1990 W150 TBI Ignition Cut Off

If you do not have to pass emissions, I would ditch that system. It is a pressure carburetor. Has very narrow adjustment range. Lots of those old electronics are just going to run out of parts, like the lean burn systems have gone through. IMO I would just make the commitment to change back to carburetor and normal distributor.
Even if you solve your issue with something simple, relay, broken wire, bad ground. How long till a sensor causes a problem, is it available? Did a sensor cause a relay or wire problem? I hate to say bail on the system, but everything earlier than 1996 OBD2 changeover is going obsolete. We are less than 4 models years from 30 years on the OBD2 format. All the OBD2 is multi-port leaving the throttle body setups even further behind, and not really compatible at all.
That engine is a very good piece. Has the swirl/fast burn heads and a factory hydraulic roller. The worst part of performance on that engine is the electronic fuel and ignition castrating it for emissions and fuel compliance.
My 2 cents
Agree!!!
Electronics have gotten less and less reliable over the past 3 years. It's only going to get worse.

Agree!!!
Electronics have gotten less and less reliable over the past 3 years. It's only going to get worse.
I would even look at options on the ignition. Me personally I would put it on points. Second choice would be to put a GM module under the distributor. Reason being, the Chrysler ECU boxes are getting harder to find, and the replacements are a quality that is along side the 30 yo electronics your having issues with now. Not saying the GM modules are better, but there are more sources making/supplying them and most likely the chain parts stores will have one in stock. Not a fan of aftermarket conversions (petronix), availability? Also with them you are sticking the electronic box inside a terrible environment, ozone, heat, high voltage sparks. There is a reason Chrysler put their box on the fender apron. Yes it will run for quite a while in the dizzy, until it doesn't

I would even look at options on the ignition. Me personally I would put it on points. Second choice would be to put a GM module under the distributor. Reason being, the Chrysler ECU boxes are getting harder to find, and the replacements are a quality that is along side the 30 yo electronics your having issues with now. Not saying the GM modules are better, but there are more sources making/supplying them and most likely the chain parts stores will have one in stock. Not a fan of aftermarket conversions (petronix), availability? Also with them you are sticking the electronic box inside a terrible environment, ozone, heat, high voltage sparks. There is a reason Chrysler put their box on the fender apron. Yes it will run for quite a while in the dizzy, until it doesn't
Agree. It has computer controlled timing. The 3-wire hall effect distributor is not going to work without being hooked up to a computer. Without all the other data inputs, I don't think it can run right with it's current SBEC. Also, hall effect distributor and wiring may leave something in place that is making it shut off spontaneously now.

Back