For Sale 1977 Newport Coupe in Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Dobalovr will be all over this. He needs more cars, and it's already registered here.
I really hope one of you Alberta boys checks this one out... just to satisfy my curiosity.

I wonder if Dobalovr will be all over this. He needs more cars, and it's already registered here.
Hey just because I have a 17 bay garage and 3.5 acres of parking space doesn't mean I buy everything......now where is the damn bid button on that site

There is NO sniping on BaT - it's impossible to do! If you bid at the last second, your bid automatically extends the time available for others to bid. If you are the high bid and no one else has bid in that extended time, the car is yours. The seller CAN refuse your bid! True, there is no reserve, but the seller can say "hey, that's not enough money!" and keep the car, or make arrangements with the high bidder to up the bid to a point where the car sells. It costs the BIDDER to bid, too, and the non-winning bidders get their money back from BaT. This keeps the riff-raff out of the process. Your bid IS the high bid; meaning if I were to open the bidding at $1,000 on a vehicle, that is the start point. If I were bidding against someone and they had a grand bid in, and I upped that to $3,000, that is the new high. It doesn't go up in increments like with ebay. It's a pretty good way to do a car auction, IMO.

The "bid button" doesn't exist. You have to register as a bidder and give your credit card info, then go from that point. You can bid then.

You certainly have a much more discerning audience.
Unfortunately, it's well thought out process will attract more and more sellers and you end up with Lakeland Lash flooding the auctions all ending with no sale.

There is NO sniping on BaT - it's impossible to do! If you bid at the last second, your bid automatically extends the time available for others to bid. If you are the high bid and no one else has bid in that extended time, the car is yours. The seller CAN refuse your bid! True, there is no reserve, but the seller can say "hey, that's not enough money!" and keep the car, or make arrangements with the high bidder to up the bid to a point where the car sells. It costs the BIDDER to bid, too, and the non-winning bidders get their money back from BaT. This keeps the riff-raff out of the process. Your bid IS the high bid; meaning if I were to open the bidding at $1,000 on a vehicle, that is the start point. If I were bidding against someone and they had a grand bid in, and I upped that to $3,000, that is the new high. It doesn't go up in increments like with ebay. It's a pretty good way to do a car auction, IMO.

The "bid button" doesn't exist. You have to register as a bidder and give your credit card info, then go from that point. You can bid then.

I really like that... when I become a flipper, I will keep this in mind.
You certainly have a much more discerning audience.
Unfortunately, it's well thought out process will attract more and more sellers and you end up with Lakeland Lash flooding the auctions all ending with no sale.
At least it will cost him $250 every time he tries... I think that would be a deterrent.

Hi folks! I'm the seller of the 77 Newport Patrick66 posted on this site. If you go to the site you will get more info but in reading your posts on this site I wish I had known about it before I listed the car. It as just as nice as presented and no cantflip, there are no "nasties hidden from the camera"; what you see is what you get, including the incredibly clean underside. This car has been driven very little over the years but has been babied all its life. It is an absolute pleasure to drive and has only minor stone chips consistent with the mileage (78k kms.). The car has mainly been driven to shows over the past few years in BC, Alberta and the US Northwest. I'm located 60 kms. north of the Montana border and I just had a nice drive to Waterton and Glacier Park in it yesterday. When I saw the car was for sale I just had to buy it but my wife is less enthused about is because it fills the garage and she is quite annoyed I just bought the TVR so something has got to go and the Newport is it just because of the fact I can fit 2 of my smaller vehicles in the garage with it not there. If it does not sell (there is a low reserve) I will likely keep it for the show and shines this season but can't see myself putting too many miles on it just because of the number of other cars I have. Any inquiries from interested parties will be answered. I look forward to getting more info on these cars as I have my sites on another older c-body coupe that a friend owns and has indicated he might sell to me later in the year after I've thinned the herd a bit (and avoided a potential divorce...yikes!). Cheers!
6.JPG

Last edited:
Hi folks! I'm the seller of the 77 Newport Patrick66 posted on this site. If you go to the site you will get more info but in reading your posts on this site I wish I had known about it before I listed the car. It as just as nice as presented and no cantflip, there are no "nasties hidden from the camera"; what you see is what you get, including the incredibly clean underside. This car has been driven very little over the years but has been babied all its life. It is an absolute pleasure to drive and has only minor stone chips consistent with the mileage (78k kms.). The car has mainly been driven to shows over the past few years in BC, Alberta and the US Northwest. I'm located 60 kms. north of the Montana border and I just had a nice drive to Waterton and Glacier Park in it yesterday. When I saw the car was for sale I just had to buy it but my wife is less enthused about is because it fills the garage and she is quite annoyed I just bought the TVR so something has got to go and the Newport is it just because of the fact I can fit 2 of my smaller vehicles in the garage with it not there. If it does not sell (there is a low reserve) I will likely keep it for the show and shines this season but can't see myself putting too many miles on it just because of the number of other cars I have. Any inquiries from interested parties will be answered. I look forward to getting more info on these cars as I hve my sites in another older c-body that a friend owns and has indicated he might sell to me later in the year after I've thinned the herd a bit. Cheers!View attachment 74030

Welcome aboard from a fellow Albertan. Your car has caused quite a stir here. As my good friend from Carstairs mentioned I might be interested. You can send me a PM if you would like to discuss it further. Goto conversations and look me up!

Hi folks! I'm the seller of the 77 Newport Patrick66 posted on this site. If you go to the site you will get more info but in reading your posts on this site I wish I had known about it before I listed the car. It as just as nice as presented and no cantflip, there are no "nasties hidden from the camera"; what you see is what you get, including the incredibly clean underside. This car has been driven very little over the years but has been babied all its life. It is an absolute pleasure to drive and has only minor stone chips consistent with the mileage (78k kms.). The car has mainly been driven to shows over the past few years in BC, Alberta and the US Northwest. I'm located 60 kms. north of the Montana border and I just had a nice drive to Waterton and Glacier Park in it yesterday. When I saw the car was for sale I just had to buy it but my wife is less enthused about is because it fills the garage and she is quite annoyed I just bought the TVR so something has got to go and the Newport is it just because of the fact I can fit 2 of my smaller vehicles in the garage with it not there. If it does not sell (there is a low reserve) I will likely keep it for the show and shines this season but can't see myself putting too many miles on it just because of the number of other cars I have. Any inquiries from interested parties will be answered. I look forward to getting more info on these cars as I have my sites on another older c-body coupe that a friend owns and has indicated he might sell to me later in the year after I've thinned the herd a bit (and avoided a potential divorce...yikes!). Cheers!View attachment 74030

No hidden nasties... I am impressed. We love your car, and welcome you to stick around even if she sells... careful, you might have caught the C-body bug already. Your car is so clean... I was thinking back to my dealer days, the less honest the dealer, the better their detail department seemed to be. Thanks for checking in here with us... I hope she finds a good home. Dobalovr apparently has space to fill... pure jealousy on my part there...

I like this car, a lot! It's so close to being the '77 Dodge Royal Monaco Brougham that I crave...honestly, were this a triple black car, I'd be figuring out ways to acquire it.

It's a nice car for sure but guys how do we know if he has a reasonable price on it or not. I'm not sure I like the BAT format. Bidding is only up to $2000 right now but he won't sell it for that I'm sure. At least on e-bay if it has a reserve and is met you know the car will sell. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not going to get excited until I at least think I can buy it for a fair price.

BaT has a pretty good success rate with their auctions. The sellers and buyers alike seem to like it, and BaT makes their money that way. What I like is you bid what you are willing to pay right off. So, if you bid $4,000, the bid goes directly to that point. Someone else bids $5K, it's now $5K. If you are willing to go higher, you bid that amount. You don't see that in an ebay auction. Plus, if you bid at the end of the auction with BaT, it extends the auction three more minutes - none of that childish sniping. The seller is invested for $250, period. The buyers have to put $300 on their credit card until the end of the auction. If they are successful, they pay 5% of the purchase price up to a max price. If they are not successful, they get the $300 hold on the credit card released - no sweat!

I'd buy or sell on BaT anytime. In fact, I'm considering putting the Imperial on that in the near future, once I get a couple of little things finished on it.

Sounds like a better deal for the seller than the buyer. I enter a maximum bid of say $5000 on a car and wind up getting it for $2500 on e-bay if the bidding is slow but on BAT sounds like I pay $5000. Don't see where that benefits me.

Sounds like a better deal for the seller than the buyer. I enter a maximum bid of say $5000 on a car and wind up getting it for $2500 on e-bay if the bidding is slow but on BAT sounds like I pay $5000. Don't see where that benefits me.

You are bidding the max you are willing to go each time. You bid to win, not bid to see where the reserve is. You do this to a point at ANY auto auction you go to! Do you know the reserve there? No, of course not. You are still bidding to own the car, in either case. You want to start low like in this auction, you certainly can do that. Or, just bid what you feel the car is worth and see where it goes from there. Either way, if you are NOT the winning bidder, it costs you nothing. If you are the winning bidder, you know the rules and fess up the 5% winner fee (B-J is 10% buyer/10% seller!). If you are the seller, it costs you $250, period. There is no "testing the waters" and withdrawing a vehicle from bidding if the seller's feelings are hurt because he over-values the vehicle, so that $250 ensures a dedicated seller. And no sniping! All I feel are a far better deal than the ebay nonsense. Far better!

Let the auction go until a couple of hours to the end, then get on it and outbid your competition incrementally until you are out of funds or you win. It turns it into a real auction, instead of auto-bids and then going to check if you won. I think this process makes it just a little inconvenient for those who really aren't "all in" for an item.

I do like auto bids at times I'm at work and cant be there to the end... who am I kidding... 99% of the time, if I really want it, I just hit "buy it now".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back