4x10 dash speaker replacement

bnz84

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
In preparation for some dash work on my 69 fury I thought I should be ready with a center speaker replacement. I know there are other simpler options out there but this is what I came up with. Its a convertible so I knew I needed speakers that could play loud and take some power (i will be adding an amp) On measuring the stock speaker mount it was clear that it could hold up to 12" wide with cutting. So 4x12. The dash pad holes are also about 12" wide. I kept the original studs in their location so the original speaker could be used again if needed. There are many options for speakers and probably 2 4" coaxials is what most would choose. But I found these 4x6 plates at good price because they were damaged. These Infinity Kappas are high sensitivity, decent power handling, and known for being bright and cutting through the road noise. But I didn't leave it there I made a box for the back of it and added some passive radiators. If you look at a mid size bluetooth speaker this is how they produce as much bass as they do. To be fair I have no idea how much bass I'm going to get but it will be more than leaving the backs open to the air. I covered the box with Peal&Seal roof flashing (lowes) as sound deadener because the box is just pop riveted aluminum sheet metal. Kind of flexible. I dont have AC so the box wont hit any ducting. But to be honest I'm not sure how well it will fit. I'll just use the box for something else if needed. Once I'm done putting everything together I'll test it and add more comments, but it wont be installed until the fall. If you want links to the parts I can do that too.
IMG_0071[1].JPG
IMG_0070[1].JPG
IMG_0072[1].JPG
IMG_0073[1].JPG
IMG_0074[1].JPG
IMG_0075[1].JPG
IMG_0076[1].JPG

And here it is finished. We will see how it fits and sounds.

IMG_0085[1].JPG
IMG_0086[1].JPG

Ironic U ask because Bob at ABC moparts just called saying dash pads are being made again so this speaker goes in soon. I have this center speaker(s) plus the 2 outboard stock placement speakers going in. Because the depth isn't much over the drivers side I couldnt go with a standard 3.5 so went with a shallow wide range 100 watt tweeters . Because I have convertible the goal is plenty of power handling from the dash if I need it. I will. I understand if this seems silly but a stealthy modern system was always my plan and all my cars have had similar upgrades like this.

I tested both pair of speakers I'm going to put in the dash with one of these $18 100w/ch (@24v!) mini amps that has Bluetooth built in. Powered it with 18v drill battery, paired it up and I was jamming. I pretty impressed by this little amp. It has input for 1/8 input jack so you don't have to use Bluetooth. A headphone output of phone or old MP3 would work too. For those that just want to leave the factory headunit in and power the speakers from another source here it is. Tuck it up under the dash and keep the volume knob at a constant 3/4. If you feed it 12v you will get only 40w/channel but still its nice. It WILL power 8 ohm speakers as I think the factory ones are? Not sure. My overbuilt speaker sounds pretty good but first listen still lacks bass. The rear passive radiators are new and tight and need some playing to loosen up. I'm not trying for big bass just accurate mids. The 4x6 Kappas are really nice sounding with good imaging meaning the sound does not seem to come from 1 place but from a general area. We will see once it has to get through the holes in the pad. Whatever amp I decide on I will high-pass at maybe @ 400hz so anything lower is filtered out. When I get the dash pad in I probably will start a separate thread about more than just the speakers with links to this thread.

IMG_0279[1].JPG
IMG_0281[1].JPG
IMG_0278[1].JPG

Back