1973 Newport 400 V8 Carburetor Issues

DeMopuar

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1973 Newport coupe with a 400 and A/T. The person I purchased this from changed the carb out and the car stumbles and doesn't run quite right -- and I don't want to burn up the motor because I was too cheap to take care of this properly.

So my question would be, I know this engine combination had originally a 2 bbl carb on it (which I want to stay with for ease of everything) -- would I be smart to go back to the original setup, or is there a better carburetor 2 bbl setup that I should gravitate to? I don't even know what the original carb is on the car because there's a poor quality "rebuilt" Carquest quality 2 bbl on it now -- I did ask for the original carb when I bought the car, but he had thrown it away. I would like to know what carb would work well on this 400 V8 (i.e. idle and run well into the 2,500 rpm range as well as hook up well to the stock factory linkage). I'm not going to be doing the quarter mile in this bad boy, and would just like a nice quality setup for my new ride.

Thank you,

Mark

and don't forget about the additives to combat the ill affects of the ethanol. How about a pic of your new ride??

Back