NOT MINE 1973 Plymouth Custom Suburban Station Wagon up for auction on BaT

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
PH45K3D182499 is for sale on BaT. There used to be a thread about this HL4 Plymouth, started on March 11 of this year as per my records, but it seems to have recently been removed -- the info still shows up when searching online, but not on FCBO. What gives, @SportFury70 -- is this not your car? In the affirmative, GLWS!

Picture from BaT for records here on FCBO, including the fender tag. @azblackhemi @70 Sport Suburban @cuda hunter @69CoronetRT

1713293895815.png

1713293907558.png

1713293918474.png

1713293929509.png

1713294189283.png

@SportFury70 posted that he was deleting the thread to put it on B.A.T. Hope it does better than my Monaco wagon did.

Correct, and thats exactly what sadly happened. I would of kept the ad up here (and I wanted to), but I pulled it down because bringatrailer said to and said they don’t want ads of the car anywhere online because its an auction.

PH45K3D182499 is for sale on BaT. There used to be a thread about this HL4 Plymouth, started on March 11 of this year as per my records, but it seems to have recently been removed -- the info still shows up when searching online, but not on FCBO. What gives, @SportFury70 -- is this not your car? In the affirmative, GLWS!

Not, “mine” so to speak but my stepdads yes it is. As stated above, as much as I wanted to keep the ad up here I sadly took it down because bringatrailer said to. We put it on bringatrailer because its not selling too well on here and with Chandlers wagon going for $15,000 we figured we would see how good ours would do. I seriously and personally hope a member on here buys it and not some random Joe Schmo, and so far with 7 days to go the current bid is at $555.00 bid by a fellow called firedude555.

Latest Update on the wagon-

The car is still for sale on bringatrailer with 1 day to go for anyone here who would like to bid on it, and the auction ends tomorrow around 3:18 PM. There are 2 bids on it and about 530 watchers, the latest bid is $5,327. My stepdad set the reserve at $7,000. I hope to give another update tomorrow at some point. Happy Bidding…I seriously hope someone here gets the car!

Latest Update on the wagon-

The car is still for sale on bringatrailer with 1 day to go for anyone here who would like to bid on it, and the auction ends tomorrow around 3:18 PM. There are 2 bids on it and about 530 watchers, the latest bid is $5,327. My stepdad set the reserve at $7,000. I hope to give another update tomorrow at some point. Happy Bidding…I seriously hope someone here gets the car!
With one day to go the other 73 wagon was roughly in the same price range. Hope to see this wagon bring similar money. At reserve, it's practically being given away.

At reserve, it's practically being given away.
Sadly yes, it is. At this point my stepdad just wants it gone so he can get his newest car from his friend in New York. I hope it brings at least $10,000, although I maybe a little too hopeful. Anything can happen.

Sadly yes, it is. At this point my stepdad just wants it gone so he can get his newest car from his friend in New York. I hope it brings at least $10,000, although I maybe a little too hopeful. Anything can happen.
my $0.02.

I aint a "wagoneer". Owned a BUNCH of cars, and not one wagon, and only recenttly in a 40 year hobbyist career to date, a couple C-body verts (never owned ANY verts before either).

Your step-dad's wagon is chery though. I like it a lot. I hope he gets makes a fair deal and it gets a good home.

Like the @azblackhemi wagon, if it DOES go at/near the reserve, thats helluva deal. I'd do either even/both of those deals at the speed of electronic payments IF the reserve was enough for your step-dad's and at actual winning bid onthe @azblackhemi sled.

Even though NOT a buyer, nor a "wagoneer". Nice stuff and honest sellers don't come along everyday :)

This is because I "know" you fellas are quality members, I would however feel like I stole from you. Say it this way, I don't have money to burn, but I will pay fairly for quality things and I don't stiff my buddies.

EOD, may not make the deal with a friend (ie., we see the value of a thing differently, we see it alike but I dont have the cabbage, whatever), but its important to do right by people and be on good terms after the deal did/didnt get done.

Anyway, I predict it'll do better than the reserve. It may not, but I hope it does.

Still a very nice car either way :). ALL the best to him.

Well folks, the car is sold. It sold at 3:18 and for $8,000, to some fellow named notchjohnston. I’ll tell ya that guy got a hell of a deal. I hope the new owner is on the forum, or if he’s not he joins.

Well folks, the car is sold. It sold at 3:18 and for $8,000, to some fellow named notchjohnston. I’ll tell ya that guy got a hell of a deal. I hope the new owner is on the forum, or if he’s not he joins.
How the brown one brought more than this one is astounding.

Hope the new owner joins up.

With one day to go the other 73 wagon was roughly in the same price range. Hope to see this wagon bring similar money. At reserve, it's practically being given away.
I thought you said wagons are hot :poke::BangHead:, someone f in STOLE our car. My stepdad don’t care what it sold for though, he just wanted it gone.

I thought you said wagons are hot :poke::BangHead:, someone f in STOLE our car. My stepdad don’t care what it sold for though, he just wanted it gone.
Not a lot of wagon buyers. People say they're hot but that's been for 30 years, nothings changed. Yours was given away.

My 74 Monaco wagon sold for $7100 on B.A.T. last fall. If I had put a reserve on it it would've been at least $8500. I had been watching auctions on there for awhile and thought I didn't need a reserve. Oh well not the first time I was wrong.

40+ years at this and, for me at least, ya can still see things that are hard to figure out.
Screenshot_20240424-081959.png

these two wagons are in that category for me. Never been a "wagoneer" as I have said, but i think i can still tell nice stuff ... from not so nice stuff.

i have, surely as many of you, seen cars transact outside ranges I would expect. Too high, too low. Whatever.

As a collectible vehicle category, vintage wagons seem to do well. But, dig into the details, maybe certain colors/body styles almost always do better than other colors/styles -- all other factors equal for a given vehicle.

Same as in brand new cars for 100 Years. skewed perhaps by type/color of car?

For example, in my OEM experience, we sold "red" sports cars like hotcakes. "red" luxo-barges not as well. some "coupes" we couldnt give away when they popped outta our plants "new".

50 years later (even taking into account inflation, so in constant dollars), darn things sell used for at/well above what we got for them "new". sure, "rarity" today factors in.

Not many made back then, tends to put upward pressure on prices today for surviving specimens. Still I used to have data that proved what I am saying. Anecdotally, I think is still true

source: Most Popular Car Colors Over Time… Shades of Gray | Daily Infographic
1713967364050.png

anyway, highfalutin' number-mashing, trend scrubbing aside (which I actually enjoy wallowing around in that nerdy stuff), these particular wagons may have done exactly what they were "supposed" to do in their respective deals.

I dont think so (they went lower than I would have thought beforehand), but as long as willing buyer and seller feel good enough, they were good deals for them.

"Peanut gallery" denizens like me may just do best by just wishing 'em both (and these fine cars in their new homes) well. :)

Last edited:
I used to have data that proved what I am saying. Anecdotally, I think is still true

source: Most Popular Car Colors Over Time… Shades of Gray | Daily Infographic
Thank you for providing data to support your claims. Looking at the link, the underlying information is from a Belgian website:

New and used cars in Belgium | Gocar.be

I do not know if the market shares shown above are for cars sold in the States, Europe, or Belgium because the actual data are behind a paywall. My assumption is one of the latter two (i.e., not USA), as the VW Golf (several versions of which are displayed as illustrations in the cited article) was long the best-selling car in Europe (2007-2021, see here).

Regardless, I think that the trends presented above are correlated the figures for the USA. Further, your point holds regardless: colors that were very popular then (tan/beige like the two wagons being discussed here, and especially medium green) are not so popular now. I happen to like a pale yellow with green interior combo, but I am not in the majority -- @polara71 may chime in.

Last edited:
Thank you for providing data to support your claims. Looking at the link, the underlying information is from a Belgian website:

New and used cars in Belgium | Gocar.be

I do not know if the market shares shown above are for cars sold in the States, Europe, or Belgium because the actual data are behind a paywall. My assumption is one of the latter two (i.e., not USA), as the VW Golf was long the best-selling car in Europe (2007-2021, see here).

Regardless, I think that the trends presented above are correlated the figures for the USA. Further, I think your point is correct: colors that were very popular then (tan/beige like the two wagons being discussed here, and especially medium green) are not so popular now. I happen to like a pale yellow with green interior combo, but I am not in the majority -- @polara71 may chime in.
i didnt pay attention to the underlying data (i am at work). it looked familiar to the US market to me in that color variety was more prevalent 50 years ago. when left OEM car biz 15 years ago, that color variety was gone.

today's preferences may have same, or even disproportional (even bifurcated as you dig into subsegments/cohorts) effect on toda'sy buyers' likes for vintage (cars built or EOP) before they were even born let alone if they were kids.

my speculation is, for vintage wagons, color preferences dont align with preferences when they were built...And furthermore, beautiful greens, or neutral, lighter colors may get 'penalized" .

me? on vintage cars, i tend to pick "good bones" over whether i would of bought any given color, on that vintage car, when it was new. stated another way, i like vintage cars more original in that regard no matter their color as built.

in general, darker/"richer" colors tend to catch my eye no matter the vehicle vintage. originality/overall vehicle condition tends to trump car color for vintage sleds to me.

All that said, i am still convinced the two wagons in question represented exceptional deals for a couple buyers. Were I a player, vs. a spectator, for them, i'd have sayed in there longer in the the pursuit. They were worth more, to me, than they went for.

It happens ... i have been on both sides of such deals.

:thumbsup:

New car color choices are such as they are because of the lack of choices.

The color is the most important piece of the car to me on old Iron after model and make.

I don't buy cars with green in their color scheme.

New car color choices are such as they are because of the lack of choices.

The color is the most important piece of the car to me on old Iron after model and make.

I don't buy cars with green in their color scheme.
gotcha chief.

I aint a "fan" of "green", but that would NOT stop me from buying a vintage car that otherwise meets my requirements. I have had many, cars AND trucks, but especially trucks. but only like the "forest greens" I admit.

IMG_1759.JPG
IMG_4093.JPG

I'd rock the creme body/green interior too. the moss green of my border patrol car? nota chance.:)
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG

A NEW, GREEN car. Never. Not my color. I have had green company cars .. but it was either the color they gave me, or use a bicylcle.

Oh, oh.

I can't wait to put up a showcase with how this one turned out. bought in 2019, TNT car black interior, console.
20190303_130058.jpg

20181114_181215.jpg

This one is still languishing. Bought it in 2019 too, but its back in the warehouse collecting dust (pandemic schedule casualty). I bought it BECAUSE it was "green", and moved it a LONG way, cuz I'd never seen one.
1713982843190.png
1713982894985.png

Aside.

This '67 [Not Mine] is the "KK-1" exterior this '68 will sport again one day.

95B_big.jpg
51880076749_1283c14ee0_k.jpg

Last edited:
Back