1971 Sport Fury; need help decoding broadcast!

Just copied this from I what posted a short time ago on the thread for the $35,000 Sport Fury. Please expand the quote.

I forgot to add that mistakes do happen on Fender Tags. In my opinion, the build sheet confirms that your car was NOT built with body side moldings given the lack of any code in the line 9 box where a body side molding would be indicated. There may be a correct code in the stripes box on line 3 under the stain.

.????

Line 3 of the BS confirms it WAS built with V5X.

V5X negates V6*.

Line 9 codes account for M series codes, not V series codes. V5* would not be recoded as an M code.

Plants did things differently. They did things differently between stations. Two sheets from the same car can vary in coding. It not usually valid research to compare how one plant did something and presume that’s how another plant did the same thing without corroboration from the same plant. You can’t compare what STL. did on a B body to a Belvedere plant C body without confirmation from another Belvedere sheet.

Last edited:
FURYGT said:
I forgot to add that mistakes do happen on Fender Tags and under the stripes box in your close up of a different build sheet of the stripe box it clearly lists 6W, which means code V6W for a white strobe stripe. In my opinion, the build sheet confirms that your car was NOT built with body side moldings and was built with white strobe stripes given the lack of any code in the line 9 box where a body side molding would be indicated and because there is a correct code in the stripes box on line 3.

Perhaps parts of the molding had fallen off and then were removed completely. Subsequently the metal studs for the clips holding the molding may have been ground off before the car was repainted some time in its 47 year life.

Whatever residue or (miss-) print that is next to the hole in the "Stripe" section on the broadcast sheet in line 3 will probably remain a mystery. It does not look like "6W" or any other "6..." to me. Note that the correct coding there would be "6W", not "W6" (if the stripe was in white color)

Just like the "C stone" is not proof of a prop used in faking the moon landing but rather was a pubic hair of the guy developing the film.
5AF3515E-77D8-4513-A652-2D6FB2103423.jpg

Since V5- and V6- were only available alternatively (which makes sense as to the location of molding or stripe as well as odd looks of having both), I do side with the group that argues in favor of the car having moldings, not the strobe stripe.

Is there another sheet we can all see? In the other hidden locations, no chance of finding one?

.????

Line 3 of the BS confirms it WAS built with V5X.

V5X negates V6*.

Line 9 codes account for M series codes, not V series codes. V5* would not be recoded as an M code.

Plants did things differently. They did things differently between stations. Two sheets from the same car can vary in coding. It not usually valid research to compare how one plant did something and presume that’s how another plant did the same thing without corroboration from the same plant. You can’t compare what STL. did on a B body to a Belvedere plant C body without confirmation from another Belvedere sheet.

Point taken. I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet trying to get a good decode of the build sheet issues but I did not know that different plants did the codes differently. No wonder Galen charges what he does. :lol:

So here's the verdict. I bought the car not knowing anything about what a Fury was, what parts were important or even how important fender tags are. It originally had another tag on the cowl that I was told by multiple "Mopar experts" didn't belong to the car so I wrote it off as that and threw it in a box of parts. Recently I took the time to contact Kevin McCabe (Past Chrysler Historic) and send off detailed pictures of my car, the broadcast and fender tags as well as vin info.

Chalking it up to a misprint. The car came with a few things not fully listed on the broadcast like the executive interior and the tag as well. He's currently working on finding out what the "Remarks" codes stand for.

I believe the car did not have the bump moldings on the side but it also did not come with strobes... I'm adding them anyway though lol.

I'm not an expert and even though there is some things you can research in regards to our cars me only being 24 I have to rely on the information you guys have pieced together and what little is left of Chrysler Historical. I appreciate the help from the community here.

29510985_2067046023540427_1045036358537576448_n.jpg

29496432_2067044840207212_7019948879365799936_n.jpg

So here's the verdict. I bought the car not knowing anything about what a Fury was, what parts were important or even how important fender tags are. It originally had another tag on the cowl that I was told by multiple "Mopar experts" didn't belong to the car so I wrote it off as that and threw it in a box of parts. Recently I took the time to contact Kevin McCabe (Past Chrysler Historic) and send off detailed pictures of my car, the broadcast and fender tags as well as vin info.

Chalking it up to a misprint. The car came with a few things not fully listed on the broadcast like the executive interior and the tag as well. He's currently working on finding out what the "Remarks" codes stand for.

I believe the car did not have the bump moldings on the side but it also did not come with strobes... I'm adding them anyway though lol.

I'm not an expert and even though there is some things you can research in regards to our cars me only being 24 I have to rely on the information you guys have pieced together and what little is left of Chrysler Historical. I appreciate the help from the community here.

View attachment 175128

View attachment 175129

The second build tag is usually a "comments" tag. It can be used for a variety of things. It can designate "Special Paint, Special Order, Special Handling, Sales Promotion Vehicle, Auto Show Vehicle", and on and on. It can also be used if the number of displayed options exceeds the space on the first tag. As a comments tag it usually means there was something out of the ordinary about the vehicle. Entirely possible that your car could have been ordered without the side moldings. (In most cases no information would be displayed in the stripe section or the delete code would be displayed). "Delete" is an option if the dealer knows how to properly enter the "delete" code, some were a lot better at this than others. I did not see any reference to a second tag in your first post. It is important to include things like that as that can often give a clue to non-standard vehicle features. I don't have any good explanation as to why your comment tag was left blank, could be that plant used a blank tag as an alert to non-standard features rather that listing what the feature was. Anyway, good luck with your car.

Dave

Last edited:
The second build tag is usually a "comments" tag. It can be used for a variety of things. It can designate "Special Paint, Special Order, Special Handling, Sales Promotion Vehicle, Auto Show Vehicle", and on and on. It can also be used if the number of displayed options exceeds the space on the first tag. As a comments tag it usually means there was something out of the ordinary about the vehicle. Entirely possible that your car could have been ordered without the side moldings. (In most cases no information would be displayed in the stripe section or the delete code would be displayed). "Delete" is an option if the dealer knows how to properly enter the "delete" code, some were a lot better at this than others. I did not see any reference to a second tag in your first post. It is important to include things like that as that can often give a clue to non-standard vehicle features. Anyway, good luck with your car.

Dave
I was in a bit of a tuff about what my car was or was not. Being someone JUST getting into mopars and restoration I took the word of a few people I thought were telling me good information when in fact it was not. I got the car almost 4 years ago and over time I'm learning what is important on these cars and what is not. To me the car is MY car so it doesnt make a difference if it is special or not, its just nice to know the history behind it. I was even able to track down the dealership it came from and the original owner which turned out to be a chrysler dealer exec in windsor which is kind of cool.

I was in a bit of a tuff about what my car was or was not. Being someone JUST getting into mopars and restoration I took the word of a few people I thought were telling me good information when in fact it was not. I got the car almost 4 years ago and over time I'm learning what is important on these cars and what is not. To me the car is MY car so it doesnt make a difference if it is special or not, its just nice to know the history behind it. I was even able to track down the dealership it came from and the original owner which turned out to be a chrysler dealer exec in windsor which is kind of cool.

A dealer exec car! That might be how you vehicle came to be ordered without stripes if that is the case, Chrysler execs and some other corporate big wigs could often write their own ticket as to what options were on their cars, call it a perk of their position. They had the ability to customize their vehicles with the assembly plant something that us mere mortals did not have. The "Special" designation was a factory term that was generic to things that were normally not standard and did not reflect the quality or status of the vehicle.

Dave

A lot us of here have strong opinions. Some times we disagree, sometimes were are all right, sometimes not. We do not all know everything, but that is both the beauty and curse of this site. As time goes on you will be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff as it were. Also note that a lot of spirited discussions happen because there are often big differences in the way different assembly plants did things, so what might be the right answer for one plant could be dead wrong for another. FYI

Dave

View attachment 175128

View attachment 175129

I think it's very apparent by the BS and the tag that it DID come with V5X. Remember, moldings are more than just the V5X. There are other moldings on the car that could have been deleted. Don't automatically assume the V5X moldings were deleted when all other evidence tells you differently. Check your line 9 MOLDINGS against the car. Maybe one of them was deleted. Check your broadcast sheet against other similar cars and see how they code. Maybe your car is missing an M code.

The first four numbers under remarks are a time stamp showing when the sheet was printed. (This is common on '71 sheets) Yours was printed at 11:33 AM.

A dealer exec car! That might be how you vehicle came to be ordered without stripes if that is the case, Chrysler execs and some other corporate big wigs could often write their own ticket as to what options were on their cars, call it a perk of their position. They had the ability to customize their vehicles with the assembly plant something that us mere mortals did not have. The "Special" designation was a factory term that was generic to things that were normally not standard and did not reflect the quality or status of the vehicle.

Dave

It may have been owned by an executive but there is nothing on the broadcast sheet indicating it was an executive ordered 'special' car. There is no Y code. The VON is a standard built for sale in Canada VON.

Let's pump the brakes a little and work with what evidence we have in front of us.

It may have been owned by an executive but there is nothing on the broadcast sheet indicating it was an executive ordered 'special' car. There is no Y code. The VON is a standard built for sale in Canada VON.

Let's pump the brakes a little and work with what evidence we have in front of us.

It’s hard to distinguish without the dealer printout or the shipping invoice what exactly the car came with other than what is listed. I agree with you in part because of V5X being listed on the tag.

Last week I also tried to reach out to the Belvedere factory itself to inquire on shipping invoices to Canada but have yet to hear back. I got the impression that the records exist somewhere from FCA customer service, but were destroyed partially by an employee or fire. They weren’t very specific in that area lol.

I have the benefit of living very close to the Michigan plant (45 minute drive) and FCA customer care in Windsor, Ontario. I ended up requesting to view the archieves myself and volunteer my time to document any information they don’t have the man power to document.

Unfortunately the dealership my car came from no longer exists. “Pajot Chrysler, Amherstburg Ontario”, the print out from the ministry of transportation has them listed as owning it from Jan, 1971 to 1973 with the owner as the registered owner. After which an Italian fellow bought it and parked the car until he passed away. I got it at the estate sale with 40k on it but mice and other rodents were through the car.

Here’s a question; is it possible to look up old dealerships?

a shipping invoice would be a reflection of the sheet only with dollars attached to extra cost options and with less detail. The BS is usually the best place to start.

Because the tag is attached after BIW and before other items are attached, painted, trimmed, I’d pursue the idea that one of the standard M code moldings was deleted. Sourcing the additional codes in REMARKS can’t hurt your research.

The difficulty will be determine if the molding was deleted by the factory or during the restoration. Or, possibly, if a molding deleted by the factory was added during the restoration.

The difficulty will be determine if the molding was deleted by the factory or during the restoration. Or, possibly, if a molding deleted by the factory was added during the restoration.

When I purchased the car it had only been touched up VERY poorly on the drivers fender. The car was never “restored” before I had it. It even retained the original red oxide primer under the paint. It had a cheap respray of a lighter green that I was able to wetsand off but the trim on it was standard Sport fury trim. (Wheel well edge, rocket kick plate and rear bumper guard). I don’t see any other molding but the side molding missing. I actually still have everything taken off the car in my garage.

When I purchased the car it had only been touched up VERY poorly on the drivers fender. The car was never “restored” before I had it. It even retained the original red oxide primer under the paint. It had a cheap respray of a lighter green that I was able to wetsand off but the trim on it was standard Sport fury trim. (Wheel well edge, rocket kick plate and rear bumper guard). I don’t see any other molding but the side molding missing. I actually still have everything taken off the car in my garage.

it’s gone through a full restoration

I’m confused.......or did auto correct default to gone and you meant going?

Check your BS M codes against the moldings on the car. Either something was or wasn’t deleted. If the moldings are there, something wasn’t deleted or someone replaced a deleted molding, in which case you may never know what was deleted.

There are only so many options available to this mystery.

Back