1973 dodge polara police

Status
Not open for further replies.

thibs56

Reaction score
Contact seller
1973 dodge polara , former cop car from california. Lot of time and money put into it, but is being advertized as needing a FULL restoration rebuilt frontend and brakes. has rebuilt 440 that has never been started, rebuit radiator and new firm feel steering box. Has typical floor rust associated with floor mats. The front floor pan has been replaced. Needs rear floors. Some pin holes itrunk. The rest of body and frame are solid. $2200.00
Pictures at http://public.fotki.com/thibs56/1973-dodge-polara/

E-mail at thibs56@yahoo.com call located in maaschusetts

Last edited:
looks like there may be another cop car in the garage in the background. Wish you were closer, I'd come have a look!

when I first posted the original poster wasnt even on the top of the thread. Thats a lot of work done there

That's a good deal. CHP car!!!! White steering wheel!!!! I have no more room :( :( :(

Once again don't believe it is a CA CHP patrol car. One, I don't ever recall seeing a white care in 1973 and two the law below dated effective 1977. In fact, I don't think I ever saw a white car (enforcement of trucking regs) till the early 2000's. A local police force maybeee, but not CHP.

Californian State Law:

Title 13. Motor Vehicles (Refs & Annos), Division 2. Department of the California Highway Patrol, Chapter 5. Special Vehicles, Article 5. Color of Traffic Law Enforcement Vehicles, § 1141. Color Requirements.

Each motor vehicle shall have a distinctive exterior finish, exclusive of wheels and trim, as follows:

(a) Vehicles Except Motorcycles.
Vehicles, except motorcycles, shall be painted:

(1) Entirely white; or

(2) White, except that an area not less than and including the front door panels shall be black; or

(3) Black, except that an area not less than and including the front door panels shall be white; or

(4) Any other color, with any color front door panels.

(5) The indicia or name of governmental entity operating the vehicle shall be displayed in sharp contrast to the background on the front door panels and shall be of such size, shape, and color as to be readily legible during daylight hours from a distance of 50 feet.

(b) Stripes. Painted or decal stripes may be used provided that the stripe does not interfere with the contrast or legibility of the indicia or name of the governmental entity operating the vehicle.

(c) Motorcycles. Each motorcycle shall have one of the following finishes:

(1) Entirely white; or

(2) The sides of the tank and fenders shall be white or the fenders may be entirely white or entirely black; the remaining portions of the motorcycle, which normally receive a painted or enameled finish, shall be black, white, or a combination of black and white, except that these surfaces may have a sharply contrasting accent color overlaying the predominant black and/or white background; or

(3) Any other color.

(4) The indicia or name of governmental entity operating the motorcycle shall be displayed in sharp contrast to the background on the sides of the fairing or tank and shall be of such size, shape, and color as to be readily recognizable during daylight hours from a distance of 50 feet.

Note: Authority cited: Section 2402, Vehicle Code. Reference: Section 40800, Vehicle Code.

HISTORY

1. Amendment filed 4-8-77; designated effective 5-9-77 (Register 77, No. 15).

2. Editorial correction adding NOTE filed 4-28-83 (Register 83, No. 18).

3. Amendment of subsections (b) and (c)(2) filed 8-31-93; operative 10-1-93
(Register 93, No. 36).

4. Amendment of first paragraph and subsection (a)(4), new subsection (a)(5),
amendment of subsection (c)(2) and new subsections (c)(3)-(4) filed 6-2-2008;
operative 7-2-2008 (Register 2008, No. 23).

5. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 7-8-2010; operative 8-7-2010 (Register
2010, No. 28).

13 CCR § 1141, 13 CA ADC § 1141
This database is current through 8/13/10 Register 2010, No. 33

CHP specially ordered the white steering wheels. I don't know of any others that did. This cars steering wheel is cracked up pretty bad though.

CHP specially ordered the white steering wheels. I don't know of any others that did. This cars steering wheel is cracked up pretty bad though.

Research says not a CA pursuit car and since I have been in CA since 1966 I would agree. Never ever saw one a white unit until they bought some very late model pony cars but never in a full size. Besides, as above, the law is very specific as to how the cars were painted and the dates it was enacted. So buyer beware as they need to look into the nooks and crannies of the car. When a CHP car is sold off the rule is that the white doors and white roof need to be painted. Most of the time the short route is taken and they get quickly painted black. If this was painted, over the years, then there should be traces of black paint in the hard to reach places. Failing that then it is an imposter.

Not a chp car. What was left of the build sheet, showed "State of California". Most likely a smaller agency piggy backed an order on the state bid.

From the now-defunct California State Police?

Those cars were white with only a door shield.Show below is a Plymouth Volare...but you get the idea.

45a16a050f4b8db59f075f054e8a8e1e_zps39de6d11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back