2dr pursuit car

Furyman2017

Reaction score
Was just wondering if there was ever any 2 door pursuit cars ever built and used by any state in the union can't find any info even looked at allpar police car history and nothing mentioned thanks

Was just wondering if there was ever any 2 door pursuit cars ever built and used by any state in the union can't find any info even looked at allpar police car history and nothing mentioned thanks
Minnesota did up to 1965, including 59, 60, 61 and 65 plymouths. See marooncruisers.com
I had a 70 Fury 2 door pursuit car that was ex Kansas State Patrol. I sold it 4 or 5 years ago.

9810601_orig.jpg

I used to have a 68 Fury 1, 2dr sedan, Nebraska State Patrol car and a 62 Plymouth 2dr sedan, Michigan State Police car.

Oregon ran 2dr sedans as late as 1968. If you Google: Oregon State Police Evolution of the OSP Patrol vehicle-Oregon.gov it will take you to a picture gallery of vintage Oregon Police cars. The 68 Fury 2dr is in gallery 2.

Dave

Last edited:
The Rhode Island State Police used 2 door Furys. Many years ago I parted out a beyond repair '72 Fury II 2-door hardtop former Rhode Island state police car. Walnut Metallic brown with a black vinyl top, a black bucket seat interior with plain buckets and no console or buddy seat. A/C cut off switch, Lecce Neville alternator and electric trunk release. The bucket seats had plain, flat black vinyl inserts in the center of the seats. If you search the interior section of the '72 parts book under seat covers you will find a listing for Rhode Island State Policy bucket seat covers. For those that cringe at my parting this car, it was hit once and when I had it the nose had been replaced by one off a Gran Coupe/Sedan and it was mostly in primer and very rotted. The front sub-frame was removed by moderately hammering the floor pan area where the sub-frame bolted on until the sub-frame dropped down away from the body. I still have the door panels and drive-train from this car.

IMG_4747.JPG

1969 Fury Pursuit 2 door 440. Special Order, original VSP car, a high-pursuit unit, VSP number 333, documented.

228719 2015 left front.jpg

This one belongs to One of our Nebraska members ... Mike ..... when he gets done with it is when I'll make an offer

Charlie 080.JPG
Nebraska used both the Fury and Polara 2 dr hdtp. The Fury in 70 and maybe 71, then the Polara in 71 and possibly 72. My avatar is a 71 Polara State Patrol car, all the NE patrol cars used the HP 383's till 71, then started using the HP 440's after that, and some HP 400's in the later 70's.
When I was 16 or 17 I got stopped by a NE patrol that was driving a 70 Ford LTD 2 dr hdtp with a 429, it sounded pretty bad assed. I asked him as he was going back to his car if it had the 429-He said Sure Does!

These 2 Patrolmen were standing along a rural highway when I drove by. A couple miles down the road I decided to go back and talk to them. I pulled up and they both came over and said" we're glad you came back". We talked for 30 mins or so. They were very interested, they took pictures and some video I'm sure, as he asked me if my lights worked, then asked to turn them on, taking pictures.

I believe that was in the yard he picked up the Polara from ....Hopefully Mike will chime in here

Before I joined this site, I thought old police cars were cool. I have a different appreciation for them now, they're awesome! I also think it's awesome that the members and other owners of these cars, especially the ones who restore them, have the dedication they do, rebuilding a time capsule is quite the challenge.

Before I joined this site, I thought old police cars were cool. I have a different appreciation for them now, they're awesome! I also think it's awesome that the members and other owners of these cars, especially the ones who restore them, have the dedication they do, rebuilding a time capsule is quite the challenge.

thats my feeling. the fact that they are awesome machines, underappreciated generally, and understated, "state the art bad-asses" in their day, is what I like but ..

the bigger thing is these actual machines helped build the American way of life. With the people who drove them, underpaid, a bad day at the office means NOT coming home, etc. who are "warriors" in best sense of that word.

They are living history and I am happy a few of us know that -- and others are learning. We save them, like many other vehicles (planes, trains, boats, automobiles, whatever) that people take on and save if they can, we save our history.

I appreciate the genuine marked patrol cars as well, but generally would prefer the unmarked ones personally.

Back