440 Headers

These were the manifolds I sweated over.

They were 1971 383HP so had the ugly covered wagon tin intake air heater business and I cut the bosses off the manifolds to clean them up and make them more like the earlier ones.

Below the manifolds in the pipe were exhaust emissions anti backfire valves, i.e. one way valves brazed into the exhaust pipe just below the flange to suck air from the valves covers, a "Pan evac" system, best thing I ever did for an engine, beyond balancing and blueprinting, give the block a way to get rid of that air being pumped around by the underside of the pistons, because your grandma's PCV system isn't going to do it, resulting in eventual oil leaks, nevermind pumping in hot air from the block as part of your mixture, not ideal for performance at all.

IMG_6895.JPG

This is the side with the heat riser junk removed and holes brazed shut.

No fan blades, and a windage tray, also alternator - w/ polished cases and matching Rally Red field coils - field cutout in the dashboard all to reduce parasitic drags. I spun this up in excess of 7000rpm and had to take non believers - Chevy/Ford guys - for rides to prove it, by way of driving down arterials in low gear with 3.23 gear = 60 mph in low gear at around 7000 rpm.

Overdid a few times @ 7500 for a split second, but 7200 wasn't unusual, on Valvoline 20W-50 racing oil.

Last edited:
Back