440 dipstick tube leak

thethee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I got them all but my 440 still has an oil leak. It's coming from the base of the dipstick tube. Couldn't find it in my FSM but are these pressed to fit? If it is I suspect it has a crack at the base. Can I just pull it out or do I need to drain the oil a bit?

20210426_132203.jpg

Hi all,

I thought I got them all but my 440 still has an oil leak. It's coming from the base of the dipstick tube. Couldn't find it in my FSM but are these pressed to fit? If it is I suspect it has a crack at the base. Can I just pull it out or do I need to drain the oil a bit?

View attachment 455705

Mine pulls right out. Had to wiggle it a bit, but it slid right out. You may have to let some oil out when you put it back in with some sealant and let it cure before running it depending on your oil level.

Mine pulls right out. Had to wiggle it a bit, but it slid right out. You may have to let some oil out when you put it back in with some sealant and let it cure before running it depending on your oil level.
If you got a oil level that high in your engine... that's your problem.

The dipstick tube attaches to that top bolt on your engine mount, with a bracket that encircles the tube. It is not solely held in by a press-fit.

Best to get it out and take a look, if it had been bent and wiggled at some point over the years it could be out of shape or cracked around the little flange. Rust looks like a possibility too. Oil level should be below the pan flange so that shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure why you have an oil "leak" at that location. Only oil that should be up there would be "splash" rather than otherwise.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

As I suspected there was a crack at the base of the dipstick tube. How do I know this? Well... gently wiggling the tube popped it loose but a piece of it stayed behind in the block. Now I need to find a way to remove the piece from behind the motor mount... :BangHead:

Not sure why you have an oil "leak" at that location. Only oil that should be up there would be "splash" rather than otherwise.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Yep, no further leak after I parked the car so only from engine running. Then again, a broken off dipstick tube will do it for ya

Yeah so this sucks. The motor mount is blocking my access but the way the bottom bolt is put in the mount can only be removed if I also remove the oil pump. And even then there is little left to grab on to. I think my best bet is to drop the pan again and tap it out from underneath. Was really hoping this would've been an easy fix... Anyone have any better ideas?

Are you 100% it's leaking?

If it is, clean it up with some brake cleaner and squirt a bunch of RTV around it and see if that stops it. Sounds a little crude, but there's no pressure and any oil is just some minor splash or drip coming out. I'll bet that will contain it and might save a lot of work.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the tube broke off and the last inch of it is still in the block. That's the bit I need to get out

I am 100% sure it was leaking

You might take a thread-chaser that is smaller than the dipstick hole, but also a little smaller than the dipstick tube, and try to ease that broken part of the tube out that way.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the tube broke off and the last inch of it is still in the block. That's the bit I need to get out

I am 100% sure it was leaking
In that case, drop the pan and knock it out with a pin punch. By the time you get all done messing around, it's probably going to be the easiest way.

Yep will have to drop the pan. In the meantime will be looking for a new dipstick and tube. The old one has a lot of bends but I think the only necessary one is near the block around the engine mount

Tried something different this morning. Had some 7mm pipe laying around so I cut off a small piece of it and pressed it in between the two pieces of the dipstick tube. The dipstick still goes in and out smoothly and after the rtv sets it should be leak free. I know it's not the proper way but it should get me by until I get a new dipstick. In the meantime I can at least make my necessary timing and mixture adjustments.

Back