a lot of those battle wounds could be massaged out with the correct tools.
And I'm one of the weirdos that would get a really small zip lock baggie and save a sample of that red clay to help illustrate the GT's history.
Keep up the great work, I'm really enjoying following along!
Hi Blimp,
You're welcome. And thanks for the compliment.
Door: I checked with Gary (an excellent body man). He said frame in the door is damaged. Impossible to fix. Space is at a premium at my place. I recycled the door at county metal recycling.
If the 70 door does not work for some reason, I'll have to get another 1971 door shell. Ugh!
Ben

SMS is the only source for door panels. Expect to wait more than a year and spend more than $2,000.
I notice that they have carpet too. Can't u$e this info right now, but I can dream...

View attachment 440624
Found this dealer emblem with the parts that came with the car. Colorado origin looks true.
The dealer was in business in 1971. It went out of business Summer 1980. The car went off the road in 1978 or earlier. Mounting holes match holes in trunk lid. If this dealer has any sales records stashed somewhere, I'd sure like to know about it. Could be the new car dealer.
1971 Colorado state patrol sold by Mauro
1971 colorado state patrol 2 door e85 fury 1
1972 Colorado Fury pursuit sold by Mauro
Yes yours apparently came From Roger Mauro Chrysler Plymouth on 7200 W. Colfax Ave. Lakewood. CO. That dealer was relatively new at the time taking over the Chrysler Plymouth Dealer duties that went away from the previous dealer on the same street that my Fury is from.
New member, Colorado Fury Pursuit project
View attachment 440630

COLORADO Dealers
Clues on New Mexico farmer being last owner when car was running
Accelerator pedal
View attachment 440626
Red soil on bottom of body. Parts of American southwest are known for red soil.
View attachment 440628
View attachment 440629
Cool coincidence! They sold my parents their '67 Newport in July 1970. I don't think there was any significant rust on that car when my brother and I inherited and sold it nearly 40 years later.

Trivia: Roger Mauro became Lakewood Chrysler-Plymouth in 1980. The K-cars came out at the same time, and the dealer spelled "LAKEWOOD" in all caps with Chrysler's promotional emblem for the "K."
upload_2021-2-22_11-24-34.png
upload_2021-2-22_11-24-34.jpeg

Cool coincidence! They sold my parents their '67 Newport in July 1970. I don't think there was any significant rust on that car when my brother and I inherited and sold it nearly 40 years later.

Trivia: Roger Mauro became Lakewood Chrysler-Plymouth in 1980. The K-cars came out at the same time, and the dealer spelled "LAKEWOOD" in all caps with Chrysler's promotional emblem for the "K."
View attachment 440858View attachment 440857
Sorry you couldn't keep the 1967 Newport. I bet it had a lot of sentimental value.

My mother in law loved K-cars and drove them exclusively until she passed away in the late 1990s.

Do you know anything about Lakewood CP. Wonder if they retained any of Roger Mauro's records.

Rear frame rails: straight
Left side
PXL_20210220_222347081 LF.jpg

over axle
PXL_20210220_225445003 LOA.jpg

rear
PXL_20210220_225512396 LR.jpg

Right side also excellent
front
PXL_20210220_222355223 RF.jpg

over axle
PXL_20210220_225354325 ROA.jpg

rear. The rock that hit the right rear floor pan and under seat area hit the gas tank, but missed the frame rail. Not having to take the car to a frame shop is a piece of good luck.
PXL_20210220_225418285 RR.jpg

I took the passenger front seat and the rear seat out. Right side upward dents under both, but not as big as under the floor pan. You can see one place where the floor pan split from impact plus rust.
PXL_20210221_184526237 RF seat pan.jpg

After rear seat removed.
PXL_20210221_193146995 Rear seat pan.jpg

Rear seats are not original and need replace. No documentation under the front seats. Glove was empty except for dirt and a wasp nest. Only hope for a broadcast sheet is under the dash.
PXL_20210221_210409894 glove.jpg

Sorry you couldn't keep the 1967 Newport. I bet it had a lot of sentimental value.

My mother in law loved K-cars and drove them exclusively until she passed away in the late 1990s.

Do you know anything about Lakewood CP. Wonder if they retained any of Roger Mauro's records.
I don't know if it was a casualty of the post-bankruptcy reorganization, but Lakewood CP isn't around anymore. "Googling" the name conjures up Auto Nation Chrysler-Jeep West as the first "hit." It's a few miles away from the old dealership, which was razed.

Yes, the '67 Newport had sentimental value. The 2-dr. hardtop in Arctic Blue is handsome. Its predecessor was a yellow '62 Newport two-door, in which I was brought home after birth.

Also thread provides proof of car being in New Mexico
@GT dave posted: when that picture was taken in 1998, the car was located in Rio Rancho, NM

1990s pic. Looks like a road wheel up front. Important clue: Fender Codes only say 15" tires.
View attachment 441682

I am not so sure that is a road wheel up front - it looks more like the standard wheel on the 1971 Sport Fury GTs:

Plymouth-Sport-Fury-GT-green.jpg

But in that photo, the "cover" might be missing or it may be a road wheel with the standard GT center cap instead of the regular road wheel center cap and maybe the decorative wheel cover is missing - hard to tell from the photo of the car in New Mexico......................

Also, I thought the wheels themselves were special as well on the 71 GTs in order to mount the special/unique "wheel covers". That gold car probably had a call out on the body code plate for 15" wheels only because those cars had a special wheel standard since most such body code plates do not call out the wheel sizes.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of these might be able to clarify.

Last edited:
The 1990's photo above shows the standard '71 GT wheel without its trim ring/wheel cover. This wheel was different than any other and it was available on other '71 Fury models. I have seen photos of two '71 Sport Fury 4-door hardtops with these wheels.

That wheel may not be original to the car. The green Canadian Promo '71 GT had the wide trim rings/wheel covers over the standard painted '70 GT & S/23 road wheel and the center caps are not black, they are what I believe to be a polished aluminum center cap just like what is depicted in a pre-production wheel photo that as I recall was done in '69. Since both promo '71 GT's came off the assembly line the same day it would be odd, but not out of the question that 2 different style wheels were used. Interesting that the '71 GT trim rings/wheel covers fit the standard road wheel so why did Chrysler make a specific wheel?

The Gold '71 Promo does not have W23 on the fender tag for the optional chrome road wheels so it likely was built with the standard '71 GT wheels.

(...) The Gold '71 Promo does not have W23 on the fender tag for the optional chrome road wheels so it likely was built with the standard '71 GT wheels.
Do you mean build sheet? Like @69CoronetRT back in 2016, I have never seen a W code on a 1971 tag.

Do you mean build sheet? Like @69CoronetRT back in 2016, I have
Since both promo '71 GT's came off the assembly line the same day it would be odd, but not out of the question that 2 different style wheels were used.

The Gold '71 Promo does not have W23 on the fender tag for the optional chrome road wheels so it likely was built with the standard '71 GT wheels.

there is no way to know when either of the cars were built let alone speculate they were built the same day. VINs have nothing to do with production. The cars could have been built minutes, hours, days or weeks apart.

There is no way to know what wheels came on the car without the broadcast sheet.

The dealer was in business in 1971. It went out of business Summer 1980.

In the 1986 Dealer Directory the dealership is listed as
63829 Lakewood Chrysler-Plymouth, Inc., 7200 W. Colfax, Lakewood, CO 80215, orig. date 09-64; principal William W. Dwyer.

Some corporate history:

17 August 1966 incorporated as Lakewood Chrysler Plymouth, Inc.
3 November 1966 trade name Roger Mauro Chrysler Plymouth Co.
5 November 1970 trade name Roger Mauro Chryslerville, USA, Co.
7 January 1998 trade name Medved Chrysler Plymouth Jeep, Inc.
14 January 1998 withdrawal of the trade names Roger Mauro Chryslerville, USA, Co., and Roger Mauro Chrysler Plymouth Co.

John Medved of Medved Autoplex acquired Lakewood Chrysler Plymouth, Inc. in 1998, but was later hit by the 2009 dealership onslaught. As they had kept the same dealership account number 63829 through all these years, it is likely that paperwork from the Roger Mauro period was preserved.

Medved litigated against the 2009 closure, was eventually forced to close down Lakewood in 2010, but succeeded in keeping open his dealership in Castle Rock. So maybe that's the place to turn to.

Last edited:
there is no way to know when either of the cars were built let alone speculate they were built the same day. VINs have nothing to do with production. The cars could have been built minutes, hours, days or weeks apart.

There is no way to know what wheels came on the car without the broadcast sheet.
With the rear seat gone, no broadcast sheet under the front seats, unless I get lucky and find one under the dash, which I would guess Dan already looked for, we may never know.

In the 1986 Dealer Directory the dealership is listed as 63829 Lakewood Chrysler-Plymouth, Inc., 7200 W. Colfax, Lakewood, CO 80215, orig. date 09-64; principal William W. Dwyer. Medved litigated against the 2009 closure, was eventually forced to close down Lakewood in 2010, but succeeded in keeping open his dealership in Castle Rock. So maybe that's the place to turn to.
I'll call Castle Rock on Monday. THANKS

Yes. This is what happens when you write something when you are stressed out with work.
Understandable, especially with IRS deadline 4/15 on the horizon too. And a good point of clarification on the location of W codes.

Back