NOT MINE 1978 Chrysler New Yorker Sedan 4D $7,000

67newport

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
not mine

110_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=wLv3wSFiVpAAX9pr0XR&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

069_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=yFiRa8BTcCAAX_OE9e_&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

141_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=9qWoTEu-A50AX-OfJIJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

054_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=U_Isb3lMnRwAX9eddtK&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

694_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=YFCSdl0tw6gAX8Ms-jU&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

757_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=tDJ-6pkvm4YAX_aP41J&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.jpg

There’s been quite a few Dove gray New Yorkers has for sale in the past week or so, there were 3 on eBay alone.

I went to the facebook add and the photos aren't any clearer. Really tough to tell.

I'll give it a 75% chance that it's not a Salon.

Jeff

hard to say if its a Salon for sure, to me its lacking some of the oomph that a Salon has - the paint doesnt have the glow that the Salon RA3 silver crystal clear coat paint has, the vinyl top looks like regular silver/gray , not the brighter metallic silver padded smooth Elk grain a Salon would have, no bright red lower body striping, doesnt look like it has the "aluminum fascia basket" road wheels , does seem to have a leather wrapped steering wheel which was standard on a Salon but optional on other NYBs.
if it has the smaller rear window then its a Salon, the A71 code for the Salon wont be on the body tag, but the RA3 paint code will be, no other mopar had clear coat paint in 78.
my Salon didnt leave ASC until july, they'd run out of the the silver elk grain vinyl so it has an unknown sourced dove gray non padded vinyl top

20190604_164815.jpg

The leather wrapped wheel was what had me thinking it might be a Salon, but if it was an option on lesser cars, then it's most likely just a standard New Yorker.

Jeff

Was never an option.

Was never an option on lessor cars. Mopar did have a gray, red, and blue leather wrapped steering wheels that would fit a Formal T&T columns and was used on Daytona Chargers and maybe a few other models.

Oh yeah..... and my one of none blue leather wrapped steering wheel. I had to cut a 1/2" off the acrylic hub with a lathe to get the steering wheel on my NYB.

DSC01967 (1).JPG

It's also possible that the wheel was wrapped by the same place that did the driver seat.

n-jpg-_nc_cat-103-ccb-1-5-_nc_sid-843cd7-_nc_ohc-u_isb3lmnrwax9eddtk-_nc_ht-scontent-fagc1-1-jpg.jpg

Jeff

oddly enough the leather wrapped wheel was an option for the 78 Lebaron and Cordoba, option code S81. while its not listed as a C body option, i did have a non Salon 78 NYB with gray interior that had a leather wrapped wheel.

As with other things Chrysler, there doesn't seem to be any absolutes to what you could get and what you couldn't.

Another steering wheel inconsistency that I've noticed is that some of the non-tilt cars have the woodgrain insert around the circumference of the wheel and others do not.

Jeff

If a non-Salon car has a padded steering wheel and it's on the build sheet, it would be one of one.
Statistically, I'm going with it being a Salon.

Back