1972 New Yorker TILT STEERING COLUMN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... seriously... aside from the Grant wheel (LOL) is there a steering wheel that bolts up with no modification besides the one that it came with?

I have a rim blow steering wheel that came with it that is rough but it could be fixed (It's better than Stan's) but the center pad is missing.

I had a thought of using it in my '70, even though it's not the "correct" tilt/telescoping column. The column needs some TLC and I just want to know if it's worth screwing with or if I should trade it off to someone that really needs it.

I can't speak for the earlier wheels. Does it look like the wheels on the Formals?
NO aftermarket steering wheel will fit, nor can any be used with any available adapters to fit the Formal T&T wheel. AUsHWeK, right Bob?.

The center is unique.

30crj9y.jpg
qrekk5.jpg

2q01zcw.jpg

I saved the center from an old wheel. My plan was to use it on a modern OEM wheel like the Caddy wheel below. Would look good and not out of place. But it's a moot point now since I found a NOS wheel.

53bbcd51328e2b5d2f0adb0e6f4a40b3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Stan, I understand now.

I just took another look at my column. The wheel is rougher than I thought it was. I wouldn't waste any time on it.

I could gut the center and adapt another wheel.... I might have a line on a repairable woodgrain wheel. I'll have to measure the depth of the dish and give it some thought. Hmmmmm.....

The center hub is the same. A non-telescoping wheel has to have a 1/2" of the rear of the hub machined off with a lathe. I did this on a 1977 Charger wheel.

DSC01963.jpgDSC01964.jpgDSC01968.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back