318 rebuild

TWS67'Fury

Reaction score
For the last month ive been doing a so called shade tree rebuild on my 318 (bearings, pistons, cam, timing set, lifters) and i was wonfering if there is some simple **** i could have missed before i get this engine back in to her resting spot for the time being. Im a novice but i do all of my work myself and have a good knowledge of engine and how to take apart and put stuff back together. I already noticed one thing i messed up that will be fixed promptly and that was, I put the rocker shafts in upsidedown. just for some further info i have put a bigger cam in and have not redone heads cause they are in decent shape, i did however rehone the cylinders and new rings with the pistons. Anywho any assistance and pictures of the engine mount would be appreciated and any other info i might have maybe missed would be awesome.

"Man is born, man lives, man dies, and its all vanity."
"Thrills" - Cake

As We Get Older We Realise Why He was Called Solomon the Wise!

One Small Point I Will Mention Only Because You Have Stated That You are a Novice.
I Once Bought a Burnt Out 68 383 at Auction.
It Had All the Hallmarks of an Insurance Job.
Couldn't Figure Our Why It was Burnt, Until I Dissasembled the Motor.
Someone Had Obviously Done a Home Reco of the Engine.
When They Assembled the Pistons & New Rings, They Had Lined Up the Ring Gaps on Every Piston.
Not Saying You've Done This But I Can Imagine Just How Disappointing (And How Smoky) That Engine Must Have Been.
You have Done the Wise Thing By Asking for Help Before Any Problems Arise.
All the Best!
Tony.M

My question would be if your pushrods and/or rockers will allow for the new height of your cam. They aren't adjustable. If the cam is too tall for the rest of the valve train, you're going to be buying more new parts. Also, a new oil pump won't hurt. They are cheap too.

Use a quality break in oil or you will wipe out the cam. Joe Gibbs Driven, Brad Penn/Penn Grade there are others also. We did a cam a month ago in a 69 Camaro with 15w40 and zinc additive, it wiped a lobe just after break in.

Back