440 Valve cover bolt needed

68-NewYorker

Reaction score
I have been looking around for one spare valve cover bolt that fits a Chrysler 440 for my 68 New Yorker. From what I have read, the same bolt was used for valve covers for the 340, 383, 413, and 440, (possibly the 318). Apparently someone had used a non-factory style bolt but since I have been working to restore the car to its original parts, I wanted all the bolts to be the original style without having to buy a set for $35. Most everything on the car is original and I want to keep it in the preservation category. My local salvage yards and parts guys have NOTHING of the kind. I was really surprised after millions of Chrysler engines were built using the 1/2 head with 5/16 threaded bolt. Anyone have a spare? I'll create a thread with pictures on the work soon. Thank you!

I have been looking around for one spare valve cover bolt that fits a Chrysler 440 for my 68 New Yorker. From what I have read, the same bolt was used for valve covers for the 340, 383, 413, and 440, (possibly the 318). Apparently someone had used a non-factory style bolt but since I have been working to restore the car to its original parts, I wanted all the bolts to be the original style without having to buy a set for $35. Most everything on the car is original and I want to keep it in the preservation category. My local salvage yards and parts guys have NOTHING of the kind. I was really surprised after millions of Chrysler engines were built using the 1/2 head with 5/16 threaded bolt. Anyone have a spare? I'll create a thread with pictures on the work soon. Thank you!
If you still need bolts. I have some

Damn, there's got'a be a old boneyard in W. Verginnie that has some Imp's buried in the woods I'll bet...

Straightforward 'Pocket Pull'. (less time than waiting for the postman to arrive)

:thumbsup:

I doesn't matter to me holds fine for what it's worth no oil leakage

Wow! I'm sorry, but this shouldnt turn into a big deal. Offers have been made for one or a set of valve cover bolts. And I'm sure a little digging would turn up some locally. Let's get with the program!!!!

I don't need them, the OP does! Did you forget to take or did you OD on your meds today @ 2am??

Thanks for the responses! I just got back online today and back to the car. I found the comments helpful, enthusiastic, and funny. Appreciate the offer because I will need the bolt. Driver's side in on and sealed. Passenger side ready for the valve cover. The bolts do have the anchor on them.
68 NY (2).jpg
68 NY2 (2).jpg

Since I did not take the motor all the way down, I will get it sealed up then power wash the engine bay and touch it up. I have the decals also.

Damn, there's got'a be a old boneyard in W. Verginnie that has some Imp's buried in the woods I'll bet...

Straightforward 'Pocket Pull'. (less time than waiting for the postman to arrive)

:thumbsup:
I called a bunch of places, even a huge salvage place about 50 miles away and nobody had a single item to offer. The U-Pull-IT places are closed around here also. Sad.

I called a bunch of places, even a huge salvage place about 50 miles away and nobody had a single item to offer. The U-Pull-IT places are closed around here also. Sad.

Naa ya don't call, most won't waste their time on a single bolt request, what I mean't by 'Pocket Pull' is that you go to a yard that you have a reputation with (been there before) that let's you walk right out into the yard, may want to stop an ask for something that you may or may not need at the counter, have the right wrench in your pocket, poke around and hav'a lookee, grab the bolts and any other smalls you may need. Any yard that I've been in if the engine & transmission is still in the car it was fair game to pick parts, course this may be different now as these old cars are like gold to most. Who knows, you may also find something nice and rare that you want but really don't need. (ain't it always the case).

Of course don't show up in your street clothes & flip flops, that won't get far past the gate me thinks. Try and dress like the trade IYKWIM.

Seems some of the member don't realize you are looking for a OEM factory marked bolt to keep the original equipment complete on your motor. While their suggestion are fine and would work perfectly well you are wanting the correct style of bolt that it would have left the factory with captured washer and markings. ;)

Back