1972 Fury III, Brakes Pull Left

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
When I brake medium to hard on my Fury III, front disc/rear drum, car pulls left
I have only driven the car about 30 miles since purchase.
The rebuild parts are from a previous owner
Master Cylinder looks new, filled to top. Pedal is not spongy
20171223-4.jpeg

Rear Brakes
· Wheel Cylinders: 3461776 cast#, original both sides
· RS: lots of brake dust and some wear. Drum OK. Slight rub on shoes when turn drum.
· RS: I watched the shoes while assistant pressed brake pedal: forward shoe moves, rear does not
20180320_112513.jpg

20180320_112544.jpg

· LS: no brake dust or wear. LS adj very loose. Drum OK. No rub when turn drum
· LS: forward shoe moves, rear moves slightly
20180320_114554.jpg

20180320_114624.jpg

· No leaks either side.
· Pedal does not feel spongy. Does not feel like air in system
Normally, in past experience car should pull right, but car pulls left. Front discs look OK. RS Brake drum had a lot of residual dust, like the car has been doing this for a while. LS drum very clean. My feeling is that I should replace both wheel cylinders. What do you think is the problem? Thanks, Ben

This is a total guess but you may want to check your right front caliper. If it is froze up, only the left will grab, pulling the car to the left. I had a similar issue on my old 98 Ram.

Chances are you won't feel a pull if it's in the rear brakes, but that does look like only one side is working.

I would say that the problem is in the adjuster or it hasn't had a chance to "self adjust" enough. I'd spray the dusty shoe and drum down with some brake cleaner and then take up the adjustment manually on the other side.

Then I would take a serious look at the front brakes...

Best way to check this is to jack up the front end, have someone inside the car, rotate the tire and wheel and have them step on the brake pedal. You should not be able to rotate the wheel with the brake applied. Check both left and right side.

Just a shot in the dark but speaking from experience, my car was just doing the same thing. I just replaced all the bushings on the front sway bar and it fixed it. I thought it was my brakes too but the sway bar had a lot of slop and I had planned on replacing all the rubbers on the front. Still working on upper control arms and ball joints.

Good luck.

80 percent of your brake force is done by your front wheels so i would be looking at your front calipers and suspension to see if there are any issues there. As mentioned before, check that right caliper. If that checks out then check your suspension bushes, if they are worn it can cause one of the wheels to "dive" and cause your car to pull to one side. I'm going to bet though that it is something to do with your right caliper and disk.

The left caliper piston is staying partially engaged. I tried to retract it with a clamp, but got only a little movement. Right side caliper seemed to clamp/release OK, but I did not try to retract it. Since there's no sense in replacing one caliper, I think the car needs 2 calipers and 2 wheel cylinders. Then proper rear brake adjust. Thanks for all the help!

The left caliper piston is staying partially engaged. I tried to retract it with a clamp, but got only a little movement. Right side caliper seemed to clamp/release OK, but I did not try to retract it. Since there's no sense in replacing one caliper, I think the car needs 2 calipers and 2 wheel cylinders. Then proper rear brake adjust. Thanks for all the help!

This would also be a good time to replace all of the brake hoses if that has not already been done. If the car is going to sit a lot, you might also consider converting to Dot 5 brake fluid as this will reduce any problems with corrosion in the wheel cylinders and calipers.

Dave

Thanks Dave
I'll check on the hoses
Ordered
Calipers NAPA SE4582 right and SE4583 left, $34.99 each with $8.99 core
· These are painted black, while Advance & AutoZone $29.99 each are not.
· Caliper Pins are included. No need to order separate.
· Calipers are in Washington DC. S/B here by Friday unless snow delay. (It’s snowing today)
· Ordered two NAPA United 37235 wheel cylinders, in stock in store

Last edited:
Thanks Dave
I'll check on the hoses
Ordered
Calipers NAPA SE4582 left and SE4583 right, $34.99 each with $8.99 core
· These are painted black, while Advance & AutoZone $29.99 each are not.
· Caliper Pins are included. No need to order separate.
· Calipers are in Washington DC. S/B here by Friday unless snow delay. (It’s snowing today)
· Ordered two NAPA United 37235 wheel cylinders, in stock in store
When you install the calipers make sure you do not mix them up side to side. BLEEDER SCREW AT THE TOP, or you will not be able to bleed the brake's correctly.

Back