NOT MINE 1971 Sport Fury 4dr hardtop just sold for $3k on eBay (360)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This may be (if I read correctly) PM43K1F215950 but the fender tag is hard to decipher. GT8 brown.

FWIW, I do not understand how this car, with a good 360 and almost no rust, sold yesterday for just $3k:

"I have for sale my 1971 plymouth fury grand cou'pe paisley edtion with the 390 motor.I purchased this car from the original owner
a few years ago. The car had been parked since 1991. Her father had purchased the car for her to drive back and forth to and from
college.The car has some very unique options mainly headlight washers.There is a picture of them in my photos.and they work.You have to see them to believe it. When you turn on the windshield washers they also go on. The odometer shows 97 thousand and the car runs like a swiss watch.I have the original window sticker and owners manual. The car has the paisley vinyl roof and interior which both need some work. The material can be purchased at SMS fabric. I did a complete mechanical update to make the car roadworthy. It's a wonderful car to cruise in. The car has had a repaint probably in the 1980s but still looks good since it has always been garaged. The body is very solid the floors are very good as well as the trunk. There is aprox.a two inch hole in the corner of the trunk otherwise solid.
When the past owner was in college there were no cell phones so her father purchased a CB radio so she had some way to communicate. The cb will stay with the car and probably still works. You can get in this car and drive anywhere. Here is a list of what has been done.

all new brakes all the way around.
Rebuilt calipers
all new wheel cyl
all new brake hoses
New gas tank and sending unit
new brake and gas lines
Rebuilt carb
air cleaner
oil and filtervalve cover gaskets
water pump
Alum radiator fan belts radiator hoses
all new radial tires.Less than 50 miles
"

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16004.jpg

s-l16006.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

s-l16009.jpg

s-l160011.jpg

s-l160015.jpg

s-l160018.jpg

Cuz it has too many doors.
But it might be worth that much in parts
My thinking exactly, the parted-out value is a lower bound —> this car pretty much sold at that rock bottom price. Fixing the front bench correctly is about $1.5k, correct top is about $1k — parts and labor. Most everything else has been done (though I’m not a fan of the radiator). So for $6k with tax and tag, you have the best looking/proportioned 4dr hardtop C-body of 1971. No AC which, for an entry level classic, is arguably a plus.

I don’t get it.

Last edited:
Not to forget the risk of what lies beneath the vinyl roof. The A-pillar and rear window frame are at great risk...

I saw that one and the roof rust would've been a deal-breaker for me.
In my limited experience, rust at the front corners of the roof seems to travel down the A-pillar, and if water pathway gets inside the car, it can eat the dashboard, too.
(obviously, rear window leaks can eat the trunk floor, but I think that is more expected)

This 85k mile, mostly-survivor U-code beauty had a rusthole in the bottom of the dash, along with some rotted structure under the package shelf and some pinholes in the trunk jamb near the dutchman. All mostly undiscovered (until after I had it awhile) due to a VT that had been replaced.

As for why a limber and 'swiss watch' car sold for only $3000 when it clearly was suitable for being an as-is DD?
That's the risk of a no-reserve auction. Gotta have 2 horses to run a race.
Only 4 bids, and looks like faster horse was @ayilar? :rofl:

1695735067909.png

1695734385802.png

My thinking exactly, the parted-out value is a lower bound —> this car pretty much sold at that rock bottom price. Fixing the front bench correctly is about $1.5k, correct top is about $1k — parts and labor. Most everything else has been done (though I’m not a fan of the radiator). So for $6k with tax and tag, you have the best looking/proportioned 4dr hardtop C-body of 1971. No AC which, for an entry level classic, is arguably a plus.

I don’t get it.
I tried to contact them to ask about the condition of the stub frame. The refusal to give me an answer told me all I needed to know......

Back