1973 Newport Steering Coupler/Rag Joint

badvs3vil

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had to change out my gear box and while I was at it, I seen my rag joint was shot. I searched all over but couldn't find one. While I waited to find one somewhere, I did read in these forums about using a Rubber Hockey Puck... Which worked! However I didn't want to leave it in that long. I did find on RockAuto.com a Rag Joint that they say would fit my car. It didn't have any pictures or anything and from what I read on these forums, is that most people cant find the factory replacement so they use a solid piece of aluminum or something else, like the rubber hockey puck. Well I took a chance and ordered the RockAuto.com one and got it today and sure enough its an exact match. So I figured I would post this here in case anybody else was looking for one.

The left one is my original being held together by zip ties, the middle being the hockey puck I used and the right one is the LARES 220.

More Information for LARES 220

upload_2021-5-4_22-9-20.png

Last edited:
Well I can tell you it works, I guess I will find out how long it will last! LOL

I also changed out the mounting hardware with new bolts and nuts from the hardware store. I stripped one of the original bolts.

upload_2021-5-4_22-30-42.png

G'Day,
Just checked Rock Auto & the LARES 220 Also Seems to be the Right One for my 69 Phoenix / Ply Fury.
Which means it will cover 65-72 in the Land of OZ.
Thanks for Sharing!
Kind Regards Tony.M

I am impressed that Lares makes that coupler. I had no idea it was available from Rock Auto no less and appears to be an exact fit.

In the past I have been using a similar one from a Land Rover with some minor/modest modifications.

This is very good news and surprising.

I personally would not use an all metal hockey puck since it would depreciate the benefits of Torsion Quiet Ride on the models that have that upgrade, which are generally post 1969 with some exceptions.

Thanks for sharing your research and results!

I have only been on this forum for a couple weeks and have had so much help from everyone on my other issues, I am glad I could give back, with something small like this.

Thanks

I just did my coupler a couple weeks before Carlisle.

While the Rover piece worked, that new piece at $41... Wow. Would have saved me some work.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if that part will also work on B vans?

Last edited:
So I made this thread after I found the Lares 220 and it made it though the rest of the summer and still going. No issues at all.

Back