25 Foot Paint Job

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My youngest son has an '88 Ford F-150. When he shows up in it, the theme from Sanford and Son starts playing. He's had a run of bad luck and his older brother and I decided to paint his truck while he was out of town. Nothing fancy... just make it one color and look OK driving down the road.

Tractor Supply had Rustoleum "Farm and Implement" paint on sale. $30 per gallon. I chose "International Harvester red. Sprayed with a Harbor Freight gun after a quick scuff with scotch-brite. Took us 4 hours start to finish.

He doesn't know we did this and won't until he's back in town on Thursday.

UBplnFy.jpg

NsY8OMA.jpg

AgDVv0g.jpg

Sj3NNgJ.jpg

4GFQnZx.jpg

yoECDtg.jpg

ov05mB9.jpg

TLltj4c.jpg

Unbenannt.png

This should qualify you already for a Job at Maaco or Earl Scheib. ;)

Is he going to be alright with red?
The truck was originally a dark red and that's what I wanted to get so it would at least come close on the door jambs. This was the darkest red they had and the price was right. It's not even close on the jambs though...

I think he'll be fine with it. It looks a bunch better and he's had red cars before.

View attachment 138061
This should qualify you already for a Job at Maaco or Earl Scheib. ;)

I had a car painted at Earl Scheib Back about 1969, $29.95 "Any Car, Any Color". That included painting the chrome trim, turn signal lenses and the sidewalls of the tires. This job is too neat to one of theirs! As a side note, the paint started peeling about a month after they painted it.

Dave

Jeezes, John. He better damn well be fine with it. I can't even remotely imagine my father doing something like that for me.
You're a great dad!
I can't take all the credit. His brother did a lot of the work.

My dad helped me out a lot over the years so I had a pretty good example to follow... AND... I got some great kids!

Looks great! Can't beat that for 4 hours of time, and a few bucks. Much better then before.

I'd be ecstatic if I came home to that!

Looks like you did a great color match to the BIG RIG !!! :thumbsup:

upload_2017-8-13_23-20-23.jpeg

Now that big rig ain't a 25 footer that's for damn sure .. :rofl:

That's my step-son's. He actually lives down the hill from us, but he can't park the truck there. When he comes home for the weekend, he parks at our place and gets a ride home.

We thought of that when I opened the can!.

But... When I bought my car trailer, the builder told me it was "International" red. I never gave it too much though. I figured it was a generic red....but a fender got scrapped and needs to be painted.... Now I know he meant "International Harvester" red and now I have the paint to match that up!.

Hey all in all it's a great low budget paint job that will be just fine for that ford... never mind the great father & son project ........:thumbsup:

Back