NOT MINE 1981 Chrysler Imperial $10,000

You had a couple of great cars! I love those little monsters and they ran well/quick and the cars themselves handled really well and looked great. Do you still have those cars then?

I was working for Chrysler in 1981 when those Imperials first came out. I was at an emission test facility developing emission control systems at that time and when we received the first of those Imperials, we knew real quick this was never going to work.....

If a vacuum hose fell off or the air cleaner lid had a leak of any kind around the seals, they would not run. The electronic components also were not robust so the cars just were not reliable in normal use. After about a month of experience with a few of the early production models, we raised the red flag with management and they started working on the retrofit kit and really found out just how much of a huge mess they had on their hands. i believe there was even a "Frank Sinatra" edition and he got really pissed when the cars named after him and he helped market to all his friends ended up being a disaster.

Good times - not!.......................but they were nice cars to drive when they were working well even if they were underpowered with their 318s. I still love their styling.......................

I came across a 'Blue Eyes' Edition recently...

The "Chairman" of the Malaise Era!

IMG_1684.JPEG
IMG_1808.JPEG

I have read a few times the conversion isn't an easy one either.
Definitely more than a carb/intake swap-out, as a lot of people out there might think. The factory recall conversion package also included a new fuel tank and pump, fuel lines, a handful of electronics, new computer, intake manifold, carb, linkages, distributor, and several other bits. Each conversion cost Chrysler a LOT of money. I understand that the parts alone were right at $2,300 in 1981 dollars, plus the labor. Of course, someone will chime in that is far more familiar with all that.

I worked on one that "appeared" to have the whole chrysler retrofit.. but I don't believe the intake was changed. It was interesting to see.
20230226_153738.jpg

There is a beautiful '83 for sale locally, but the owner is a bit of an *******. Known the guy for 40+ years. Sure would like to have his Imperial, though.

Back