2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 Magnum Gas Engine (360) Need more power

FURYGT

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4 x 2 is a great truck with 20" wheels and a factory towing package and only has 87,000 miles on her.

We recently bought a 29' Travel Trailer/Camper that weighs close to 7000 lbs when loaded up for a trip. That weight is within the towing specs for this truck.

The truck has a Gibson cat back exhaust system and a free flow air filter in the factory air cleaner box.

Looking for reasonable cost options to get some additional power for towing. The towing package has 3.91 gears. Not looking to swap in a hemi or change the cam etc. Just wondering if anyone who is familar with the 5.9 Magnum engine has any experience with some performance upgrades that don't break the bank. I prefer not do go with an open air cleaner element as sometimes I am in dusty areas.

Thanks in advance.

5.9 magnum responds very well to custom tune. I understood that you can get lots of more torque with updated tune. Not sure which companies still offer tunes to older magnums. I am planning on getting hptuner software as I am swapping -97 5.9 magnum to -84 Ramcharger

Seems like there are some "beer barrel" manifold changes that will help power by decreasing internal turbulence? I saw an article somewhere on that recently, with pictures and dyno runs.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

We put an MP computer on one many years ago, required premium fuel but seemed to pep it up.
But the real answer is a supercharger and piggyback rising rate fuel regulator.

Get a hold of Marty Fletcher in Utah, he has come up with tons of things for the magnum trucks, both he and his wife daily drive done up 5.9 Magnum rams.

He has some parts available and does custom tunes.

I find mine pulls fine in the 5-6k lbs range, but when I get it loaded up in the 7k range it does have to work harder. Mind you, mine has 3.55's

Go with the Hushes engine upgrades. I put their intake kit, and shorty headers on the 2000 ram 1500 I used to own. Man did that truck move after that.

Superchips helped my 4.7 with towing. I’m guessing 5.9 would be the same.

Back