1977 Chrysler town and Country had to go....

War Wagon2

Reaction score
Well guys sorry to report that the car I joined this group with has passed on ... In a way I was forced to do it in! Let me explain. I live in a rural municipality been out here for about 40 years, I built a shop for all my stuff but I still had to store a few cars outside , the Chrysler was one of them. Well somebody complained about the cars in MY yard ! Next thing I get a visit from the Bylaw enforcement officer who officially notifies me that my stuff has to be removed from my yard! In his defense he was shooting somebody else's bullets as he personally felt that I had gone out of my way to keep my stuff very neat and tidy, but the bottom line was I still had more cars than the local bylaw allowed. So I went at it and stripped the cars prior to sending the shells to a local wrecking yard. (He doesn't crush Mopars so the shells are still around) . But then I got to the Chrysler ...this was so so hard to do,trust me when I say this ....it was not easy!
With some coaxing from my better half I got started....I knew the car was rusty and it had been schmoosed over numerous times being a fully winter driven car but once I saw how much rust there really was I made the decision to strip the car....I just didn't "strip" it I disassembled it systematically as my thinking was and is to use the optional equipment and anything else that fits on another car. I've included some pics..... The entire process was nothing but stress ..... Oh and the other car will be a 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury Suburban (you can see it behind the remains of the Chrysler)

chrysler1b.JPGchrysler2.JPGchrysler3.JPGchrysler4.JPGchrysler5.JPGchrysler6.JPG I'll add another post to show you guys that car.....

Neighbors need to mind their own business.
Sorry you had to do what you did.
Maybe some members are interested in parts.

The infuriating part of all of this is that you can't face who ever it was that had a hair up their derriere about the cars!!!
In as far as parts I'll have to post in the parts section as all Chrysler specific parts are available!

Ah yes, code enforcement, very familiar with them, here you have to have the vehicle parked on a sweepable surface, not grass, not dirt, not even gravel, has to be either blacktop or concrete, and it has to be operational, tagged and insured
That's why When I got the Duster I had to get rid of the Monaco, when I got the Imperial, bye bye Duster ( I think you're allowed two)
the only reason they got wind of me was because the stupid lady next door had a wrecked no tagged car sitting in plain view for about a year, and when he was red stickering hers, he noticed mine
Years ago they got onto my mom about her garage needed painting, I went down to code enforcement and asked if there were only certain colors I could use, or a limit on number of colors, they said no. I was going to paint one board blue, one yellow, one green, one purple, and so on, but mom pleaded for me not to, so i vinyl sided it instead, and since it was a fresh clean blank canvas, guess what happened? You guessed it, it got graffitied and guess who was there telling her she had to remove it?
That's why you couldn't give me a house with an HOA, thanks but no thanks, ill cut my own grass, and shovel my own snow.......... And plant whatever kind of plants I choose, and paint my house the color I like........ Land of the free my a$$

Ok, old man rant over, back to shaking my fist at the squirrels

Sorry to hear of your situation. At least some of the Chrysler will help other Mopars to have a better and longer life, which is good.

ONE of the bad things about "expanding civilization" is that new people come in who have a different set of orientations than those who have been there all of the time, it seems. And they want their residence to not be devalued by something that has already been there for years, but nobody complained about . . . until them. Kind of like when residential development encircled the old Green Valley Drag Strip ( storied NHRA track from the 1960s, when it was surrounded by agricultural lands and such). Then the new neighbors complained about the racing on weekends and certain nights during the week. Guess they didn't know where they were?

Best of luck,
CBODY67

It happened in Manitoba 25 miles outside of Winnipeg. In as far as 57fury440's question goes, the Bylaw reads only two unlicensed vehicles per yard. I got to hold on to 2 and with some negotiation my son was able to maintain his storage of his two cars with a caveat that no more vehicles enter my yard. I was told by a member of the Provincial Association of Car Clubs that this type of thing is becoming an epidemic with a majority of the RM's. As the prices of houses in Winnipeg go up a great number of "City Folk" head for the small rural communities with the low taxes and lots of building space....

Sometime read some stories about " malicious compliance" they can be extremely satisfying during times like these

Many code compliance issues have their base in public health and safety issues, by observation. Whether it be providing "homes" for undesirable creatures, the seepaage of the vehicles' bodily fluids into groundwater (from moisture run-off via surface locations or into the ground itself), OR the ability of "first responders" to quickly and effectively do their jobs, when needed. Many orientations not readily apparent, sometimes. Not to forget about the possibility of the appearance of an unlicensed salvage yard operation in inappropriate locations.

In TX, for example, there are state statutes on these things which can also serve as the minimum-spec for local ordinances. The issue of "concealment" is also in the mix (taller fences, "fast growing foliage", car covers, etc.), too. Although some locales also include the ability of being able to walk around/through the storage area, too.

In many TX cities, the code ordinances ALSO mention "flat tires" on parked vehicles, even if they are in your driveway. That "flat tire" is a key to the vehicle not being operational and which can't be quickly moved for a first responder to do their job saving your property, if needed. On a public parking lot, it can mean "abandoned", too.

Rather than learn of these things when a municipal official comes to call, it is recommended that you go to the municipality and request to see (and get a copy of) any and all ordinances pertaining to vehicles on your property. It is also suggested that you "pay with cash" and (as a friend did) give them your first name and "chooses to not give last name" for the required cash receipt.

About 30 years ago, a friend was living in a city north of Dallas, TX. It was a part of town where all garages entered from a back alley. He looked out his front window one morning to see a city police operative writing a ticket on a car he had sitting in front of his house, legally, but a tire had gone flat and a neighbor had complained. He went out to talk to the officer and was told a tow truck had been called to remove the car. So my friend accepeted the ticket and waited for the tow truck to arrive. He then paid the tow truck's driver for his time and then went to get some Fix-A-Flat and get the car moved (licensed and inspected).

He then went to the municipality's office and requested copies of all ordinances pertaining to cars. When the clerk returned with the copies and stated the price, my friend paid in cash. The clerk then asked for his name for the receipt. My friend gave his first name and stopped there. When asked for his last name, he replied that he did not wish to give that, which resulted in "_____, Does not wish to give last name" on the receipt.

The ordinances mentioned "Parked on an improved surface", concealment, and such. The "improved surface" resulted in a trip to a big box home improvement store to get some concrete squares to go under the cars' tires. "Concealment" was there in the form of a solid fence around the rear arer of the house, with similar gates for access. Then he posted a sign on the outside of the gates (always closed) to the effect that any vehicles on his property were "under restoration".

The "improved surface" item can be important to keep the vehicle, with time, not "sinking" into the ground and being hard to move, should the need arise. Even some "harder surfaces" can let this happen over time (think years), by observation.

Turns out the "flat tire" vehicle had been complained about by a neighbor down the street.

Another friend in Dallas had acquired a Buick station wagon he liked. He had it parked in his garage, but the rear section was a bit too long for the door to close. He got letters from the city about the car, but he ignored them. One day he came home to find the car removed from his property. He thought it had been stolen, but found out that he should have read those letters! In THIS case, an elderly lady across the street had complained about the car. One of her issues was that during certain times of the day, the sun angle resulted in a reflection off of the car's rear bumper which reflected strongly into her living room, hindering her television viewing. So her complaint resulted in the non-licensed/non-current-inspected vehicle being removed, BUT removed only after the letters had been sent and not-replied to. His loss.

ONCE the "clock starts" on these deals, there is usually a specified time to respond to any concerns. How much "leniency" can be determined by many factors, by observation, BUT a willingness to work with the municipality officer CAN be important. In most cases, it takes a ccomplaint to trigger visits, but sometimes, it can be to "pushes to get things cleaned up" at the municipal level, too.

In this hobby, having "parts cars" around can be a part of a restoration project. So knowing the codes can be operative, too. Knowing the rules CAN be important in "playing the game".

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Our neighborhood covenant expires in 2 years. Will legally fight anyone who tries to extend.
HOA sucks!!!

HOA sucks!!!
Yes they do. I don't belong to one, but found out my town has some stupid zoning ordinances. Luckily they overlook the three vehicle per household limit, I haven't been in compliance for over two years that I've lived here. Thankfully, a lot of my neighbors aren't either. One benefit is they don't hassle anyone with collector plates.

It happened in Manitoba 25 miles outside of Winnipeg. In as far as 57fury440's question goes, the Bylaw reads only two unlicensed vehicles per yard. I got to hold on to 2 and with some negotiation my son was able to maintain his storage of his two cars with a caveat that no more vehicles enter my yard. I was told by a member of the Provincial Association of Car Clubs that this type of thing is becoming an epidemic with a majority of the RM's. As the prices of houses in Winnipeg go up a great number of "City Folk" head for the small rural communities with the low taxes and lots of building space....
I'm close to Winnipeg. Please let me know if I can help.

Yes the collector plates do give you an advantage, after my run in with code enforcement, I used to buy regular plates each year, after that I bought historical plates for everything that was eligible, now I don't have to buy another set of plates for 30 years, and they do tend to look the other way if a car has historical plates on it
The rule used to be you could only drive to and from car shows and mechanic shops, now you can't drive further than 200 miles from home
I even have a spare plate sitting on the shelf just in case something comes along I can't pass up

Yes they do. I don't belong to one, but found out my town has some stupid zoning ordinances. Luckily they overlook the three vehicle per household limit, I haven't been in compliance for over two years that I've lived here. Thankfully, a lot of my neighbors aren't either. One benefit is they don't hassle anyone with collector plates.
I have a lot of trees in front of my house, so it's hard for nosy assholes to see.
I also have historical plates. 2 of my 3 c-bodies are usually in the garage too.

All the crime waves happening all over the country.
All the unanswered 911 calls,looting,graffiti,crime etc.????
There is still personnel to watch over and persecute guys that have a few collector cars!

Some very weird laws and very nosy neighbours. We had/have (?) a rule about cars parked out on the street. Many years ago, an old man next door complained about one of our registered cars being left out on the road (we had no room in the driveway/shed), so a cop came out and cautioned my father and told him he'd be fined if the car was not moved. My old man proceeded to move cars around, one in the driveway out onto the street, the one out into the driveway, cop just got in his car and left. Stupid old man next door gave up after a few days.

Back