For Sale 1971 HP 440

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it immediately.
I can throw a rock in any direction and hit a junk Winnebago with a 440 drivetrain. :rolleyes:
ok, just to help me with what Mopar knowledge I had but forgotten and out of curiousity, what would the major differences be between the 440 "TNT" "Magnum", etc.
and the motorhome 440. I assume a thin-walled block, weaker crankshaft, etc. Also, how does the motor home variety compare to a standard 440 in a C body?

Thanks for your info.

, what would the major differences be between the 440 "TNT" "Magnum", etc
Cam shaft, valve springs, carburetor settings, timing curve in the distributor, exhaust manifold is the only differences against a standard 440. The 70 -74 HP had six-pack rods and a different balancer, the 440 motor home engines of this era also had "six pack rods". In the real world today those connecting rods are resto correct only, they have no value to high performance world.
The motorhome engines make good foundations for a build. They are usually lower mileage if they have been around for almost 50years, their transmissions are full of all sorts of goodies that can be transferred to a similar year car case.
No such thing as thin walled blocks, that is a cover-up from Chrysler to not have to mention the poor quality control (sand core shift) that was taking over in the 70s as the company was sinking in debt. The cast cranks are strong unless you are going over 500hp, good luck enjoying that in a tall geared 4500# car. A simple un-balance flex plate will allow you to put it in front of any neutral balance converter/flywheel.
It's a core with a nice air cleaner.

The popular rumor (untrue) at the time was that the blocks were made thinner because of the higher engine temps brought about to get emission devices to work correctly. We all heard that these engines could not be bored more than .030 over etc. It was all nonsense, but as urban legends go it has been persistent. The other additions to the late 440 blocks beside the external cross ribbing was the addition of extra metal to the supports for the main journals in the block.

Dave

I know, seems like a lot of dough, not mine, but more photos on FB in case of interest

Rick Schutz
8 hrs
1971 HP 440
$5,500
St Marys, PA
Thinking about selling. 50,000 Miles. Smokes a little. New, timing chain, new water pump, new oil pump, new fuel pump, rebuilt original carburetor, rebuilt alternator, new freeze plugs. Runs good, never completely rebuilt. Ran last 2 years. Always Brad penn zinc oil. Before this it sat for 20 years dry storage. 99% original parts. Complete. Air cleaner to pan.
View attachment 286586
Heck for $5000.00 I have one in my 71 300 with 80000 miles that I run every summer I'll sell...

Heck for $5000, I have one that runs, in my 71 300, with 80000 miles. I'll sell car and engine. I drive it every summer and park it for the winter... It even has that $250 air cleaner... needs some minor body work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back