318 poly to 360 LA swap

The 360 uses a weighted torque convertor as this engine is externally balanced. Transmission housing should be the same. You will need a weighted convertor for starters. I would suggest finding a donor car for stuff like the power steering and alternator brackets and the host of other small parts to get things all hooked up. The poly uses a different exhaust routing and the front pulley setups are also different. You would also want to check the radiator hose mount for the lower hose as well as it could different as well. A/C compressor mounts are also different if the car is so equipped. The motor mounts on an older poly are probably different as well. May need conversion mounts.

Dave

Last edited:
was about 30 yrs ago when i did this to a 65 fury ....iirc needed a converter out of a van cause they still used a 727 with the 360 while the cars ran the 904...believe here was some motor mount fabrication too but it was a race car so they got welded solid

Last edited:
As you have a Poly, I will assume a 66-older trans, which has a different spline count than 67-newer, which a 360 converter would require.
If you get a 360 converter, you can knock the weights off and weld onto teh flexplate or the Poly converter - just pay attention and get then in located in a similar location.
I heard the 360 had a different motormount on one side from the 318, but that some washers or spacers can solve that? IIRC.
If this is going in a 65 C-body - the driverside motormount is 1-year-only, and might require additional fiddling to moutn a 360.

Those are probably the big compatibility things - everything else is the standard connections and linkage, etc, involved with any engine swap.

Back