60 fury story from Hemmings

I have a vintage postcard that shows Welk's staff and their new 1958 Dodges. I don't know if these were a gift or loan from Chrysler Corp, or if Welk bought them for his band. I took a photo of the card and the description on the back and combined them here in one cropped photo. It's cool to see the family next to the 2nd car from the left have a station wagon! Family transportation in the baby boom years!
Lawrence-Welk-1958-Dodges.jpg

WOW - new cars for the ENTIRE orchestra?..... either Dodge or the Welk "organization" was doing very well that year......... thanks for posting this fascinating photo.......

In the days of only 2 or 3 channels, (depending where you lived), he was a presence for many years. Still, that's Elvis style generosity.

That second car family is the Lennon Sisters. On his show for about 9 years I think. The first woman is Alice Lon, the first champagne lady. She was later fired and Welk hired the beautiful Norma Zimmer for the remainder of the run of the show.

That second car family is the Lennon Sisters. On his show for about 9 years I think. The first woman is Alice Lon, the first champagne lady. She was later fired and Welk hired the beautiful Norma Zimmer for the remainder of the run of the show.
Ah yes, the Lennon sisters..... at any given time one of them seemed to be pregnant....... a perpetual problem for the "Welk organization" who didn't like to show things like that on television - hence one of them was often singing from behind a large potted plant or something to disguise their condition........

still.... band leaders were seldom known for their generosity, so this IS nice to see.......

Back