1972 Imperial tilt-a-scope column, cruise turn signal lever removal

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
Okay team, here we go!
I'm working with Bill (traintech55) from the forum here (over the phone) to repair the tilt-a-scope column in my 72 Imperial. He nor I have ever seen the turn signal lever attached to the turn signal switch by any other means other than a screw.

My car has cruise control so with the wire running down the bottom of the turn signal lever, there's not much to see in there. Rather than a screw attaching the lever to the turn signal switch, this one has some sort of rectangular metal plate with a rectangle swaged head pin through it.
I've tried to (GENTLY) pry the metal plate out of the switch; nope.
I've grabbed the swaged head with needle nose pliers and tried to pull it out of the plate; nope.
I've tried to pull the turn signal switch up out of the column and away from the turn signal lever while pushing the wire harness up from the bottom and the switch just rocks up on the right, and pivots on the lever without separating from the lever.

Has anyone here ever experienced this type of lever/switch attaching hardware, and do you know how to undo the lever from the switch??

Thanks! Ron

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 10.23.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 10.22.55 PM.png

I think on the tilt-wheel column the cruise lever screws into the switch. I don't have one handy, but they are just threaded on the end, IIRC.

Just a WAG here, but with the old cars, the stalk screwed in. Give the stalk a CCW twist and see what happens.

Big John - YOU ARE A GOD!!!! Thank you!!!! I just went out and put a thin crescent wrench in the slots, said a prayer and went for it! Out she came!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think on the tilt-wheel column the cruise lever screws into the switch. I don't have one handy, but they are just threaded on the end, IIRC.

Big John - YOU ARE A GOD!!!! Thank you!!!! I just went out and put a thin crescent wrench in the slots, said a prayer and went for it! Out she came!
Ummm, isn't that what I said?

@65 500 did mention it first, although I did illustrate it with a pic.

I'm not a god... Far from it. Glad I could help though.

@65 500 did mention it first, although I did illustrate it with a pic.

I'm not a god... Far from it. Glad I could help though.
Accept the hero worship when you can find it... :lol:

It's always fun to read these threads...:thankyou:

Thanks everyone. Even after 45 years of working on cars you still never see everything. Glad we have such good guys on this site.

Back