1973 New Yorker

smog_93

Reaction score
I only just joined and with a little bit of lurking I found answers to many of my questions in various threads. I just bought a triple green 73 new yorker with a 440. Or at least I'd like to think so. I was not able to verify the engine. I've figured out most of my data plate,
R31 " fr sing spr/w/r11" (not sure what that is)
G25 man vent window
M45 fender skirts
R23 (couldn't find)
L31 hood/fender mount turn signals

I know the D34 is TorqueFlite trans but couldn't find if the E85 engine code indeed represents the 440.
Thanks in advance

20231213_190912.jpg

Down left corner is E85 (=440cu in 4 barrel V8)
R 31 Dual rear speaker
V1F = Full Venyl top, -Green
H51 = A/C
R23=

Search Tune AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
CS41 = Chrysler, Special, 4 Door Sedan
T3C = Also the "T" stands for the 440 1-4BBL. 3 = 1973; C = Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

Congrats to your aquisition.

Last edited:
If your car is all original, your data plate shows you have an R23 radio which is an am/fm search tune, so with that radio you might have a single rear speaker - (my code description isn't really clear on the R31 with your radio, so my guess is you have a single rear speaker - If you had an R11 radio that would have been an AM only radio that would have had a front single speaker only). The E85 indicates you indeed have the standard performance 440 engine (also noted by the T in your VIN) that is standard on the New Yorkers). The H51 means you have air conditioning.

Oops, it looks like I posted my reply at the same time as the one above.....so it might help too with some of the codes.................

Very informative! Thank you Lycidias!
It's a nice survivor that needs some loving.
I'll be posting some photos in the morning. Especially because I just crawled in the trunk curious about the broadcast sheet and it's there!!
It's just behind a panel that's going to have to be removed very delicately as it seems mice were living in there at some point. But it's overall very clean and I'm excited to share the process of getting it as close as I can to 100%

If your car is all original, your data plate shows you have an R23 radio which is an am/fm search tune, so with that radio you might have a single rear speaker - (my code description isn't really clear on the R31 with your radio, so my guess is you have a single rear speaker - If you had an R11 radio that would have been an AM only radio that would have had a front single speaker only). The E85 indicates you indeed have the standard performance 440 engine (also noted by the T in your VIN) that is standard on the New Yorkers). The H51 means you have air conditioning.

Oops, it looks like I posted my reply at the same time as the one above.....so it might help too with some of the codes.................
Thank you! Yes it does just have a single rear speaker. It has a fader to adjust front and rear audio output. I was a bit worried because somehow in the 30 yrs I've been alive and a mopar guy, I had never heard of the 400 motor. The guy could have had no problem getting the better of me. But as far as I can tell the only difference is the bore/stroke and the only way to tell is engine codes, is that correct?

Thank you! Yes it does just have a single rear speaker. It has a fader to adjust front and rear audio output. I was a bit worried because somehow in the 30 yrs I've been alive and a mopar guy, I had never heard of the 400 motor. The guy could have had no problem getting the better of me. But as far as I can tell the only difference is the bore/stroke and the only way to tell is engine codes, is that correct?
There are differences between the blocks, notably in the valley pan area and there is a stamping on the front of the engine that tells which engine it is. What I have described is my experience between the 383s and the 440s, so maybe with the 400s, things might have changed some.

Here's a quick video before work, I'm probably going to pull the seat when I get home if I'm up for it. Maybe somebody can tell me an easier way before I waste a bunch of time. Thanks in advance.

Welcome @smog_93 and congrats on buying CS41T3C199855 (if I see the tag correctly).

I own a 1973 NYB too -- I call her Ming, and you may find some useful information for repairs and maintenance in the thread that I have for her. You may also find good information in The 1973 Chrysler Thread

Here's a quick video before work, I'm probably going to pull the seat when I get home if I'm up for it. Maybe somebody can tell me an easier way before I waste a bunch of time. Thanks in advance.

@71Polara383 may have some suggestions.

PS: When you pull the seat, don't forget to look for a build sheet. If you find one, it'd be great if you could please post it either here or in The 1973 Chrysler Thread.

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D34: Automatic Transmission

C: Chrysler
S: Special (New Yorker Brougham)
41: 4 Door Sedan

T: 440 cid 4 barrel V8
3: 1973
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

JF8: Dark Green metallic
H7F6: Trim - High, Green Carlisle-cloth & Cologne-grain-vinyl Divided Bench Seats
(with Individual Adjustments, Passenger Recliner and Armrest in front & Armrest in rear)
JF8: Dark Green Poly Int. Door Frames

102: Build Date: January 2, 1973

199855: Sequence Number

223224: VON

V1F: Full Vinyl Top, Green

H51: Manual A/C
G25: Vent Windows

R35: AM/FM Stereo Radio (10 Watts)

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

M45: Fender Skirts

P31: Power Windows

R31: Rear Speaker

Don't bother trying to pull that sheet...find the other ones.

Under the carpet. Under the seat bottom of the rear seat. I even found parts of one smashed between the front bumper and bracket on @ayilar 's 1973.

The free downloads of the parts book and service manuals are at www.mymopar.com. The service manual explains the front of the block castings and the numbers thereon.

In the "Info" section in the front of the parts book, it explains how to decode the VIN and the data plate, as @ayilar has done for you.

In the normal Chrysler model hierarchy, CE or CL is normally a Newport, CM would be a 300, CH would be a New Yorker, with CS being the NY Brougham you have.

Then head over to www.hamtramck-historical.com and go into the "Library" section, then click on the model year in the spreadsheet menu to go to the Dealer Order Guide (explanation of options and their respective codes) and the Color and Trim Guide for interior designs, colors, fabrics, and related codes.

You might be surprised at how well the acrylic enamel on those Chryslers will polish up. Just don't use the polishing/cleaner compound too much! Get the basic haze off and stop. Then protect with a good cleaner wax of your choice initially. Then use the cleaner wax a few times to further "clean" the finish. Then "ceramic".

Welcome and enjoy!
CBODY67

The free downloads of the parts book and service manuals are at www.mymopar.com. The service manual explains the front of the block castings and the numbers thereon.

In the "Info" section in the front of the parts book, it explains how to decode the VIN and the data plate, as @ayilar has done for you.

In the normal Chrysler model hierarchy, CE or CL is normally a Newport, CM would be a 300, CH would be a New Yorker, with CS being the NY Brougham you have.

Then head over to www.hamtramck-historical.com and go into the "Library" section, then click on the model year in the spreadsheet menu to go to the Dealer Order Guide (explanation of options and their respective codes) and the Color and Trim Guide for interior designs, colors, fabrics, and related codes.

You might be surprised at how well the acrylic enamel on those Chryslers will polish up. Just don't use the polishing/cleaner compound too much! Get the basic haze off and stop. Then protect with a good cleaner wax of your choice initially. Then use the cleaner wax a few times to further "clean" the finish. Then "ceramic".

Welcome and enjoy!
CBODY67
Huge help! Thank you!

Welcome and enjoy!
CBODY67

Amen on the enamel clean up.

Under the carpet. Under the seat bottom of the rear seat. I even found parts of one smashed between the front bumper and bracket on @ayilar 's 1973.

Well it appears that someone has already pulled the one under the carpet, it was already untucked from the sill plate. And no luck with the front bumper either. I think I'm going to end up pulling the front driver and rear seats to fish those out. Probably after Christmas on a day off. The one in the backseat looks too good not to share.

20231218_182240.jpg

Sorry I actually have dual rear speakers but one is not currently connected. It caught my eye when I was crawling in the trunk looking for build sheets. Is it possible that either one of these are factory?
20231218_184724.jpg
20231218_184715.jpg

Well it appears that someone has already pulled the one under the carpet, it was already untucked from the sill plate. And no luck with the front bumper either. I think I'm going to end up pulling the front driver and rear seats to fish those out. Probably after Christmas on a day off. The one in the backseat looks too good not to share.

View attachment 633284
Pop that seat bottom up, remove the other sill plate and take a peek under the carpet anyways. You never know what you will find...

20231113_212118.jpg
20231113_212128.jpg
20231113_212141.jpg
20231113_212210.jpg

The one in your back seat looks like it is in the netting and will be difficult to remove in one piece...youll likely have to cut into that webbing as it is not just tucked into the springs...Photograph it clearly and leave it alone.

Pop that seat bottom up, remove the other sill plate and take a peek under the carpet anyways. You never know what you will find...

View attachment 633302View attachment 633303View attachment 633304View attachment 633305

The one in your back seat looks like it is in the netting and will be difficult to remove in one piece...youll likely have to cut into that webbing as it is not just tucked into the springs...Photograph it clearly and leave it alone.
No luck there, but I did at least clean up under the seat while I was at it. And got the carpet tucked nice and neat under the sill plates. The photo previously posted of the carpet I'm inclined to believe was caused by mice tunneling along the driver side. No sign of them now though, thank goodness. Dually noted on the netting. I'll post a clean photo of it when I get a chance. Hopefully before work tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Back