1978 New Yorker St Regis Coupe all done

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
I purchased this car about eight years ago. It was originally my friend's car new and he died in 1990. I was going through my divorce and could not buy anything and I lost contact with the new owner. The car was listed for sale on craigslist about 15 years later and purchased it. Well, it took some time to fix all the bugs with my car. Last year it was the front brake rotors, pads, and rubber hoses etc. Left to do was the evaporator which was not available until I found they were being made again last year. I then needed to find a capable mechanic that charged reasonable rates. Upon vacuuming the A/C we found the dryer was plugged. Surprising O'Reilly had a new one for $38 shipped to the store still in the 1978 box. Some difficulties were found with the Auto-Temp II like where all of the vacuum lines go so my factory service manual did not help. Luckily "Chiltons" did offer one and a seller had the pages needed for $22 shipped. Then the radio did not work until we found the power antenna needed to be plugged into the relay near the passenger side knee area. Today I took the car out to a local car show and won a $25 gift card. The ole girl will be put back in storage Monday and will be bought out next year. Here are a few pictures from the show. I expect the evap. ($330), dryer ($38) and labor of $600, but she was worth it.

DSCN0177.JPG

DSCN0178.JPG

DSCN0179.JPG

DSCN0180.JPG

Beautiful New Yorker. May I ask why into storage so soon? The season is only half way through.
I was able to drop my girls off for Xmas shopping at the downtown shops last year. I had a long drive season.

Beautiful New Yorker. May I ask why into storage so soon? The season is only half way through.
I was able to drop my girls off for Xmas shopping at the downtown shops last year. I had a long drive season.
street construction plus after that new driveway plus other cars need exercise

Great job on a beautiful car! I think your A/C service was reasonably priced. I love the color and the body color accent on the road wheels. Power moonroof too! Very nice!

Beautiful car. If you have not gotten the side rear windows working, remember all the parts are there from the factory under the door panels and vinyl roof. I think you just need a 4 gang driver door control to make them work. My friend bought a white 78 St REgis and got is working as intended if the car was not a St Regis You will be the first one on your block with rear windows that go up and down. LOL!! Good luck.

Beautiful car. If you have not gotten the side rear windows working, remember all the parts are there from the factory under the door panels and vinyl roof. I think you just need a 4 gang driver door control to make them work. My friend bought a white 78 St REgis and got is working as intended if the car was not a St Regis You will be the first one on your block with rear windows that go up and down. LOL!! Good luck.
Yes, I discovered the rear window when taking the stainless molding off for rust repair about plus years ago. the crank gear is exposed when removing the rear side panels. I did port that information here also back then.

My friend had a fleet of Chrysler Formals.
One St. Regis he stripped actually had the the motors in it. Not wired, of course.

Evaporators are not hard to find. Usually not in stock at the store but readily available from the big boy box stores.
About six years ago when the mechanic diagnosed the problem I checked every source I could think of and no one had one. I also went to the radiator repair place that has been in business for almost 100 years and they could not find one also. So, when I saw they were being reproduced again last year, it was time to pull the trigger.

Can one of you post a link for the evaporator? I just looked for 73 and did not find on trusted sites.

Back