1971 Fury GT, Gold, Promo Car

Kudos for saving PP23T1D100266 — you put your money where your heart is, hats off to you!

You mention a stuck 383 — since your car a T-code GT, what happened to the engine?

"My Fury's engine froze and cracked and was thrown away, (supposedly, but who can prove that? Hope it's still out there somewhere)."

Awesome Project!
Wyatt answered before I could.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The floors do look to be in great shape. The back seat is definitely not original, looks like it is from a '70 Sport Fury to me. Say by the way, not that it's a big deal but what happened to the radio? I see it's missing
In 43 years of sitting, who knows what got taken out and installed on other projects. I assume AM/FM given the high option level. I'll have to find one eventually. I added a decode to the VIN Fender Tag post, but it says nothing about what radio was in the car.

Last edited:
Ben, I have an NOS right quarter panel for a 4-door that I would sell to you and have other parts that you may need including an AM/FM Stereo radio.

Glad that this car will be saved. Personally, I don't think you should be posting a photo of someone else's fender tag without their permission.

Maybe you said something above and I missed it but I hope you will put a 440 back in it.

Excellent that you saved this car with some history behind it and it is well loaded with options.

I am also glad you bought it at that price and I didn't see it available for that sum or I would have been sorely tempted to save it.

Keep us informed as you move along......................
I already have a date matching 440 and part number matching heads. Gary was kind enough to sell me a whole engine with accessories and a gas tank. I would never think of putting a 5.7 or some other wild "upgrade" in a car with this kind of historical significance. I'm gong to get the major bodywork done first because it's easier to push around with no engine/trans/driveshaft. Steering linkage is present, so Fury GT can be steered.

Ben, I have an NOS right quarter panel for a 4-door that I would sell to you and have other parts that you may need including an AM/FM Stereo radio.

Glad that this car will be saved. Personally, I don't think you should be posting a photo of someone else's fender tag without their permission.
I got it from another thread, so I thought it was OK. I'll delete the pic. Thanks

I have an NOS right quarter panel for a 4-door that I would sell to you and have other parts that you may need including an AM/FM Stereo radio.
Nice! This is an illustration of the best about this forum :thumbsup:

Personally, I don't think you should be posting a photo of someone else's fender tag without their permission.
I got it from another thread, so I thought it was OK.
@FURYGT -- I agree in general. However, once a tag has been posted on FCBO or on another readily searchable site by its owner, then one may argue that it has in a way become part of the public domain. In this case, perhaps @1970FuryConv could simply link to the original post rather than removing it.

Nice! This is an illustration of the best about this forum :thumbsup:

@FURYGT -- I agree in general. However, once a tag has been posted on FCBO or on another readily searchable site by its owner, then one may argue that it has in a way become part of the public domain. In this case, perhaps @1970FuryConv could simply link to the original post rather than removing it.
I would need his permission to link the thread. It's several years old.

In 43 years of sitting, who knows what got taken out and installed on other projects. I assume AM/FM given the high option level. I'll have to find one eventually. I added a decode to the VIN Fender Tag post, but it says nothing about what radio was in the car.
Your picture of the fender tag says R13 when you did your list that was just a AM radio.

^^this^^

R11 was the basic AM radio. R13 is the more powerful 5.5-watt AM radio.

Nice save, are you going to build the 440 with your machinist friend again like the one in your convertible?

I don't get why they'd be considered sensitive or classified. Who's going to do what with that information?

There are several reasons that I could think of including but not limited to the following. There is a reason why when a magazine does a feature on your car you have to sign paperwork that consents to several things including posting the fender tag. What if the current owner does not have the title transferred to their name yet because the car is not road worthy or is being restored. Is it not conceivable that someone could use fender tag to phony up some paperwork and go to one of those states where it is easy to get a title and create a headache for owner? It's not a Hemi Cuda but it is a one of one car that was the very first '71 GT built and was a Promotional car to boot and while unlikely, someone could create a clone. How about the owner wanting to be private. You can find out the owner of a car with the VIN if you have the right connections. Yes, some of these things my be unlikely but I would never post someone's fender tag without their permission.

Nice save, are you going to build the 440 with your machinist friend again like the one in your convertible?
I don't know. His health was in decline. I need to see how he's doing. Really, I haven't thought about it much. I want to get the major body problems fixed and see if it needs a front sub-frame.

Your picture of the fender tag says R13 when you did your list that was just a AM radio.

^^this^^

R11 was the basic AM radio. R13 is the more powerful 5.5-watt AM radio.

I think I've heard of radios with an original AM front, but that actually are changed to receive AM and FM. Apparently thru digital tuning behind the front panel. Shame to spend all this time and money on a car and not be able to get FM.

It's nice to see that you were able to rescue this car from the gate keeper.
You have a nice money pit. A friend of mine tried to buy one of the ships but was thwarted by the seller.

The discussion about the fender tag picture ownership and "authorization" to post the pictures is another example of the illness on this site. How sad.

It's nice to see that you were able to rescue this car from the gate keeper.
You have a nice money pit. A friend of mine tried to buy one of the ships but was thwarted by the seller.
The discussion about the fender tag picture ownership and "authorization" to post the pictures is another example of the illness on this site. How sad.
I called the owner of the other car. Even though the fender tag pic is posted elsewhere on the site, he had his reasons for not wanting it in this thread or any other new thread. The conversation was calm and positive. I removed the pic. Done deal.

$ pit: You're right. I have to take a long term perspective and do the rescue/resto as money is available to throw in the pit. The car has been off the road at least 43 years. If it takes 3 or 4 years to restore, NBD. Just have to be patient and keep going. Thanks for your thoughts, Ben

I think I've heard of radios with an original AM front, but that actually are changed to receive AM and FM. Apparently thru digital tuning behind the front panel. Shame to spend all this time and money on a car and not be able to get FM.
Correct. If memory serves, @Big_John has done it and can recommend a service.

In Medina (my 1971 Monaco), either the factory by mistake or the original dealer (Smith Dodge in White Marsh, MD) or someone later on installed a period-correct AM/FM radio even though the fender tag code says R13.

Back