1977 Newport trunk rattle? Help!

Pclancy

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

My Newport has recently developed a rattle which I believe to be coming from the trunk. (I have checked all the mechanicals). It is a metal on metal rattle, not super loud but loud enough to be annoying. It happens when the car goes over bumps and small road imperfections. On smooth road, no noise. I ask your kind help in thinking this through. Here are my possible theories-- all based on the trunk lid and/or hinges:

First, the trunk skin (on the outside in the middle parts) seems to be disconnected from anything. You press down, there is a very small but noticeable void and then you hit a frame or cross bar (or something). Toward the edges, on the trailing edge and along the fenders, it is tight--no movement of the outside skin. Just the soft spots in the middle of the rear trunk lid, on either side of the little crease down the middle.

Was there supposed to be something inside which filled things out? Is this the source of the rattle--the outside skin banging against an inner frame or x-bar?

I have seen little black pieces of something on the trunk floor. See the photo below. They are not metal but resemble dried out----undercoating or insulation? I do not think they are parts of the cardboard trunk trim. Is there a connection with my first theory above? They could have dropped from any number of holes (hinge and light holes, for example)

If you look at the photo of the inside trunk lid, you will see a rubber/plastic port on the left side. It comes off, and there is a hole. Did Chrysler put this in, or did some PO drill it? For undercoating?

I also show a picture of the trunk hinge. This seems to be a potential rattle spot. The hinges work well but they do not seem super tight in their sockets. The picture alas does not show it well.

If you want to know all about the car, search for 77 Newport in BAT. I bought that car.

The car is absolutely rust free.

Sorry to bother you about this, but the thought occurred to me that I might not be the first guy to have this issue?

Thanks

IMAG0407.jpg
IMAG0408.jpg
IMAG0409.jpg

I had a rattle coming from the trunk in my 76 that took me forever to find.
Turned out that the top mount bushing of one of the rear shocks failed.

PicsArt_06-27-09.37.41.jpg

Last edited:
All very good points to check. Chrysler did put insulation on the trunk hinge torque rods, look to see if yours feel off. Also they did use insulation to fill the gaps between the frame and metal. I would see if I could get one of my pals to take a ride in the trunk with a flashlight to see if you could find the rattle that way.

My leaf spring clamps broke, and were rattling away in the same manner. Another thing to check.

Chrysler did put insulation on the trunk hinge torque rods,
Thanks for reminding about that.

Yes. There should be a pc. of rubber hose on one of the rods where it comes in contact and crosses over the rod from the other side. Another metal-to-metal contact spot. Temporarily stuff a rag tween the two at the crossover point to test for that.

If your car has skirts, make sure they're on tight. They'll rattle too.

And yes. It took trips in the trunk to find these...

And, of course, you already triple checked the spare and jack components, yes?

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the excellent advice and pictures. The Newport is in the hospital now, and her Doctors have been given all these tips. I will revert back with the findings, and hopefully, with news about what was wrong and fixed. This forum is great. Makes owning a Formal much easier. Thank you again.

Easiest tool for a one man operation... should cost around $60, don't buy the wireless kit... the clamps are harder to get to stay put and the cost is more.
JSP06600.jpg

I have too many "friends" who would be happy to leave me in the trunk.

As the fresh, inexperienced, new kid in the Service Dept. I (justifiably) got the **** paying nuisance jobs. A lot of my jobs simply said, "customer complains of squeak" on the ticket with all the other higher paying jobs on the ticket signed off by the other mechanics.
Being the diligent, conscientious, novice, mechanic (no "techs" in those days) trying to solve all of the world's automotive problems, I would waste a ton of time on these jobs.
One day, the service manager (when managers rose up from the ranks) got frustrated watching me poke around like a blind man and came over and snapped, "this is how it's down" and then went on to saturate the entire undercarriage in a shower of ATF.
Dropped the car, bounced it up and down, squeek dissappears. :wideyed:
Another one of life's questions was answered that day to the clueless kid.
And it had nothing to do with cars. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
As the fresh, inexperienced, new kid in the Service Dept. I (justifiably) got the **** paying nuisance jobs. A lot of my jobs simply said, "customer complains of squeak" on the ticket with all the other higher paying jobs on the ticket signed off by the other mechanics.
Being the diligent, conscience, novice mechanic (no "techs" in those days) trying to solve all of the world's automotive problems, I would waste a ton of time on these jobs.
One day, the service manager (when managers rose up from the ranks) got frustrated watching me poke around like a blind man and came over and snapped, "this is how it's down" and then went on to saturate the entire undercarriage in a shower of ATF.
Yes I remember those days well.

Being the diligent, conscience, novice mechanic (no "techs" in those days) trying to solve all of the world's automotive problems, I would waste a ton of time on these jobs.
I can only imagine the words that would come out of your mouth now if someone sprayed the bottom of your car with ATF.:mad:

I can only imagine the words that would come out of your mouth now if someone sprayed the bottom of your car with ATF.:mad:
Full disclosure:
Until I swapped out the leaf springs in the NYB because of squeaky bushings, that's exactly what I was doing. :p
When the applications got down to weekly, I decided it was time. lol

Just because we use a different less messy product doesn't mean the same thing isn't done to get the car out the door. We had a TSB on one model about using anti-sneeze on sway bar bushings to solve a new model complaints... if it works, and stays working... do it.

="commando1, post: 370722, member: 408"]Thanks for reminding about that.

Yes. There should be a pc. of rubber hose on one of the rods where it comes in contact and crosses over the rod from the other side. Another metal-to-metal contact spot. Temporarily stuff a rag tween the two at the crossover point to test for that.

If your car has skirts, make sure they're on tight. They'll rattle too.

And yes. It took trips in the trunk to find these...

And, of course, you already triple checked the spare and jack components, yes?[/QUOTE]

Check the thermostat...
:rofl: Right Stan? Lol

To all who contributed comments: it was the left rear shock. Stupidly, I had eliminated this as a possibility as the shocks are relatively new. Two new kyb gas shocks are now installed. On to the next issue, and thanks everyone for the great advice.

Back