64 dodge 880 Wagon gear-box mount.

Paul Sprosen

Reaction score
Hi, I am having trouble finding the correct gear-box mount. Mine is so badly destroyed I can not recognize it. The two top bolts are 4 inches apart, then it seems to have a circular spring (3 inch diameter) which may have been encased in rubber. Under the cross member is 2 inch round indentation then a centre bolt hole. Rockauto only stock one mount and it doses not look like mine. And a google search produced several variations but not mine.

That spring waz never encased in rubber. That big spring waz always naked to the world. Try Steve at Imperial Services ah bit north of Flint, Mi. I know he made the one for the '65 tail shaft because I bought the 1st one he made for my Batwagon and that beast had ah '62 727 with ah '65 tail shaft on it. (Got rid of the trunion that way too, lol) And yes I cut out the '61 trans support from the cross member and welded in the trans support from a '65 cross member into the '61 cross member that I found in ah Bone Yard down in Missouri after measuring 27 timez to cut and weld once. Sometimez we just have to fabricate to get what we want But isn't that whatz fun about the hobby? Jer

That spring waz never encased in rubber. That big spring waz always naked to the world. Try Steve at Imperial Services ah bit north of Flint, Mi. I know he made the one for the '65 tail shaft because I bought the 1st one he made for my Batwagon and that beast had ah '62 727 with ah '65 tail shaft on it. (Got rid of the trunion that way too, lol) And yes I cut out the '61 trans support from the cross member and welded in the trans support from a '65 cross member into the '61 cross member that I found in ah Bone Yard down in Missouri after measuring 27 timez to cut and weld once. Sometimez we just have to fabricate to get what we want But isn't that whatz fun about the hobby? Jer

Hi Jer, do you know if this was the mount the wagon came of the production line with. As I have not found any info / photos or for sale mounts like it. I believe my set up ( box / tail-shaft with trurin ) are original. Cheers Paul.

MJ7pWMA7ZTc9igN0pa-iP_JyWFPJi6X13bXhCAarrrwSlHzW7rmxHN3165GZYxnB3U2N2Ic_esegqJPSog=w1545-h869-no.jpg

Bad pic sorry, this is the only pic I have of it. I will try and get out and take a pic tonight.

Hi Jer, do you know if this was the mount the wagon came of the production line with. As I have not found any info / photos or for sale mounts like it. I believe my set up ( box / tail-shaft with trurin ) are original. Cheers Paul.
I know it waz stock in the cast iron '61 TF so I'd guardedly say yes. Doesn't matter really. It just matterz what you want to and have to do to get another Mopar on the street. My choice waz to get rid of the Cast Iron 727 AND the trunion AND the band parking brake all in one fell swoop. The answer for me waz to do it all at one time and it made it easy and the end result worked out great. BTW, My choice for the heart transplant waz a well seasoned '67 Imperial 440 block which the '62 push button mated to fine and I found that the '65 tail shaft worked well to get rid of the trunion and the band brake. It did require a custom drive shaft being made with a reverse slip spline set up but that waz just icing on the cake to get rid of the trunion. FWI, I found that replacing the complete rear axle with a 1970 Newport axle (which waz ah drop in) and allowed me to to convert my parking brake to the rear drums of that '70 rear axle and perfectly hook it up with a mid-'80s Dodge Maxi Van linkage set up. Necessity iz ah Mother some timez, lol. Jer

Last edited:
Hi Jake, thanks for the photo, that is the same as mine. Doses the lower bolt travel up inside the spring and attach to the top plate. As I removed mine and it looks to short. Do you like the item on ebay, as you mentioned Imperial Services made yours. Cheers Paul.

Correct the bolt goes through the washer, then spring and into the rubber mount. once the weight of the tranny is on the spring, the bolt will be long enough. Its just a piece of rubber molded into steel, so I see no reason why the ebay one would not work well. I know Jer is not a fan of the trunion joint, but I rebuilt mine and it is reliable and smooth for many miles. I do not have high horsepower so I am not beating it.

Just me Jake, no big deal Pal. The trunion boots are out there (in all sizez) but the shaft, ballz and other bitz are like hens teeth. And in today's world drive shaft shopz are in way short supply that know how critical the balance iz on that cross shaft. Even Mother didn't live with the trunion very long. Happy Trails, Jer

An Cheers to you too Paul. Glad you're on your way. BTW, Next time you scoot out to Bondi Beach, Take your Camera and give these guyz ah treat of some of your local talent, lol. Jer

Back